TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any planes for the weekend? Anyone wanta go camping and wheelin? Im just trying to get out of denver for the weekend. Nothing planned yet, wanted to see if anyone else was doing anything?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sure. Want to go to Moab? I can't make it for the June run. Leaving Denver Friday morning with some friends. Wheeling and music festival. Come on along!!

·
20,355 Posts
I will be camping with a group of freinds up 7mile. As long as they open on time I will be wheeling kelly flats and moody hill. Pm me if you are interested in tagging along at all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
desert rocks, yea ive got few friends going out for that.. but I dnt have the cash for all that! Sounds like a great time.
Im liken the trail whale pics

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be camping with a group of freinds up 7mile. As long as they open on time I will be wheeling kelly flats and moody hill. Pm me if you are interested in tagging along at all.
Cool ike ill pm you tomarrow

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm heading down to the sand dunes (medano pass), think todefy is coming also......maybe. You could join us but that's a long ways from denver

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'm heading down to the sand dunes (medano pass), think todefy is coming also......maybe. You could join us but that's a long ways from denver
Day trip or camping?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Medano Pass here too. Feel free to PM me if you wanna run some nearby trails over the weekend. Is there cell service there? I've never been.

·
Registered
828 Posts
What can those going to Medano Pass (dunes) tell me about it? That's something i've always wanted to do. I assume it's gonna be pretty crowded this weekend? I see on the website it is pet friendly, but only on leash, can you get into areas where they can get off leash away from people when not in camp?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What can those going to Medano Pass (dunes) tell me about it? That's something i've always wanted to do. I assume it's gonna be pretty crowded this weekend? I see on the website it is pet friendly, but only on leash, can you get into areas where they can get off leash away from people when not in camp?
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... but when I was there two weeks ago, this is what I noticed.

Since we were sand boarding the dunes, we choose to camp close (only crossed one water crossing). We entered from the South Side (only?) park gates. I'm sure you'll need a day pass, but will not need a campsite permit; those are for people that are camping in the lots herded like cattle. Medano Pass shown as "Medano Pass Primitive Road" on this map seemed to have many campsites, but didn't seem very crowded. I would recommend getting there early to secure a campsite though as I think it's first come-first serve. Cell service near the paved sections of the park was decent (and I have shitty AT&T), but up the road was patchy at best for me or my friend with Verizon.

The actual road is roughly wide enough for 1.5 cars in most places, and there are some blind spots around hills that could be potentially dangerous. IE some noob in a jeep trying to maintain speed attacking the hill and not paying attention to you just cresting it from the other direction. My stock tacoma did just fine with super low tread BFG A/T's... I did air down the tires to 20psi though.

Conditions were nice in the morning, but hot in the afternoon. Bring sunscreen or a hat... I didn't think to right after shaving my head and payed dearly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yep nailed it , my mom lives in monte vista so pretty sure she is going to go save us a spot, the one we liked the best was at marker 1.8 so if everything goes good that's where ill be if you want you can always try to text me number is 4oneseven 2O7 fourfour ninier six, when you others heading up there. Im heading down there right around 4-430

·
Registered
828 Posts
Are you guys going as a group or what is your plan? I'm thinking about heading down with my wife and 2 dogs just to get away from the city. Not really looking to do any hardcore wheeling, mainly just cruise around and see the area (never been).

My wife works Friday so we wouldn't head out until early Saturday morning, is it even possible to get a spot Saturday morning on a holiday weekend or are we wasting our time? I would love to camp away from the hordes, but i don't know the area at all so i'm a little concerned about getting there Saturday.

I've actually wanted to go down there for a few years as i hear it's beautiful country, but when i saw it mentioned it really got my attention.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is incredible country. Definitely check it out now or soon.

Think we are heading to Crestone on Thursday eve. Not sure on plans for the weekend. May have my Tacoma, on 33's, buddy with the same. Not my trip but will plan on wheeling some.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Are you guys going as a group or what is your plan? I'm thinking about heading down with my wife and 2 dogs just to get away from the city. Not really looking to do any hardcore wheeling, mainly just cruise around and see the area (never been).

My wife works Friday so we wouldn't head out until early Saturday morning, is it even possible to get a spot Saturday morning on a holiday weekend or are we wasting our time? I would love to camp away from the hordes, but i don't know the area at all so i'm a little concerned about getting there Saturday.

I've actually wanted to go down there for a few years as i hear it's beautiful country, but when i saw it mentioned it really got my attention.
There are 18 camp sites up the pass away from all the people so im sure you could find a place to camp, I've never been down the other side of the pass towards wescliff but im sure there is camping there too, im sure you'll find something. And the only "hardcore" wheeling down that way is mt. Blanca, other than that medano has a couple of kinda deep water crossings but that's it really

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Use the bear boxes at the campsites. Every time I've camped on Medano (7-8 times) we've had bear encounters. Don't sleep in clothes you've cooked in, keep food inside the trucks if the bear box is full, keep the dog food packed away, etc.......

Watch for snakes as well. We found a big rattle snake at the Blanca trailhead last time we ran it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Use the bear boxes at the campsites. Every time I've camped on Medano (7-8 times) we've had bear encounters. Don't sleep in clothes you've cooked in, keep food inside the trucks if the bear box is full, keep the dog food packed away, etc.......

Watch for snakes as well. We found a big rattle snake at the Blanca trailhead last time we ran it.
I was wondering if those things where there for a good reason or if it was because of it being a national park, does anyone know if firearms allowed (self protection)?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was wondering if those things where there for a good reason or if it was because of it being a national park, does anyone know if firearms allowed (self protection)?
No discharge of firearms in the NP or NP preserve. You can shoot in the NF at the top of the pass.

·
Registered
523 Posts
No discharge of firearms in the NP or NP preserve. You can shoot in the NF at the top of the pass.
I was meaning more bear attack situation, but either way I guess a discharge is a discharge

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I was meaning more bear attack situation, but either way I guess a discharge is a discharge
My buddy got a warning for firearm discharge in a national park. He was trying to scare a bear away. He should have gotten a ticket but park rangers gave him a warning. They showed up to camp to give him a ticket and the bear kept showing up while the park rangers were there. They did setup a bear trap up the road. People camping there before us was feeding the bear according to the ranger :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts