TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive got a 98 tacoma 2.7 5 spd 4wd and im pretty dead set on converting it a to a diesel. I also definitely want to go with the mercedes om617 turbo diesel out of the old 300d so my question is this, has anyone done it before, i know its been done to older trucks but i havent been able to find anything on one in a tacoma (point me in the right direction?) also i have the w59 and i believe most of the trucks that run this motor hav switched to the r150. necessary or is there an adapter for my w59? or should i just go with the r150 and call it a day? pretty much im looking for any and all info on putting this little diesel beast into my tacoma. thanks for your help in advance guys!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I can second that I haven't seen it before either but that doesn't mean that it hasn't either. Judging from another's build out on the east coast I would try to find another diesel that would be a little on the more powerful side.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188457

I did find this upon a little bit of Google work. 6BT swap. Not a whole left that's toyota but here's the link anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPu8uSns1P0

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
if your going to do a diesel swap id look at one of the VW diesel motors. lighter and more powerful than the mercedes motor and there is some aftermarket support plus they are easier to acquire parts for.

I think there is a VW swap on Pirate that shows the technical stuff.

·
Registered
405 Posts
if your going to do a diesel swap id look at one of the VW diesel motors. lighter and more powerful than the mercedes motor and there is some aftermarket support plus they are easier to acquire parts for.

I think there is a VW swap on Pirate that shows the technical stuff.
A 3.0l 5cyl is going to be much better matched to a tacoma than a 1.6 or 1.9l 4cyl. I'm all for the VW diesels, but not in a truck. They work great in Suzuki Samurai's, but that's a much lighter vehicle. I helped build a rabbit with a 1.6td that hauled ass when we were done.

You can turn up the pump on the OM617's too, it's just a bit more work for a bit less gains, but the torque of the bigger engine will make the truck much more pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
843 Posts
And of course there is also getting your hands on a 1kz-GTE as well. Hooks right into a r150 forward shift tranny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want to a strong Mercedes diesel, use the Om904la. It's a 4cyl and has tons of torque.

Read up on it and see if it's for you...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts