TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new sliders will be here tomorrow and I'm looking for advise on cleaning priming and painting of the bare metal as I have never done this. Would brake cleaner work as a degreaser? What kind of primer and paint would you recommend?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
there hae been a couple of threads on this subject in the past few weeks, try looking in the fabrication folder, or do a search.

But generally brake cleaner will begin the process for you. I prefer mineral spirits.

I normally wipe down to get general gunk off. Then take a wire brush on either a grinder or drill depending on size of area I am working on. and go over it very good. wipe down a second time with mineral spirits.

After that is dried, prime with an automotive etching primer at least two coats. (you can buy this at an auto parts store or even Wally world in rattle can)

After that is dry paint with at least two coats of your paint. I have also been told that if you paint while second coat of primer is still tacky, you get better adhesion, but personally I wait until it is fully dry.

Avoid using a clear coat on sliders as you will want to touch up your sliders later on, and clear coat just makes it harder to match the color, although not impossible.

since the sliders are brand new/bare metal you could probably replace the wire brush with a scotch brite pad or stell wool soaked in mineral spirits.

If there are any BB's or irregular surface areas, you can also sand it to smooth it out. As normal start with coarse grit and work to a finer grit to remove sand marks.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
no problem, just take your time and remember multiple lighter coats are much better than one heavy coat that runs

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ShowStop, that was a good thread. I've been a member since October and have found all the info I needed with the search function. I figured it was about time I posted something, plus it gives you guys something to do.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Arizona! You guys have some tough rocks out there. Don't know if they're sandstone or granite or what, but they are hard. If you're going to be really using those sliders, then it doesn't matter how tough the paint is, or how pretty it starts out. Pretty soon it's going to get scraped, chipped, ground and gouged off - along with some of the metal underneath.

I would suggest just keeping it straightforward and easy. Wire brush them to provide a scuffed and solid surface. Wipe with mineral spirits to degrease. Go to it with just a rattlecan of topcoat. When they get gouged up bad enough, file off any jagged bits and repeat from step 1.

This is just my opinion, ignore it if you want. I just think the fancy stuff is probably superfluous to the application in question.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the question and replies, I'm doing my last welding tomorrow and then own to the prep and paint. Will post a thread build when completely finished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts