TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where are you guys buying your steel ?? and whats the best thickness to run for my flatbed/cage ?? i want to make it from 1 3/4'' DOM but dont know if .120 wall is too thin or what.. my friend told me i can buy a 20' stick of DOM for $70 at flex fab here in cumming,ga but i dont know what thickness that is...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Metal Supermarkets
maps.google.com
1000 Williams Dr
Marietta, GA 30066
(770) 218-0550

is that them ??

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't think that you need to pay more for the DOM, but that's just my opinion. DOM is stronger, and it is more expensive. Unless you are building a cage for a racecar that goes 200MPH, I don't think you really need DOM.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im also building sliders that will tie into my flatbed/cage, where i have taken my truck before i have almost flipped and i can see flopping in my future so DOM it is, maybe HREW..

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
just a question or two, but are you making just a flat bed w/ a role bar or an all out flat bed w/ full exo cage? A buddy of mine made his exo out of 2 inch dom and it is way to big, i think people stick w/ 1.5dom for the exo. If you are making a flat bed w/ a sick hoop then 1.75dom would be cool.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flatbed and a hoop around the cab tieing into my sliders, basically like the allpro flatbed but its not going to have bedsides or anything like that

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You can probably get DOM cheaper through Georgia Steel (downtown Atlanta).
depending on what how much you actually need, I may have some in my stash...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i probably need about 60' of 1 3/4'' .120 wall DOM...so 3 x 20' sticks basically

with 60' i should be able to do this :

i wanna make it like that but the 2 bars that come from the hoop to the back, i will mount from the hoop to the middle

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That tube bed looks like it's built out of 1.5" tubing and not 1.75"... It's a little over kill doing it in 1.75" in my opinion.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mad_african said:
You can probably get DOM cheaper through Georgia Steel (downtown Atlanta).
depending on what how much you actually need, I may have some in my stash...
would you happen to have any 2x2x.25'' and 2.5x2.5x.25'' square tubing laying around in 2ft sections..i need 2' of each to build my front square shaft

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
2x2x.25'' I have plenty of - 2.5x2.5x.25'' I doubt I have - it will also need to be seemless in order to slide the 2" tube into it. I would look at etrailer to see what I'm talking about. They actually have lengths of 2.5" reciever tube of 24", 36" and 48"

Check it out here.... http://www.etrailer.com/c-COMBO.htm

Yeah it's expensive, but they do provide free or low cost shipping if you order $150 or more from them - There's a really good selection of Christmas gifts you could give yourself to make up the difference to save on shipping.. HA HA.. I always find myself ordering mucho from places like these... Check out the Bargain Bin too http://www.etrailer.com/c-BB.htm

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it doesnt have to be seamless, on the smaller tube i cant grind a slot down across it where it wont hit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts