TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the noob question but were can you find metric bolts? What im looking for is a metric bolt that will fit in a excisting threaded hole underneith the battery tray so i can mount a external tranny filter. Thanks, i if get reamed for this question give me you best shot. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Sorry for the noob question but were can you find metric bolts? What im looking for is a metric bolt that will fit in a excisting threaded hole underneith the battery tray so i can mount a external tranny filter. Thanks, i if get reamed for this question give me you best shot. :D
First you need to determine what size the current one is. Most likely if it's a standard type mounting bolt it's either the 8mm thread (12mm head) or 10 mm thread (14mm head). Toyota likes using the 1.25 thread pitch so once you decide what size it is then just goto the local hardware store and get an appropriate length bolt that fits.

Hope this helps.

David

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
The only place I've had luck finding bolts for my Taco around me is an Ace Hardware. They have it all, at least the one local to me. Home Depot and Lowes are teh suck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Like Matt said, stay away from the big box hardware stores and stick to the smaller ones. Most of the time if you are looking for an odd sized bolt they will let you test fit before you buy it at the smaller places. Lowe's and Home Depot you pretty much have to guess and hope your right when you try and fit it.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Dyingyak said:
Like Matt said, stay away from the big box hardware stores and stick to the smaller ones. Most of the time if you are looking for an odd sized bolt they will let you test fit before you buy it at the smaller places. Lowe's and Home Depot you pretty much have to guess and hope your right when you try and fit it.
Yeah the cool thing about this palce was I did call ahead and ask and the guy went and looked. He said they had some in stock and would hold them for me. I got down there and went in to the cashier and there they were in a bag ready to go! Now that's customer service! :D Hurray for the "Little Guy"!

This is some place with a different name but for some reason they're associated with Ace Hardware.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
The holes in my 04 under the battery tray took a 6mm bolt and had a 10mm head. Any hardware store,lowes, home depot etc should have some.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Matt said:
This is some place with a different name but for some reason they're associated with Ace Hardware.
I used to work for a hardware store affiliated with Ace. They are basically franchises, each hardware store is independently owned but use Ace as the merchandise supplier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
First, you need a pitch gauge for metric threads to determine exactly what you need. Here is a link to buy a good one online.

Snap On Metric Size/Thread Gauges

Check around your local auto parts stores. Toyota dealers may also have some as well. Buy yourself one of those small flat plastic containers and fill it up with common sizes for your truck. Skid plate bolts are one (M8x1.25...)that you will need. Try to buy harder grade bolts and nuts, they are less likely to twist off or strip.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
Your local autozone should have metric hardware- You can pick up a nice little Dorman Brand assortedbox of metric nuts & bolts.

If you go to a hardware store- Bolts are defined by the diameter of the threaded body and Not by the head. If the guy above is correct- and its a 6mm bolt- spec should look similar to
M6-1.0 x 16 mm

Metric 6mm(bolt diameter) - 1.0 (thread pitch) x 16mm (length)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts