TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tire would catch anyones eye. I have truely not seen any other tire like it. I do a lot of mud and trail...no crawling. Also, my truck is an every day driver.

Can anyone tell me a bit about this tire?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
This tire would catch anyones eye. I have truely not seen any other tire like it. I do a lot of mud and trail...no crawling. Also, my truck is an every day driver.

Can anyone tell me a bit about this tire?
don't know much but I think I'm going to try a set of MTZs
the few writeups I've been able to find were all good.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I have the 36/14.5/15's and in snow they are ok if its packed if its not over 3 inches will give you a fit. Rocks there not the best. IF i were to do it again i would pass on them. in the sixe i have there like 260something last time i checked. I have noticed they wear fast on the street and they are really funny shaped now. I run 20psi max on the street and i have this nice worn spot on the center. Even coming down from a run aired down pretty far my buddy said the tires will puff up and only hit in the center.

The sides are pretty cool looking i guess but for the money id go tsl's.

I know a guy with Baja claws and he hates them. He said the last snow storm we had he couldnt leave. i was out but he said the truck was stuck in the drive way.

I cant even find em anymore. 4wheel parts didnt have them when i checked.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
vwfastg60 said:
I have the 36/14.5/15's and in snow they are ok if its packed if its not over 3 inches will give you a fit. Rocks there not the best. IF i were to do it again i would pass on them. in the sixe i have there like 260something last time i checked. I have noticed they wear fast on the street and they are really funny shaped now. I run 20psi max on the street and i have this nice worn spot on the center. Even coming down from a run aired down pretty far my buddy said the tires will puff up and only hit in the center.

The sides are pretty cool looking i guess but for the money id go tsl's.

I know a guy with Baja claws and he hates them. He said the last snow storm we had he couldnt leave. i was out but he said the truck was stuck in the drive way.

I cant even find em anymore. 4wheel parts didnt have them when i checked.
which of the Baja's do you have? there seem to be a half dozen diffenent models.
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
bray said:
Liking my MTZ's so far.
kewl, thanks

I couldn't find anything on those wheels though...link?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hytenor, you're not likely to find anything on the wheels. I bought them from a wheel & tire store out of N. Carolina (online). They were on sale for clearance for $80 each. Obsolete, so I'm screwed forever if I break one LOL.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
bray said:
Hytenor, you're not likely to find anything on the wheels. I bought them from a wheel & tire store out of N. Carolina (online). They were on sale for clearance for $80 each. Obsolete, so I'm screwed forever if I break one LOL.
o well, now, are you kicking yourself for not buying 6? :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
In the spring I will also be buying a set of the MTZ's, but for winter driving and wheelin in the northwest in snow and ice ya can't beat the BFG A/T's, I am also going to get a set of wheelers black steelies to go with the MT MTZ's, so I can put as little pavement time on em as possible!! I've been lookin at these tires for a month or so now, well since they hit the market anyway and they look quite aggressive for our slippery spring and fall wheelin out here in the great north wet!!! :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Rock-N-Ruin said:
In the spring I will also be buying a set of the MTZ's, but for winter driving and wheelin in the northwest in snow and ice ya can't beat the BFG A/T's, I am also going to get a set of wheelers black steelies to go with the MT MTZ's, so I can put as little pavement time on em as possible!! I've been lookin at these tires for a month or so now, well since they hit the market anyway and they look quite aggressive for our slippery spring and fall wheelin out here in the great north wet!!! :)
I hope they work for you. They have made good for me down in the southeast (mud, sand and hard dirt) but I can't say they are good or bad on rocks. I wish I could because I'd really like to try them. (On rocks that is).

·
Registered
256 Posts
hytenor said:
don't know much but I think I'm going to try a set of MTZs
the few writeups I've been able to find were all good.
I have 2,000 miles on my MTZ's. So far I couldn't be happier. They are quiet, clean out exceptionally well, and so far totally exceeded my expectations in the snow and ice. I did have them siped before installing, 1/8", and will sipe them again before next winter. Im running 33-12.5-17's. 203$ bucks a tire.
I have always ran BFG MT's in the past, but they didn't have this size. Time will tell on the wear. But so far they are looking good.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
20Montana said:
I have 2,000 miles on my MTZ's. So far I couldn't be happier. They are quiet, clean out exceptionally well, and so far totally exceeded my expectations in the snow and ice. I did have them siped before installing, 1/8", and will sipe them again before next winter. Im running 33-12.5-17's. 203$ bucks a tire.
I have always ran BFG MT's in the past, but they didn't have this size. Time will tell on the wear. But so far they are looking good.
I thought they are already siped :confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
hytenor said:
I thought they are already siped :confused:
They have the factory siping. I had them ran on a siping machine, for the winter conditions. Provides a lot more traction in the snow and ice. Cost is about 10$ a tire. If you want a pic with the extra siping let me know. Might not happen tonight, but Ill get you one.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
20Montana said:
They have the factory siping. I had them ran on a siping machine, for the winter conditions. Provides a lot more traction in the snow and ice. Cost is about 10$ a tire. If you want a pic with the extra siping let me know. Might not happen tonight, but Ill get you one.
that'd be great.

I figure that to much siping wouldn't be so hot for rocks though....might tear them up quickly

·
Registered
256 Posts
hytenor said:
that'd be great.

I figure that to much siping wouldn't be so hot for rocks though....might tear them up quickly
If you go too deep it will. That's why I opted for 1/8". I figure I am not going to be off road as much this time of year as I will the summer. And by the time winter is over, March,April, Most of the siped tread will be gone. I ll run the summer and have them siped again about next Nov.

Here is a pic of the MTZ siped. This is not my tire, and has about 16,000 miles on them, maybe more. But it gives you an idea of the siping. Ill get one of mine tomarrow, with a lot more tread, if you want.

In fact in this pic, the factory siping is gone. I think factory siping on most any tire is about 1/8" to start with.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
20Montana said:
If you go too deep it will. That's why I opted for 1/8". I figure I am not going to be off road as much this time of year as I will the summer. And by the time winter is over, March,April, Most of the siped tread will be gone. I ll run the summer and have them siped again about next Nov.

Here is a pic of the MTZ siped. This is not my tire, and has about 16,000 miles on them, maybe more. But it gives you an idea of the siping. Ill get one of mine tomarrow, with a lot more tread, if you want.

In fact in this pic, the factory siping is gone. I think factory siping on most any tire is about 1/8" to start with.

Ah, makes sense for your conditions. I might look into siping just the inner lugs and not the outers though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
hytenor said:
Ah, makes sense for your conditions. I might look into siping just the inner lugs and not the outers though.
They can do that too. Holler before you get ready to buy, and I can give you a better idea by then. But for now, all is well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts