TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, these tires may not have been such a great choice afterall :rolleyes:

They will probably be great on the trail but on the street they pretty much suck. I have yet to get a flat tread on the road...22# in the rears and still no wear on the outside edges for about the first inch.

fronts are a little better with more weight but I'm still way down from where I had hoped to be as far as psi goes...26.

at least they are quiet on the hwy...about the same as my onl BFG Mts.

I know the low air pressure is contributing to my, cough...14mpg....at the moment :eek: down from about 18 before the swap.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i was actually wondering how these did. i saw some on a heep today and thought they looked pretty good. i was thinking about the mtz or the claws...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I love mine. 315-75-16 MTZ. I run about 30# in each tire and they are wearing nicely. My only complaint was the tire shop took a few tries to balance them correctly. Maybe they need to "break in" a little.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had them for over a year and have had no wear problems. Some of your decreased mileage is probably due to the increase in weight.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had them for over a year and have had no wear problems. Some of your decreased mileage is probably due to the increase in weight.

the mileage problem is due to a number of factors, only one of which is the psi ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love mine. 315-75-16 MTZ. I run about 30# in each tire and they are wearing nicely. My only complaint was the tire shop took a few tries to balance them correctly. Maybe they need to "break in" a little.
interesting since the 16s are a D rated tire with stiffer sidewalls.

what width rim?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on how the belts are laid up, you might actually need to go HIGHER psi to get the edges down...
I'll try that, thanks.

the truck sure rides nice with the low pressure though :p

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what rim width and tire size?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are 16x10" wide rims
dang, I was thinking of going with 16s but figured the heavier sidewalls would cause a need for lower psi with our trucks being so light.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
dang, I was thinking of going with 16s but figured the heavier sidewalls would cause a need for lower psi with our trucks being so light.
My 33-12.50x15's howl on the highway but they handle damn good. They also make me happy in the mud down here but you're not in muddy situations. 4-Wheeler did a test of mud terrains and they did good there but they needed to be heated-up for rocks so that tells me that the treads will be worn out fast. But down here in Alabama, I just keep them spinning and slingeing the mud out of the big tread voids and I'll be OK!
On your behalf, many FJC's used these tires on the Rubicon with much success. My tire rubber compound seems to be on the soft side.I'm kinda liking that.

I do need a daily-driver though!

Damn, almost forgot, they ride great at 20 psi, but they do great at 30 psi without notice.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
MTZ's

im running 33x12.5x17's on my 2006 DC and have had no problems with wear at 14,000mi. They are a little noisy on the highway, but they are a mud tire afterall. Kinda got stuck with them, due to other tires not coming in on time and had to have 17's with my lift, but am happy with them so far.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I finally got onto a real trail last week including some big rocks and some deep snow. I think I'll really like these tires after all. The grip the rocks like crazy (didn't really need lockers) and climb right through the snow. On the road they have finally settled out and are wearing much better. Noise isn't bad on the hwy, a little worse than the MTs but nothing like swampers.

So far, I would buy them again. I'll know more after the end of July and I've had a chance to run more trails.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i often wondered about those. I have a set of the toyo mt/s the way i drive they would were out quicker then any thing maybe its the first little bit or something. I really dont know. they hook up like crazy tho. 305 70 16 i have 2 sets of tire tho. I run at 30 psi on 16x8 allied type 51 cup a little bit not bad

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i often wondered about those. I have a set of the toyo mt/s the way i drive they would were out quicker then any thing maybe its the first little bit or something. I really dont know. they hook up like crazy tho. 305 70 16 i have 2 sets of tire tho. I run at 30 psi on 16x8 allied type 51 cup a little bit not bad
I gave up trying to get a completely flat tread pattern dropping the psi. Even at 20 they won't give a completely flat pattern from edge to edge. So, I settled for the having the edges not wear until the centers get down that far and keep them at 35#. These tires are a full inch wider than other 35x12.50s so I figure I'm not really losing anything :p

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

so, about a year on these things and they are wearing perfectly, still over 1/2" of tread. The tread footprint wasn't flat at first due to the fact that these suckers take a while to get broken in, LOL. Once that was done they give a nice solid footprint even at 35# f/r. They hold a good load of weight in w/o adding any more air (not recommended anyway) as well.

One objection would be the fact that these 35x12.50s are a full inch wider in both tread width and sidewall-to-sidewall than other tires of the same "size", like the BFG or MTR....so, they have that much more rolling resistance and hence, worse gas mileage and drop in power.
But..on the trail this has really helped with traction. Snow traction is also awesome and I was able to air down to around 2psi w/o any problems popping a bead or spinning the tire on a rim...amazing. I have been running them at 15/f and 20/r for general trail use and have hot had any issues. I keep thinking I'll need to air down more but the truck just climbs whatever I point it at so why bother? ;) The edges are showing a little wear from rock crawling but nothing extreme. I have managed to tear a few chunks off the lugs but, again, not bad at all.
Hwy manners are just fine. The tires are a little noisier than than my old BFG Mts but not that much. Balancing them has not been an issue at all and the tire shop guys have never had any trouble getting them to zero out even with the hub-centric mount. (I had some vibes a while back that I though was tire related but it turned out to be the front spring hanger bolts being loose...oops...)

I still have a little trouble getting used to the extra width that the SAS...and these tires...has produced but it is getting easier to judge and pick lines :p

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
They look kind of like Cooper STT's to me. Softer compound????

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Chris,

How many miles are you questimating on these tires?

I may do these or the ATZ because I do so much street driving.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts