TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted up a while back about this, and then fell behind schedule, so I figured I'd post up fresh.

Here are the no-shit dates for doing my 4WD Conversion. I welcome any & all help. I would be greatful for anyone with any experience or applicable knowlege.

Destination: Great Lakes, Illinois.

Dates:
Front End: 28 - 29 April(Diff, Hubs, CV's, UCA's, Hoes)
Drive Train: 5 - 6 May(Adapter, T-Case, D-shafts, Shifter, etc.)

The to-do list:

28 - 29 April
  • Removing stock UCA's
  • Removing stock PreRunner Spindles
  • Installing new Camburg UCA's
  • Installing 4WD Spindles w/ Aisin manual hubs
  • Installing Donahoe Racing Extended-Travel Coilovers
  • Installing front diff
  • Installing CV Shafts
5 - 6 May
  • Removing stock PreRunner drive shaft
  • Removing transmission tail housing and installing new Inchworm tail housing/adapter plate
  • Installing Inchworm Transfer Case
  • Installing FROR Twin Sticks
  • Installing front & rear drive shafts
We will also be taking lots of pics as 4WD Toyota Owner Magazine has contacted me about running a major feature (or maybe a multi-part story, to be seen over several issues) on my conversion.

This is a big job, but most of the parts are pretty much bolt-on, and I think that with a couple of capable, and knowlegable guys we COULD get this done in one day. I/We will be doing the wrenching at the Auto Hobby Shop on base (yes - you can drive on in your vehicle), where we will be indoors, and have use of a lift, air tools, hydraulic jacks, etc, etc. I expect each "weekend" of wrenching to only take 1 day. I'm planning to only need each of the Saturdays listed, but keeping the Sundays open just in case :scared:

If you're willing to help out. I'll also buy food and drink (beer), or whatever.

Any Volunteers?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Jamie, glad to see you have a solid plan. Also that 4WD T.O.M is willing to run a blip about it.

I need to check with my wife on our family plans those weekends, but I will do everything I can to come up and help. If need be, I'll bring my camera as well, unfortunately it is conventional and not digital but there are ways around that as well!

I'll try to stay in touch with you over the first part of the week so we can coordinate!

·
Registered
203 Posts
:dunno:

Anybody?
Don't forget to check with the midwest contact list. I have to help others get ready for cruise moab, I promised, sorry. Looking forward to your write up. So are you getting it ready for Tall Corn?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Split my plane tickets with ya. :D j/k

GL with your swap, Jamie! I wish I was closer to lend you a hand. Very cool that you are going to be featured in 4WD Mag.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Jamie, I checked the calendar, and this weekend (April 29th) I already made arrangements to go to Ohio for some business. But the following weekend I should be able to come up and help.

Will that work for you? I have more experience "tearing down" than what you have in store for your second weekend, but maybe the extra set of hands will come in handy (on the truck you bunch of perverts!)

Anyway, Jamie, I think you still have my phone numbers so call me so we can discuss this. If you don't have the digits hit me up on Pm and I'll get them to you.

what about Josh? is he coming up to help?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I've got to do brakes on all 4 corners of Joli's car this weekend. Next weekend I'm not sure what's going on with work. I just started my new job last week and I'll be finishing my second week of training this week. When I get started, I'll have to work on Saturdays for 5 hours if I don't get 7 deals sold during the week. So I'm just not sure what's going to pan out with that.

I was hoping that you'd have all of this ready to go in March. I was VERY available then. :( I was really hoping to come up and help you get this all wrapped up, FINALLY! :D

Someone mentioned earlier to hit up everyone in the Midwest. If you'd like, I can do a mass email and post this link. Just let me know.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So are you getting it ready for Tall Corn?
No - I'm headed to Moab from 19 - 27 May. Less than a month away! I gotta get this thing done.
Jamie, I checked the calendar, and this weekend (April 29th) I already made arrangements to go to Ohio for some business. But the following weekend I should be able to come up and help.

Will that work for you?
Yeah - that would be great. The stuff I'm doing this weekend isn't the part I'm the most concerned with, so having you here for the 2nd weekend would be good. If you can only come for one of the days, I'd rather it be for the 2nd part!
I've got to do brakes on all 4 corners of Joli's car this weekend. Next weekend I'm not sure what's going on with work.
Well - the more, the merrier. If you can make it - great. If you can't - No worries. But I figure a few heads (that know Tacomas) are better than 1.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well - I got the first part done. ALL BY MY SELF! I was on a tight schedule, working at the shop on base - they closed at 5pm.

I didn't have time to take 1 single photo. I had to keep going if I was going to finish by closing time. - I really didn't want to leave my truck there overnight.

So on the 3 mile drive home - I discovered that I have some sort of problem. I definitely have some troubleshooting to do in my front end. My truck sounds like a piece of shit right now.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=827143#post827143

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well - I got the first part done. ALL BY MY SELF!
No one from the IL chapter helped?? What is up with that? Do you have some help this weekend?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah - NOBODY was available to help last weekend, but I prevailed and got 'er done anyway.

A couple of guys have offered to give me a hand this weekend, but so far none of them are 100% firm.

One of my friends from work said that he could probably help out this weekend.

...SO we'll see...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
damn i wish i could have helped out... i was busys with work and finding a new place to live and it sucked, much rather been there to help out! looks good jamie, can't wait till moab!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts