TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you get first Gas or mig welder?

·
Registered
779 Posts
mig my nig... otherwise stackin dimes is pretty shitty..

but what do i know about welding? (nothing)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Do you mean gas as in oxy acetylene or gas? If the answer is yes, then I would get a MIG welder with shielding gas.

Wally

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Which would you get first Gas or mig welder?
Are you comparing flux-core to gas shielded MIG?

Depends on what you are welding but flux is good to start on. Find some used cheap flux-core welder on Craigslist and practice. Once you've got the hang of it, ditch the crappy welder and get something nice (170-180 amp range).

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Are you comparing flux-core to gas shielded MIG?

Depends on what you are welding but flux is good to start on. Find some used cheap flux-core welder on Craigslist and practice. Once you've got the hang of it, ditch the crappy welder and get something nice (170-180 amp range).
fuck fluxcore skip straight to an argon co2 shielded gas mix mig welder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry I ment oxy acetylene, I took a welding class in high school and did good with oxy acetylene but I tried a flux core MIG and couldn't run a bead it just spattered.

·
Registered
299 Posts
For tubing and stuff go with mig. Mig with gas will be the easiest to learn and look the best. A 110 mig in the 140 amp range will work real good up to about a 1/8". But for 1/4" or more I would go 220 180amp or more. I have a HTP 200amp mig with 75/25 gas mix rated to weld 3/8".
So to answer your question mig 220 with gas first.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hands down...MIG. No flux core, run C02 Argon mix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Im going to go with the Gas MIG. Any tips on angles to hold the tip etc...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your best bet is to grab a 12 pack and invite a few of the locals who know what there doin over to show you a little. Theres a little thinking involved in the set up too, not just the angle. Preped metal, amount of gas,heat,and weld, and diff thickness of metal. well good luck. Welding kicks ass and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.:welder:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
any one know a good place to get scrap metal to pratice on?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
any one know a good place to get scrap metal to pratice on?
Every metal supply house has a scap bin to pic through. They sell steel by the pound. Pic a bunch of different thickness pieces and practice. Also, good to practice welding thin to thick metal. That way you get the hang of metal flow and penetration. The most common mild steel is hot roll, it's ok, but hot roll P&O (pickled in oil) is better, then you have cold roll, which is great for all around fab work and is stronger than the other 2. Stay away from Chrome Moly until you get the hang of welding.:2cents:

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
mig with c02 and argon. Get the biggest one you can afford or have power to run buy some scrap from your local steel yard and practice. After welding some scrap together get a big hammer and beat the crap out of the metal and try to break your welds. The more shit they take to break apart the better you welded them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the pointers and help

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whats a good mig welder to start with? Say around $300.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
whats a good mig welder to start with? Say around $300.

Im a miller fan and wont by a machine that cant get above 200-220 amps, but its mostly for the duty cycle on the lower settings and being able to get into spray transfer. if you can swing it the hobart 187 is a great little machine which you shouldnt grow out of to quickly. I would buy from a ebay store. When i bought my last welder and plasma they beat the price of anyone here local by 300+ bucks for just the welder, there is also no tax, and free shipping and they were on my door 2-3 days later. here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-HANDLER-...yZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also may want to look at millermatic 180.

·
Registered
299 Posts
x2 hobart 187. But that's going to be about $650. For $300 your going to be looking for something used.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 hobart 187. But that's going to be about $650. For $300 your going to be looking for something used.
x2. Watch your ass when it comes to used welders. They are usually more expensive to fix then just buying a used one. Also, stay away from generic brands. They tend to be hard to find parts and service for.I would buy Lincoln or Miller. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts