TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a small mig welder jus for a little fab usage. I searched for anythig relating for this but didn't see anything. I dont know a whole lot about welders but i have been looking at a 120 lincoln. Figured i would see if anybody had any suggestions as to a brand or style that would work best.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd go with miller. Ive used both and like the miller alot better. Make sure you get one you can hook a gas bottle to. Flux core sucks

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Whats the thickness of the metal you are looking to weld?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Think bigger... Lincoln 175... If yer going to be fabbing tube work and shiat...
And even if flux core sucks for many... this welder can do 1/2" mild if you need to... Keep in mind it's 208/240

Miller if you have the extra cash...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
norcalpr has a sp 135+ and it appears to do an awesome job... we didnt use gas either, just flux wire

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have run 110V and 220V rigs and like the 220V a lot better. But the Miller has been my favorite. The 110V will give you a decent bead and penetration up to .250 thick material, .375 is the max for a reliable, strong weld for this machine, unless you are using mixed gas. You can get better performance from the 110V by using mixed gas Argon/C02, or helium. X2 flux core wire sucks!!!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
i have a miller 175 and i love it. :welder: makes a nice clean bead, and it doesnt seem to have any trouble welding on 1/4" plate. i run a co2/argon mix gas with it, and i couldnt be happier... but i beleive the 175 was recently replaced with a 180... probably the same price range. definately would recommend a miller for sure!

here's how i see it: a welder is something that will last you a long time, so its worth the extra money to get something you will be happy with in the long run. if it was a consumable product that you will be replacing every couple years, then i could understand going with something cheap... but don't limit yourself for the future because you cant afford to go out and buy one tomorrow. save up and get what will make you happy. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 centralcoast. Get what will last a lifetime. IMO welding is like women :boobies: and gambling :blingb: , the better you get at it, the more you want. As your skills progress, you find increasingly bigger jobs to conquer. Get the bigger machine :2cents:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i just got a hobart handler 140 and love it. Running gas through it and i can easily weld 3/16. hobart and miller are also made in the same factory so most of the parts on my welder have miller stamped on them.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Rebuilt98 said:
I've been using a Lincoln 120V for the past few years and it's perfect for most of my needs. Boxed a Tacoma frame w/ it, built multiple bumpers, sliders, mounts, tow bars, and none of my welds have come apart yet and I doubt they will. Learn to weld and you can weld w/ anything.
that is true. it seems that the better welders are more forgiving whereas the smaller welders take more skill.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have used both Lincoln and Miller Mig's, I believe they both will do the job well. I don't buy into the arguement or debate of which is better, everybody has an opinion.

Buy as much amperage as you can afford, it opens up the opportunities to be able to do more quicker for two reasons, duty cycle and more amperage means fewer passes. Speed is the bread and butter of a Mig welder anyways, the bigger you buy the more speed and ease you will have. If you want to buy an all American machine buy a medium or upper range Miller ie 175+amp machine.

Flux core has its purpose, it gives the best bang for the buck in regards to penetration, but its more messy and time consuming, IMO. Its how most onboard welding systems work, may need to know how to use it, I would suggest buying a couple of rolls and dinking with it.

I use a Miller 35, its been serviced twice in 30+ years and works great. Just used it last week to make a trailer hitch out of mild tool steel, had to special order some hardalloy 120 from McKay, welded up up like butter.

Wally

·
Registered
912 Posts
I love my millermatic 135. I chose miller cause at the time they were using metal drive gears while lincoln was using plastic, that may have changed though. Have built complete cages/suspension components and NEVER had a weld fail. .120 wall tubing is only about 1/8 thick and i've welded 3/16 plate with excellent weld penetration even a little 1/4, a little prep (beveling of edges) on your material goes a long way. Make sure u have a dedicated circuit with a 20 amp breaker and the right gauge extension cord and u will be fine. If u allready have a 220 outlet though get a 175 or bigger, it never hurts to have that extra heat and they actually use less electricity as far as electric bills.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts