TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a bit of ice on the street yesterday, and I started to spin on a patch of ice as I was taking off from a red light....with the tires spinning a bit, I threw it in to 4wd (without letting off the gas) and it engaged with a bit of a thud.

It didn't sound too good, and I told myself not to do that again. However, I think I forgot to switch back to 2wd, as I noticed that when I got home and reached for 4wd as I approached my icy driveway, it was still in 4wd, but the light was not on. But I was able to switch to 2wd and then back to 4wd and it seemed to engage and the light came back on.

So I drove around town on dry roads for an hour or so. Probobly got up to about 40 mph / (65 km/h for fellow canucks).

I've been experimenting on the snowy roads today, and it seems that I'm getting 2wd and 4wd as usual, but the 4wd light won't go off. I'm wondering if something is not dis-engaging?

I'm due for an oil change so I'm going to take it into the dealer this week anyway, but can someone explain what causes the 4wd light to come on? The actuator seems to work fine, but the damn light won't go off.

Thanks guys,
Dave in TO.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
eskimo said:
I'm due for an oil change so I'm going to take it into the dealer this week anyway, but can someone explain what causes the 4wd light to come on? The actuator seems to work fine, but the damn light won't go off.

Thanks guys,
Dave in TO.
From what I've seen, there are two switches in series that both must be closed to make the light come on. One switch is in the transfer case, the other is in the front diff.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, thanks. I hope it's just the light and nothing expensive is busted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4wd blues: ADD Actuator busted..transfer case still groovin

I took the truck into today, looks like the ADD actuator is messed up (so says the dealer).

The 4wd light stays on, but it does disengage/re-enage between 4wd/2wd.
I'm not an expert, so does that likely mean that the transfer case is disengaging, but the hubs are still locked?

Dealer has capped the labour at 3 hrs. for now and I left it in overnight. Service manager said his guy is going to work on it somemore, not quite sure it's the actuator and they might be able to fix it and save me from buying the part. Even offered me a free rental car. Sounds too good to be true...

If they do want me to buy an actuator, does anyone know how much they go for? Also, would there be a core fee on these? I figure if I buy a new one, I might as well tell them to box up the old one...might come in handy someday if it's not totally f'd.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
eskimo said:
There was a bit of ice on the street yesterday, and I started to spin on a patch of ice as I was taking off from a red light....with the tires spinning a bit, I threw it in to 4wd (without letting off the gas) and it engaged with a bit of a thud.

It didn't sound too good, and I told myself not to do that again. However, I think I forgot to switch back to 2wd, as I noticed that when I got home and reached for 4wd as I approached my icy driveway, it was still in 4wd, but the light was not on. But I was able to switch to 2wd and then back to 4wd and it seemed to engage and the light came back on.

So I drove around town on dry roads for an hour or so. Probobly got up to about 40 mph / (65 km/h for fellow canucks).

I've been experimenting on the snowy roads today, and it seems that I'm getting 2wd and 4wd as usual, but the 4wd light won't go off. I'm wondering if something is not dis-engaging?

Thanks guys,
Dave in TO.

I did the same thing on my truck and it broke 2 rack gear teeth on the ADD actuator. You can see a picture below. I would look for a used one because one from the dealer should be very expensive. Do you have the push button 4WD?

http://home.comcast.net/~paul.trautner/ADD/photos/photo_3.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the dealer said it was an electical issue inside the actuator, and they were able to fix it, but it may break again. I couldn't really get a clearer explanation.

Anyway, 3hrs labour, about $270...what can you do.

Did you have to replace yours, or did you patch it up?

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
eskimo said:
Well, the dealer said it was an electical issue inside the actuator, and they were able to fix it, but it may break again. I couldn't really get a clearer explanation.

Anyway, 3hrs labour, about $270...what can you do.

Did you have to replace yours, or did you patch it up?
I fixed the one for a trail spare and I had an extra one from a diff that I bought to re-gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts