TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up another 1st gen Toyota 4Runner last week, this one is a 89 that's got a new engine but the trans has a bent shift fork. I got it for $1k and I have two R150 Toyota 5speed trans to fix it. The interior was rough, the clear coat was flaking off, but there is zero rust on the body or frame. The engine runs great, as it should because it's a new long block with around 15k miles. The bad is the speedo doesn't work and hasn't worked in two years, so it's very hard to believe the 15k on the engine. I did look the engine over very good, the block is still shiny black like a newish engine would look. It has a slight oil leak coming from the drivers side valve cover, easy fix. I knew the trans was bad, it has a bent shift fork or something. The guy has been driving around his in-laws farm for the past year using 4low and starting off in 3rd. The trans jumps out of 1st and 2nd gear, I drove it down the road and actual got it going in 2wd using 1st but couldn't go to 2nd, it drove very good and had more power then my 91's 3.0. It has 3rd gen 4Runner wheels and some wear out 31" mud rovers. There is also a 1" body lift on it. Overal I feel that for a $1k 4Runner that's over 20 years old, I got a great deal. The clutch that's in it should be good cause a new one was installed when the engine was installed, but if it turns out not look good when I pull the trans I have a center force clutch for it. I plan on swaping the trans out Thur night or sometime next week, lucky for me the shop I work at on base allows us to use the shop and vehicle lifts. We also have a nice trans jack so it should be a lot easier then the time I changed the clutch on my 91 4Runner in my driveway. I ordered some ball joint spacers that'll give the stock IFS around 2" of lift and a pair of BDS shocks, for $85. I'm going to do a add a leaf/shackle in the rear and should allow for a 33" tire. For the interior I'm going to look for either some 2nd gen 4Runner SR5 seats or some that I find in a u-pull-it that feel/look good. I will be on the look out for some door panels and carpet, but if I can't find the door panels I'm going to make my own. I'm going to remove the carpet and attemp to pressure wash and clean it but I don't think it's going to look any better. Later on I'm going to do a light sanding on the body and rattle can it red with some rattle can clear coat.

Here's the first pics I've taken of it,

Not bad looking for a $1k classic 4Runner with a new long block and everything works, even the AC (well there isn't a radio but some 6x9's and 1 10" sub mounted in the rear)

Still unsure on what I'm going to do with this after I get on the road. I've had a couple guys I work with tell me that they would buy it after I changed the trans for $3k. If I keep it I'd like to leave mostly stock and give it our daughter, she'll be driving legally in 9 years... LOL and a classic 4Runner would sweet.

Steven

·
Registered
31 Posts
You got a awesome deal on that 4Runner! I've always liked that generation runner. Keep us posted on the progress. Lookin good Boss ;)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I short update on the 89.

I've been driving it for a couple weeks and it runs and drive very good. The ac works great and is really cold. I had to replace the rear shocks and I couldn't believe how worn the shocks were. I took the muffler from my 91 4Runner and bolted it to the cat on the 89 and it almost fits perfect, had to rig up the rear muffler mounts but it works great. I picked up some Tundra 17" wheels and found some cheap 245/70/17 BFG tires. The tires are smaller then I wanted at 30.5" tall and they are E load rating tires but they were only $100 with well over 75% tread. If I hang onto the 4Runner I'll up to some 265 or 285's later on but the smaller tires ride good for a stock 4Runner. I pulled and put the factory carpet in the trash, I got some new gray carpet that I'm going to put in this week. I also got some seats out of a honda civic to go in it. Here's how it looks with the Tundra wheels.

Steven

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the 89 up for sale and it sold for $4k a couple weeks later. Not a bad deal, if it were a 22RE I may have kept it but the 3.0L isn't the best engine.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah but I have a lot of time and work into it. You also need to consider how many 100% rust free 1st Gen 4Runner you see. This one had zero rust and I didn't think I was going to get $4k out of it, listed it for $4k and the guy didn't offer me a penny less. I was really wanting $3500 out of it but hey he didn't try, so I guess that means he really liked it. My wife made a joke when we were leaving the guy bank that she couldn't believe someone would pay $4k for a vehicle that didn't have a radio.

I picked up a 88 that's 95% rust free and looks alot better then the 89. It's also a 22re and has a Kayline soft top. I'm not going to say how much I paid for it, this time.

I think I've found my new hobby, bringing left for dead 4Runner's but to life. It's almost like those people that take in stray pets and find them new homes. I'm glad that I guy who got the 89 was so happy with it, made me feel like all the work I put into paid off. I enjoyed driving the 89 and I'm sure I'm going to love the 88 with the soft top down. I'll start a new thread for the 88's build up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice job wish that the 85 I picked up had zero rust on it but I can deal with what it has. The only major spot is where the battery sat under the hood which I will build a tray for when I get back from the desert next year. Figures I would pick up the truck I always wanted then have to leave on a deployment. Maybe I can find an oil burning motor from a hilux and get it back here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts