TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all had a great time on MJT this weekend. The obstacles on this trail change every year. Some get easier and some get dug out giving you more of a challenge. And of course, we can't have a run here without anyone running into problems. Myself and Dawson ran into overheating issues; CJ had a rock mess up a banjo bolt; Frank smashed a steering rack boot and lost some grease; me, Frank and CJ needed a tug from situations we got ourselves into; and Tyler ended the day with a dead battery. I'll write up a more detailed report soon. Post up what you got!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Miller Jeep Trail '14 continued

For those of you that missed the Miller Jeep Trail event :(
Lockwood/Miller Jeep trail is located southwest of Frazier Park and just west of the Hungry Valley OHV area.
For those of us who did make it we had a BLAST. Thanks to Tyler and Michael for leading the group. The trail was busy with a group from Tacoma World leading the way ( about 45 to 50 minutes) ahead of the So Cal TTORA group. Then behind us there was a small group of jeeps.
The weather and scenery were perfect and you couldn't beat the Great group of wheelers.
Here are the pics.

The Keeper of the Chrome-------

TTORA and Tacoma World lunch break.

Just about the top of the mountain.

Even with a few minor difficulties as we got closer to the top of the mountain and the end of MJT, it was a good time with good friends. I am looking forward to the next event ( check the calender) and see you all then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always loving the pics makes me feel like I was out there. I'm a long time lurker lol but going to make it for the big bear run for sure

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yep... I missed out! Instead it was swim lessons for both kids and my daughters last soccer game of the season.

Nice to see another 80 series out there!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Miller Jeep Trail was a great time. After the run I went back to my campground and had a few drinks, made dinner for the kiddos and went to bed somewhat early. In the morning I said goodbye to Dawson, who camped at the next site over, and got on the road. Not too far down the road I hear something bounce around in my rear driver wheel well and the tire starts to go flat. Dawson, who was a few minutes behind me, stops to help. We get the tire plugged and I finish the drive home to San Diego.

Went to discount tire to see about a more permanent/better fix. Since the tires are pretty new, it will only cost me $36 for a brand new replacement. I'm pretty stoked about that since I chewed up the edge of the tread on the last run.

Seems like a lot of small things popped up on this run; westcoastking having the brake line issue, Sparky overheating and stinking up the whole place (your shroud is missing by the way ;) ), Dawson overheating AND an inner tie rod going bad, showstop having an electrical issue at the end, and me with a flat on the way home. Thankfully none of it was major and we all made it home safe.

Not entirely sure I will make the next event (night run, shindig or combination of both) but I'm definitely looking forward to Big Bear.

Good seeing everyone.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Miller Jeep Trail was a great time. After the run I went back to my campground and had a few drinks, made dinner for the kiddos and went to bed somewhat early. In the morning I said goodbye to Dawson, who camped at the next site over, and got on the road. Not too far down the road I hear something bounce around in my rear driver wheel well and the tire starts to go flat. Dawson, who was a few minutes behind me, stops to help. We get the tire plugged and I finish the drive home to San Diego.

Good seeing everyone.
Sorry I couldn't be there to spot the freeway rocks :confused: I didn't do as well spotting the rock for Dawson, he nailed that thing pretty hard. It was good to see your family at the event. See you at the next event or we'll catch up at Big Bear.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah we had a small issue on the way home too, not with the 4Runner but Paul had one of his medical moments while we were at dinner, which is why I park my 4Runner when he wants to go out on a trail ride. He came back around quickly though so we didn't end up at Henry Mayo. Not a big deal for me since I'd had just gone to my dad's for the night since he lives in Valencia.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I have one issue solved. The stock transfer case was leaking from the fill plug. So, I bought a new crush washer. Well, I went to go unscrew the plug and it was already way loose. It seems bolts don't like vibrations. I replaced the washer anyway and tightened it up. No more leak. The crawler was wet around the shifter plate. It wasn't dripping or coating the entire box. I think this was a previous condition and had nothing to do with what Leon was smelling on the trail. The shifter plate on the stock transfer case looks the same, too.

Good news, though. I thought I had thrown away my fan shroud but I found it last weekend. It doesn't look like replacing the fan clutch is a difficult task so I'll get that done along with a coolant flush and install the shroud. Hopefully no more overheating issues pop up after that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You should just sell your truck and get a silver 6sp 2nd gen. I hear those trucks are awesome!

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, I think I have one issue solved. The stock transfer case was leaking from the fill plug. So, I bought a new crush washer. Well, I went to go unscrew the plug and it was already way loose. It seems bolts don't like vibrations. I replaced the washer anyway and tightened it up. No more leak. The crawler was wet around the shifter plate. It wasn't dripping or coating the entire box. I think this was a previous condition and had nothing to do with what Leon was smelling on the trail. The shifter plate on the stock transfer case looks the same, too.

Good news, though. I thought I had thrown away my fan shroud but I found it last weekend. It doesn't look like replacing the fan clutch is a difficult task so I'll get that done along with a coolant flush and install the shroud. Hopefully no more overheating issues pop up after that.
Good, glad the loose plug was discovered. Hate to lose those things. while you have the fan shroud off take the garden hose and clean the dirt and junk out of the radiator fins and the a/c condenser. you will be surprised at how much dirt and crap they collect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good, glad the loose plug was discovered. Hate to lose those things. while you have the fan shroud off take the garden hose and clean the dirt and junk out of the radiator fins and the a/c condenser. you will be surprised at how much dirt and crap they collect.
Ya especially when you drive through a big mud whole :mad:...... Im never doing that again, I have washed my truck 4 times and still keep finding large amounts of dirt everywhere. And the radiator and a/c condenser fins are still badly clogged :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya especially when you drive through a big mud whole :mad:...... Im never doing that again, I have washed my truck 4 times and still keep finding large amounts of dirt everywhere. And the radiator and a/c condenser fins are still badly clogged :confused:
Ah, the price you pay for fun. lol Now you know why I didn't follow you. :p

·
Registered
213 Posts

Ah yes......I remember when I first got into offroading and would hit every patch of mud I could find. Those were the good old days, when gas was $3.25 a gallon and predatory lending was just about at its peak.

After realizing that it is next to impossible to clean, I now avoid mud like the plague. You will learn young padawan. You must ignore the pull of the dark side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts