TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
We have that same exact welder in the diesel lab at my school. I've been using it to make my 1/2 doors, they are the shit! I wish I had one of my own too :welder:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Damn, guess we've got welder fever in Houston. I've been shopping for one for the last couple of weeks. Those Miller 180's are pricey! Texas Welders Supply gave me a quote of $850 + tax. He said it was the best he could do but it was out of my price range ($600). I told him I could find them over $100 cheaper online. He didn't like that very much...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, guess we've got welder fever in Houston. I've been shopping for one for the last couple of weeks. Those Miller 180's are pricey! Texas Welders Supply gave me a quote of $850 + tax. He said it was the best he could do but it was out of my price range ($600). I told him I could find them over $100 cheaper online. He didn't like that very much...
this one was 779 shipped
only 70 more than the hobart 180 after tax
the miller also has 30% vs 20% duty on the hobart

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yea, that sounds right. I've seen the Hobart 180's going for about $700 new and $500 reconditioned.

Was also looking at the Lincoln 175HD as they are going for under $500 new.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, that sounds right. I've seen the Hobart 180's going for about $700 new and $500 reconditioned.

Was also looking at the Lincoln 175HD as they are going for under $500 new.
yeah, i coulda got one today for alot cheaper..
but i figured id go big or none at all since the damn thing will prob last me 20 years

·
Registered
266 Posts
i finally bit the bullet and bought a welder :welder:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180/

cant wait to start cutting up the truck :saw:
Very nice, I bought the same unit yesterday. Works great. Cost a bit more than a Lincoln 175 but I'll probably never buy another welder. My local praxair was within $40 of the best deal I could find online so I kept my $s local.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
this one was 779 shipped
only 70 more than the hobart 180 after tax
the miller also has 30% vs 20% duty on the hobart
You'll love the cycle duity. I have NEVER hit the over temp/shut off on my MM175. I know a couple people that haven't hit it either, and like myself... this is with constant usage throughout the day. 110* Outside temp... not a problem. Even when cranked up to full amps with .035 wire and 5, 5" passes on each side of a recovery point (3 recovery points, right after each other) ~15-20 minutes of straight welding.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also shopping. Have you guys looked at the new Hobart 187, it has a miller torch on it. TSC has them for $650. I like the Miller too but some say the new Hobart 187 is the best welder in it's class.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My bro-in-law just got the Lincoln 180? from Lowe's, for $6 and change. What a difference! I'm am in no way a good welder. I used to weld on rigs back in the late 80's, (Small amount), I've been using a 110volt Lincoln (very old one) and the welds will work, but look like trash! I used his new one, I'm not to bad now! I love it! No grinding needed!!!!! :welder: :2cents:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
$6 wow, tell him to pick me up a few!

I bought a Hobart 180 when TSC had them on clearance for the new 187's and it was $530ish out the door. I've been using the hell out of it and the duty cycle hasn't interfered yet. Can't see myself doing much more constant welding than I've been doing, so I'm not worried about it. And if and when the plastic gears do break, I'll just upgrade to the miller metal stuff and have a miller 180 for a couple hundred less.

Cyberweld has some of the best prices anywhere for welders and torches. Bunch of guys I know have bought through them and had good experiences.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You'll love the cycle duity. I have NEVER hit the over temp/shut off on my MM175. I know a couple people that haven't hit it either, and like myself... this is with constant usage throughout the day. 110* Outside temp... not a problem. Even when cranked up to full amps with .035 wire and 5, 5" passes on each side of a recovery point (3 recovery points, right after each other) ~15-20 minutes of straight welding.
Haven’t worked much with plate have you? ;) I hit mine from time too time when making longer welds on the flatbed. Nothing to worry about but watch the long welds and let it cool for a bit between stints.... and the duty cycle is around 6 min continuous on our units so I would be dubious if the auto shut off is working properly...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts