• Just throw it in the back

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since , I sold my camry I have a unused thule bike rack and can't use on my 4runner unless I get the fit kit for it. I want to see what you guys would do if you would get the fit kit, get a hitch mounted rack, one of those that goes over the rear hatch or just throw it in the back (my least favorite)as in the poll. Each of the different ideas all have their advantages and disadvantges. So what would you choose.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
just chuck it in the back. tho a rack would be nice if you go on a trip and need to carry stuff inside and people. so i vote get a rack for that scenario and when your solo'n it just huck it in the back.

if you do get a roof rack dont get one of the gay ones that mounts to the frame (unless you have a 20mm thru axle which is a bitch to put on a fork mount cuz you have to unbolt the wheel, unless you have a rock shox pike with the maxle) cuz they look gay. the fork mount ones are way better looking imho even tho they both function the same pretty much

·
Registered
179 Posts
I vote for throw it in the back, but, if you have to carry things also, I would go next with the hitchmounted. I wouldnt want to carry it on the roof because its harder to get up there and I dont feel comfortable with it up there. Guess it comes down to preference tho.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I highly reccomend the Sportworks (now Thule) T2. I had this rack on my Pathfinder and absolutly loved it. Keeps the truck nice and clean, easy to throw the bike on, and folds up out of the way when not used. I still have mine for the days when I'll carry more than 2 bikes afterall I have a dbl cab, 2 bikes in the back 2 on the rack every ones happy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been using a hitch mount for the past few years and I find it works great. I have heard people say they don't like them because if someone rear ends you your bike gets wrecked, which is true but seems I don't have an overly expensive bike I'm not that worried. I went ahead and bought a cheap Bell for $80 at Walmart and it has worked great, if I replace it someday I'll probably splurge for a nicer one. I would never put it in the hatch, all the mud and crap would get all over, but I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Why spend money on something when you can just put yer bike in the back of yer junk!!

If you don't carry that much stuff or hual that many bikes with yer 4Runner... it would be usless to have one of those deals!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have a truck bed mount for my taco. I got a Thule hitch mount for my CR-V, and now thats all I use for my truck. It leaves space in the bed for my sons trailer and I can open the tailgate without moving the rack. I have a Trek and a Specialized so I don't like just throwing them in the back. I had a roof mount when I had my Rav4, which I like the best, but thats not an option for my truck. Heres the one I got now.. http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=958

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
9 Participants
seth_js
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing