TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I want to plan a vacation to Moab but everything I look at is "tours" that cost money. I just want some trail maps, recommendations of what to check out, and the various tent camping spots along the way and I'll give myself my own "tour". I have a '99 Taco v6 4x4 w/ LT and 33's so by the looks of it I'm capable of 3-3.5 trail ratings. Anyone know of any sites with maps and some recommended routes and scenic stops w/ camping? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
CanyonRacerX said:
Hey, I want to plan a vacation to Moab but everything I look at is "tours" that cost money. I just want some trail maps, recommendations of what to check out, and the various tent camping spots along the way and I'll give myself my own "tour". I have a '99 Taco v6 4x4 w/ LT and 33's so by the looks of it I'm capable of 3-3.5 trail ratings. Anyone know of any sites with maps and some recommended routes and scenic stops w/ camping? Thanks in advance.
Start with this book:

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?page=book_3

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
When do you want to go? When you decide, post it up in the "Events" section on here or the CO chapter - you'll have NO PROBLEM finding somewhere on here that would love to show you around!

x2 for the Wells guide...

·
Registered
394 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
When do you want to go? When you decide, post it up in the "Events" section on here or the CO chapter - you'll have NO PROBLEM finding somewhere on here that would love to show you around!

Looks like a good book for us noobs for moab

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedRunnertc said:

Yeah maybe, but I think it's just going to be a me and the misses only adventure. BTW I just got back from Longmont and my GF is still there with her family who just moved there from New York...beautiful area, was thinking about moving there maybe. The Pumphouse has some of the best beer and food I've ever had.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately the best free tent camping has been bought by some landowner or something, because last time I went to Moab they had big no camping signs put up. Your best bet now is bride canyon, on the way to gemini bridges. It's a long rough road but with LT you shuld be able to have some fun getting there. It started getting a little monotonous after a week in a stock truck though, and I'm sure I destroyed my shocks going way too fast for stock. Also watch out for some killer dips, I launched my front end on one that was worse then it looked.

You should be able to handle 4s with that truck, I can get my stock truck up amasa back.

There are also some fun desert roads, way at the end of cane creek, and also way north of town by the bartlett wash area.

If you don't mind paying a camping fee, there are oodles of improved campsites right around town, but they can be crowded as well.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
CanyonRacerX said:
Yeah maybe, but I think it's just going to be a me and the misses only adventure. BTW I just got back from Longmont and my GF is still there with her family who just moved there from New York...beautiful area, was thinking about moving there maybe. The Pumphouse has some of the best beer and food I've ever had.
If you really want to explore Moab, you should REALLY have another vehicle with ya.

I don't know about Longmont being beautiful ... but close to beautiful places, that's for sure! There's several good places on Main Street there...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you really should have more than one truck with you. out there you could be a long way from help and towing is outragous out there.

the book mentioned is a great resource for first timers. but the best is to go with at least one more truck. easier to figure out where you are going with two minds. and you can go on some harder trails because of having another truck to give you a yank if needed.

If you are interested, i am planning my next trip for last two weeks in may. you are welcome to meet us out there. this will be my third trip out there and i am nowhere near fimiliar with everything, thats how big it is. and i know you said you want to be with your woman out there, and there are plenty of things to do with just you and her, but some of the trails are not a good idea. if it makes you feel any better it will be me, my girlfriend, and two other couples as of now. so it's not like it would be all dudes!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Texan1983 said:
If you are interested, i am planning my next trip for last two weeks in may. you are welcome to meet us out there. this will be my third trip out there and i am nowhere near fimiliar with everything, thats how big it is. If it makes you feel any better it will be me, my girlfriend, and two other couples as of now. so it's not like it would be all dudes!
Yep - I've got my fingers crossed! The last two weeks of May would be AWESOME! I think I've talked my wife into coming out for once, too!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
sweet! i was hoping you where still on. hey i will be sending out info on good places to stay and planning for the trip in the next few weeks, we need to get this set soon!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RedRunnertc said:
If you really want to explore Moab, you should REALLY have another vehicle with ya.

I don't know about Longmont being beautiful ... but close to beautiful places, that's for sure! There's several good places on Main Street there...
I hear ya, I don't want to be lost and stuck in the middle of Moab.

I stayed on the western portion of Longmont, semi-close to the airport, and all I could see when I looked to the west was green valleys and the Rocky Mountain range all the way up and down. I live in a suburb in central Cali that is surrounded by dry, brown hills with no snow and no green whatsoever so to me Longmont was gorgeous.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, most of the problems you have in Moab are related to death, and thus having another truck will only expediate your next of kin's notification. Most of the time you won't get stuck, just stopped, the hardest obstacles are basically issues of approach angle more then anything else.

I suppose another truck could get some video of your truck going off into the abyss, for youtube.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Uh I beg to differ SantaCruzRC... It is VERY easy to get screwed in Moab. The most dangerous thing you can have there is an attitude of invincability. The only trails I would say are safe to do alone is fins and things because you cross Sand Flats road so many times you have an easy way to get to the road if need be, or Gemini bridges - but you are pushing accessability with that one. Still both of those are easy enough you likely will not break. If you do go alone, and you get stuck the recovery cost is insane. Plus if it is on the weekend - you will have to wait till monday because moab 4x4 outpost and Moab offroad are both closed during the weekends especially during the off season. There are some other trails that one could do alone, but if this is your first time to Moab... I peronally would not push it.

There is actually plenty of good camping, but the following recomendations are all non-bathroom and water camping.
* Go down cane creek road till you find something. We usually go in about 10 miles or so. The camping back in there is first come fisr served.
* Go out past potash towards canyonlands, and once you pass the private property and before you hit the National Park, you are in BLM land and can camp there (300 yards from any road or water source of course).

The following camping is run by the state or the BLM and has water and pit toilets.
* There is tons of camping along the colorado river North of town. But that requires permits and a fee.
* Sandflats recration area also has a ton of camping, again fees.

Lastly if you are there during off season - Motel 6 has great rates, and it can be really ncie to have a hot shower to get all the moab sand out of everything :D

Hope that helps. If you have more questions let me know. I know moab like the back of my hand.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Beg all you want, but with an LT truck your tires just aren't big enough to cause an serious damage, a 99 taco is still plenty reliable, and with that much travel and articulation his weakpoint will be his approach angle. I have done hell's revenge, amasa back, porcupine rim, fins and things, metal masher, and others, many times. All with just one vehicle, a stock 2.7 Xtra cab, and there's nothing you can't get yourself out of with a little thought.

I would stay away from Moab Rim though. Maybe you have dirt bikes or mountain bikes for that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
extremepaint
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing