TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from the trip to Moab with the Chevy guys. It was my first time out and Hell's Revenge was awesome. I will definitely be going again. Ran into a small issue on the way home, but I'll let the pics do the talking.

And then the issue......

I nodded off, woke up going into the median, corrected and headed for a light pole on the other side of my lanes, corrected to miss the pole, truck started sliding sideways, right rear tire/bedside hit the pole, pole went over, truck went airborne. It landed right over my head and rolled several more times. Where the initial impact is, the roof is about an inch from where my head usually is in the driving position. The guy that was behind me when it happened said I rolled 7-10 times. I remember at least 3-4 of them.

I am VERY, VERY LUCKY. My highlift was on the rear floorboard. I had two 20' trucker's chains, 4 D-ring shackles, and a jack mate in the storage under the rear seat. ALL of this exited the truck. Tools, fire extinguisher, hitch ball and mount, etc were behind the back seat. The roof folding down in the back kept the rear seat backs from coming forward enough to let everything out. I found the clip for the hitch pin, which was connected before the wreck, on the dashboard. Shit ends up in crazy spots after a wreck like this. Learn from this and do not keep shit in your cab. Get a toolbox if you don't have one and keep everything heavy in it.

All I can say is wear your seatbelt. I am positive that if I did not have mine on, I would have been ejected. Also do not use cruise control when you are tired. Better yet, stop and rest. I was trying to make it to the next exit about 10 miles away, if that. I only had a 5.5 hour drive, and I made it half way. Someone or something was looking over me. It could have gone wrong so many different ways. I have my first child coming in about two months and I may have not been here for her.

·
Registered
71 Posts
sorry about your truck and glad your okay... im still bummed i dident get my 4runner back together in time to make it... i WILL make it to blazerbash next year...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Travis - Man that sucks! I am very glad that you are alright. Someone was definitely looking out for you and your family. Man...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Wow! Looks like the airbags didn't deploy?:confused:
Probably no curtain airbags my 2007 doesn't have them and the brunt of the impact was not in the front to deploy the steering wheel bag I guess.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sorry to see that happen. Glad you're ok. Thank goodness you had your seat belt on.
I rolled my Tacoma and the only injury I got was from my Black and Decker drill hitting me in the head.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
holy shit man. glad youre ok. I dozed off at the wheel once, went across two lanes, jumped a curb and slid down a hill where I stopped in a bike path. it was at 1 in the morning in Estes so there was no oncoming traffic and I was lucky enough to not hit a thing. but it made me realize that when im tired, to fucking stop the truck and rest/wake up/get coffee. Ill never drive drowsy again, bet you wont either! again, glad youre ok.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to be headed out to Moab on the 30th. This is a real eye opener!! Thank god your ok!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Glad youre ok! Thats a serious roll brother. Could have been alot worse. Someone was looking out for you.

On a lighter note...I think it will buff out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. No side curtain airbags. No front impact so the wheel/dash didn't deploy, and I'm glad they didn't. Losing the truck doesn't bother me, but the fact that I just put $3k in suspension on it does. Other than that, that's what insurance is for.

I don't think I'm going to get another one. It's hard not to after what it did for me, but I think I'm going the diesel route now. If Toyota would pull their heads out of their collective asses and offered us a Taco with a diesel, then that would be what I would replace it with. I guess I have to get a Dodge now though. :(

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry to see that happen. Glad you're ok. Thank goodness you had your seat belt on.
I rolled my Tacoma and the only injury I got was from my Black and Decker drill hitting me in the head.
I think the Devil owned that drill once :lmao: Wasn't the first time it tried to knock you out! We learned to keep that thing below head level.

Sucks about the crash but glad you're ok! I say keep it, cut it, cage it! :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Damn Travis. Really glad you're OK... That is awful tho. I just left you a voicemail... gimmie a call when you're free. Take it easy.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Holy shit man! congrats on still being alive.:eek:
No kidding!! I am so glad you were ok. And seriously no injuries at all? Other than being massively shaken up! When I rolled my 4 runner... I had everything heavy strapped down. Really glad too. And I mean STRAPPED down... for that very reason. Though I lost a few cases of CD's out of the sun-roof...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got some more pics uploaded. They're out of order because photobucket is stupid. The rest is scenery stuff.

I was very proud of the truck out there. Everyone I was running the hard stuff with was 37"+ tires and I took all the same lines. It's shitty cause now I have to learn a whole new truck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts