TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the higher mileage Tacomas . . . has anyone here used Mobil 1 Synthetic for the life of their truck and if yes, do you notice big differences as far as engine wear/ high mileage. Just curious. I just bought my 99 in Oct. and started putting Mobil 1 in at 65,000 miles. Am wondering if it will be worth it every oil change considering the outlandish cost for that stuff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great synthetic and its alot cheaper than most of the other true synthetics, its a little on the lighter side of the viscosity scale, a 30wt is a very low 30 almost high 20, so for a higher mileage vehicle I would check the dipstick often to make sure your not burning any since it is thinner. I would do an initial change after 3k and then run it for at least 5-6k mile oil change intervals. If you are going to keep the oil in longer than that, do an oil analysis to verify the oil can handle the longer change interval. Good stuff and worth the money, so is Amsoil. The cost difference for added protection and longer drain intervals is minimal

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
I just switched over from dealer oil changes to mobil 1 doing it myself last weekend. I don't have high mileage yet, but I can't believe the difference in just how the engine sounds after doing it. about 40% quieter. I would assume that is good, and I am glad I made the switch.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm at 72k, been using M1 5w-30 sinces 30k with an M1-209 filter (spec'd for Jeep Liberty, slightly higher capacity than than the toy filter) and have been really happy. I change the oil every 5k and based on texture and color, I could go longer. One thing to keep in mind about synthetic is, once you do it, you should commit to it. Switching back and forth between dino juice and synthetic can do strange things to gaskets and increase the potential for leaks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, it defineatley seems worth it to use the Mobil - 1 from here on out. I guess when you think about it, instead of changing every 3k, might save some money in the long run by changing it every 4-5k. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I ran Mobil 1 in my Taco and will run it in my Landcruiser soon. You can do a 7500 mi. oil change interval, which makes the cost more acceptable. The M1-209 filter has been used by several people as well as Breathegood.

Like he said, don't switch back and forth. Either do it, or don't.

Personally, I'd ditch the K&N air filter also... Stock paper is better, but hey, I don't want to open up a can of worms here LOL.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thats funny you said that . . . I have heard such mixed things about the K&N Filter. Seems like a lot of people have them but hen again it seems like a lot of people don;t like them. Why do you suggest dropping the filter?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I run mobil 1 in my 98 taco and have for about 10k, it's at about 82k miles now and running great. I dont notice any burning etc.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
It's worth it if you take advantage of it's ability to go a distance. Ia m of the opinion that if you spend that much on oil you better take advantage of tits strenghts. and that's the ability to go a long way. Mobil is out with the extended performance oils. With proper monitioring and a couple of analysis you can run 15k mile OCI's and get your money's worth. If you insist on changing your oil at 5k miles or less you can do that easily with the many quality conventionals on the market.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
you better take advantage of tits
I try as much as my wife will let me! :D lol

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Portman said:
For the higher mileage Tacomas . . . has anyone here used Mobil 1 Synthetic for the life of their truck and if yes, do you notice big differences as far as engine wear/ high mileage. Just curious. I just bought my 99 in Oct. and started putting Mobil 1 in at 65,000 miles. Am wondering if it will be worth it every oil change considering the outlandish cost for that stuff.
There will be two things that you'll notice. 1, the engine may run smoother and 2, the oil will get dirtier much faster because its cleaning out any chit that dyno oil didnt clean out. Thats what i noticed when i switched to synthetic after 9K miles on my 2002. Since then i now have 40K and the oil stays clean for quite a while. I have my oil changed every 5K. It wouldnt hurt to change the oil at 3K so it gets all that crap out then after that go to 5K and see how it looks, if it looks ok then your all good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a thought here. Kind of weird I was reading about M1 last night but all that to say this. My 99 PreRunner w 197000 does not use s drop. I change mine at 5k with Penz 5w30, TOYO filters and 6 quarts. No morning puff of smoke, once in a while a get a wiff of someything at start up but that is it. The plugs come out nice and white tipped. Really no complaints...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts