TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing a few more upgrades to the truck, Its a 2000 3.4 5-speed with the TRD Gen2 S/C, CAI & custom CB exhaust, wondering if these mods are worth the cost...Thinking about the URD 7th injector kit, crank & 2.2" S/C pulleys & a set of headers. please give me your thoughts/input with your experience with URD & there products. TIA!

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It's better to put larger injectors in it than adding a 7th. When I spoke with Eaton and Magnuson years ago they both suggested not putting fuel though the SC and that's what the 7th injector does. The only reason people do it is because it's a little cheaper up front. For example TRD does it and that's reason enough not to. Basically the 7th injector approach is a bandaid.

Frankly I wouldn't be running an SC at all without some sort of fuel mod to add fuel. It can have expensive consequences, just ask me how I know.

Headers are always a good thing.

If you want it to last, I wouldn't get too rambunctious with the boost. The 3.4 was designed more for economy and it doesn't have a hell of a lot of extra strength built into it. 6lbs or so is OK, but any more than that and you need to address the engine internals and start looking for a way to add an intercooler.

Pick up a couple of books and study up on it. It's a lot cheaper than buying parts and breaking engines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's better to put larger injectors in it than adding a 7th. When I spoke with Eaton and Magnuson years ago they both suggested not putting fuel though the SC and that's what the 7th injector does. The only reason people do it is because it's a little cheaper up front. For example TRD does it and that's reason enough not to. Basically the 7th injector approach is a bandaid.

Frankly I wouldn't be running an SC at all without some sort of fuel mod to add fuel. It can have expensive consequences, just ask me how I know.

Headers are always a good thing.

If you want it to last, I wouldn't get too rambunctious with the boost. The 3.4 was designed more for economy and it doesn't have a hell of a lot of extra strength built into it. 6lbs or so is OK, but any more than that and you need to address the engine internals and start looking for a way to add an intercooler.

Pick up a couple of books and study up on it. It's a lot cheaper than buying parts and breaking engines.
I do appreciate the your input! However isn't the 3.4 one of the most reliable & strongest engines toyota has? aside from the I6 in the supra & lexus cars...ether way I know people with over 300k on there 3.4 & had the TRD S/C kit on it since day 1.

as far as not putting fuel through the S/C, I worked with whipple for 13 years & they usually run 1-2 injectors through there compressors, It helps atomize the extra fuel & the mist also helps cool the air charge. Magnacharger has done the same thing on there kits. URD also says the 7th injector kit works better than upgrading all 6 injectors (witch they sell also) & the tuning is much more consistent & easier.

Also, since the tolerances are so tight but the rotors never actually touch (if they do you got problems!) the little bit of fuel mist actually helps somewhat seal them & gets just that little bit of extra air compressed & forced in to the engine. There really is no problems with a system like adding a 7th injector or even 9th & 10th on some of the V8 kits.

Ether way, Fuel mods for me is happening 100% & just as to when, I should probably do the fuel mods before the headers..& was hopping to get some input from people that have done it to see what they noticed ect...

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think the motor will take a lot before it pops. The biggest trick is cooling the charge and tuning everything to work right. The factory computer doesn't really like to play well with others.

I had the bigger injectors and Split Second FTC with fuel pump, thermostat, smaller pulley, meth injection, and exhaust on my truck for a long time. The truck ran good, but it was never really as good as it should have been. I really think the computer needs to be replaced to realize all the power potential.

I never had any reliability issues though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
A good water/methanol injection system and up the boost with a smaller pulley. People will bitch about water/meth being a "bandaid" and a "crutch", but on our trucks with no intercooler, that's exactly what's needed to cool the intake charge below detonation levels. It works fricken awesome, and it doesn't kill you to throw in a gallon of -20 rated windshield washer fluid in the water/meth tank while you're filling up. It's a lot cheaper than a tank full of race gas, and easier to find.

Oh, and these are strong motors. The amount of detonation mine took before I put the water/meth on it would have killed most other engines. With the water/meth it pulled hard on 12.5psi of boost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the motor will take a lot before it pops. The biggest trick is cooling the charge and tuning everything to work right. The factory computer doesn't really like to play well with others.

I had the bigger injectors and Split Second FTC with fuel pump, thermostat, smaller pulley, meth injection, and exhaust on my truck for a long time. The truck ran good, but it was never really as good as it should have been. I really think the computer needs to be replaced to realize all the power potential.

I never had any reliability issues though.
A good water/methanol injection system and up the boost with a smaller pulley. People will bitch about water/meth being a "bandaid" and a "crutch", but on our trucks with no intercooler, that's exactly what's needed to cool the intake charge below detonation levels. It works fricken awesome, and it doesn't kill you to throw in a gallon of -20 rated windshield washer fluid in the water/meth tank while you're filling up. It's a lot cheaper than a tank full of race gas, and easier to find.

Oh, and these are strong motors. The amount of detonation mine took before I put the water/meth on it would have killed most other engines. With the water/meth it pulled hard on 12.5psi of boost.
Good info, thanks guys! the 7th injector, light weight crank pulley, 2.2" S/C pulley and headers will be coming soon! should be good additions to my build.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
All I know is what I've read and what both Eaton and Magnuson told me directly about this SC. Something to do with the bearings I think.
I also don't like the idea of turning all of that input volume into what is essentially a fuel air bomb.

No the 3.4L engine while better than the 3 slow is not that strong of an engine. It was built to comply with CAFE standards so weight was of paramount importance.

If you want more go, then maybe you should small block in it and start off where you'll end up after spending a shit load of money trying to wring more power out of that little engine. Then again maybe what you really want is a car and not a truck.

If you keep the boost to a reasonable level then a little forced induction should not have any detrimental effect on engine life. Not the 3.4 or any other engine. I'd say when you get over 6lbs. or so you're beginning to stress it.

Yes any fuel mods are better than none. Running intake boost without extra fuel is chancey and dangerous for any engine, especially one made with aluminum. Aluminum doesn't like heat and will tend to crack if exposed to knock and predetonation from running too lean. It took the thin web sections between the valves in the center jugs of both of my heads. The center jugs tend to run a tad hotter so are the first to go.
I suggest you do some reading up on it and form your own opinions. After all, it's your money and your engine so your decision should be an informed one. You should not listen to anyone who has something to gain or something to sell. Doing so is like listening to a politican and buying into their BS.

BTW I only wish they had used a screw instead of the roots for the TRD kits. I think those are a much better design to start with.

I do appreciate the your input! However isn't the 3.4 one of the most reliable & strongest engines toyota has? aside from the I6 in the supra & lexus cars...ether way I know people with over 300k on there 3.4 & had the TRD S/C kit on it since day 1.

as far as not putting fuel through the S/C, I worked with whipple for 13 years & they usually run 1-2 injectors through there compressors, It helps atomize the extra fuel & the mist also helps cool the air charge. Magnacharger has done the same thing on there kits. URD also says the 7th injector kit works better than upgrading all 6 injectors (witch they sell also) & the tuning is much more consistent & easier.

Also, since the tolerances are so tight but the rotors never actually touch (if they do you got problems!) the little bit of fuel mist actually helps somewhat seal them & gets just that little bit of extra air compressed & forced in to the engine. There really is no problems with a system like adding a 7th injector or even 9th & 10th on some of the V8 kits.

Ether way, Fuel mods for me is happening 100% & just as to when, I should probably do the fuel mods before the headers..& was hopping to get some input from people that have done it to see what they noticed ect...

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want more go, then maybe you should small block in it and start off where you'll end up after spending a shit load of money trying to wring more power out of that little engine. Then again maybe what you really want is a car and not a truck.

If you keep the boost to a reasonable level then a little forced induction should not have any detrimental effect on engine life. Not the 3.4 or any other engine. I'd say when you get over 6lbs. or so you're beginning to stress it.
Trust me if I could get away with transplanting a small block in this truck in Comifornia I would, But I can't do that & still pass smog & I do have a car for when I want to go faster & hit the turns. But regardless the mods I am talking about are way WAY less expensive (roughly $1,500 for headers, fuel upgrade kit & smaller S/C pulley) than stuffing a V8 under the hood.

again I appreciate your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts