Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Keep the 4runner and get another car

Votes: 13 40.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to fiqure out some future mods for my 4runner (96). It currently, has 161,xxx miles on it and I trying to plan out if I should mod it or not. Hence, the name of the poll.
I've been thinking of getting some sliders and then some better skid plates etc. (lift/tires, front bumper, off-road lights, locker)
I've also been tooling around with the idea of either getting a 4runner w/ lower miles and with the e-locker or buying a 01-04 double cab tacoma trd (not a big fan of the new ones). I'm not sure at this time what I'm going to do, but if I keep my current 4runner I'll end up getting a car in case I f'up my runner.
So what do you guys think I should do and thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you use it? How often do you 'wheel? It's my DD , when I get the chance, plus I like to explore.

What motor/tranny in your current rig? 3.4L and an automatic

·
Registered
394 Posts
BUild yours up as a trail rig and get a DD

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
How do you use it? How often do you 'wheel? It's my DD , when I get the chance, plus I like to explore.

What motor/tranny in your current rig? 3.4L and an automatic
So it sounds like you don't 'wheel much... I would mod the 'runner then and buy a beater DD.

NOTE: 4Runners don't make the greatest trail vehicles IMHO - they are heavy, complex, and have WAY too much glass. MUCH better to build an older, cheaper truck for the trail.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds like you don't 'wheel much... I would mod the 'runner then and buy a beater DD.

NOTE: 4Runners don't make the greatest trail vehicles IMHO - they are heavy, complex, and have WAY too much glass. MUCH better to build an older, cheaper truck for the trail.
Ya, I don't wheel as much as I would like but I do wheel.

If I got an older truck I would look for an old landcruiser fj40/45/55.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As soon as $$ permits I'm looking to get some sliders and then maybe a new bumper tjm 17.

Thinking to mod in this order:
1. sliders/skid plates
2. front bumper
3. lift ss#7 (not sure)
4. tires
5. aux. lights
6. rear bumper (screwed mine up a bit :D )
7. way down the line if needed a locker

Misc. mods
99 headlight conversion and cup holder mod
tundra brake upgrade

I hate to say it but I'm kind of being a pansie about this since my 4runner has like 163,xxx miles on it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I personally wouldn't lift and tire, till your current tires wear out.

My order:
Skids/sliders
Locker/gears
Lift/tires

And in between, load up on recovery gear and spares.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i have a 99 taco that im going to keep street legal, but it is my toy. i just got a 4 runner for a dd. that way... when the truck breaks, i can still get to work. and the store to buy parts.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been looking at sliders and can't make up my mind. Here is what I'm thinking

1. Wabfab
2. Stubbs welding (standard)
3. 4crawler

They are in no particular order. What would you guys chose for your first choice? I'm a little torn between the first two.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
buy a trail rig, keep your runner nice.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I voted for getting a '01-'04 Tacoma mostly because I am such a Tacoma nut. I think there's nothing you can't do with a Tacoma. I've just about modified mine to the hilt, and it's still my DD.

Like Troy said - 4Runners aren't the best Off-Road rigs. Same engine and drivetrain as the Tacoma, but with a heavier, less versitile, less stable, and more vulnerable body. If you're going to spend the money to put a lift, tires, bumpers, sliders, skids and a locker on a vehicle - I personally think you would get more benefit and longevity and end up with a more capable vehicle in a Tacoma.

:2cents: :2cents:​

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya, but what would be the fun in getting a vehicle that's already capable. :D
Granted I do like the 01-04 dblcab tacoma's, they are just out of my price range at the moment. So I have to stick w/ my 4runner. Any how what about the sliders.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I have the 4Crawler Ultimate sliders and LOVE them. They work AWESOME. But, they are square tube, and not everyone likes that look. You can't go wrong with any of the ones you listed - it's gonna come down to which ones you think look best.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
For the money you're looking to put into your Runner, you could just buy a solid front axle toy truck. 2c

1 - 17 of 17 Posts