TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and new to offroading and I need some pointers. I drive a 2004 Tacoma 2.7l 4 banger. I was looking for any suggestions on making my truck more offroad capable. I'm hesitant to get a lift because I've heard that it can put excess wear on stock parts. Any thoughts? Also, I would like to install a rear locker but don't know of any good aftermarket product to do the job. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome. basically any lift will cause wear on the parts. But that doesn't mean the are all bad. I'd say most people here would say a lift is required to do off roading. The search tab will give a lot of info on "Lifts" and "Rear lockers". look around for a bit for the info, and people here will also give you good advice. My tacoma is still stock so i'm no expert.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
mess with anything but the engine

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
DirtHungry said:
I'm hesitant to get a lift because I've heard that it can put excess wear on stock parts..
anything offroad will wear out your trucks shit...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome to TTORA!
Just use the search feature and check out the TECH/FAQ pages and you will be on your way. The stock trucks are pretty capable. Probably best to wheel it like that for a while and learn to drive and learn the limitations of your truck. Get protection and do it right the first time!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
dont lift it yet just get armor then traction then see how you like it. dont go cheep on the armor like buying bull bars and nurfs get real pumpers and sliders and skids. then when you start getting stuck get tires and or a locker then worry about suspension.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about getting BFG MT tires. How well do they do for muddin?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
DirtHungry said:
I was thinking about getting BFG MT tires. How well do they do for muddin?
they are great.... if ya got any more ?'s like that bust out a quick search...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice fellas. My questions are pretty basic, but you got to learn somehow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts