TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a 2000 Honda CRV. We have been doing the simple work on it, like changing oil, changing brake pads, etc. For a month or two, if the front wheels are cranked all the way to one side or the other, there is a weird sound. The sound is a rubbing type noise, and can only be heard if the car is in motion. What I mean by this is that I can turn the wheels cranked to one side or the other when the car is not in motion and the sound can not be heard. I kinda felt that this illiminated the chance that the sound was from the power steering. Steering and driving actually seems totally normal. The rubbing type noise that I am hearing has a sorta squeeling sound to it, it's not a grinding or scratchy sound. I just replaced the front brake pads this morning, and while the wheels were off I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary, other than one of the pads had about a millimeter left on it. Anyone have any experience with these CRVs, and know what this weird noise is? I hate working on this car, or whatever it is. (Millenial Station Wagon). Why can't my mom just buy a normal vehicle? Anyways, I'd appreciate any help or advice.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Is it a clicking noise? Does it only happen when in motion and making a sharp turn? If so, then it's time to replace the CV joints. What kind of condition are the boots in?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KANEMAN23 said:
Is it a clicking noise? Does it only happen when in motion and making a sharp turn? If so, then it's time to replace the CV joints. What kind of condition are the boots in?
No, its not a clicking sound at all, and the CV boots look fine. It's more of a rubbing sound. It almost just sounds like there needs to be some lube applied to something, but I don't see any zircs. If the CV's need lube, I don't know about what it takes to lube them. It does only happen when in motion and making the sharpest turns when like turning into a parking spot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have changed the brakes recently, I would double check everything you unbolted or removed to make sure it all went back together right.

If the noise sounds like metal rubbing metal, 9 out of 10 chance that is exactly what is happening. How much have you driven it lately? I would check ASAP incase it is a caliper bolt loose or something. Could be costly if something actually falls off going down the road. Are there any dash lights coming on?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ddriggers2 said:
If you have changed the brakes recently, I would double check everything you unbolted or removed to make sure it all went back together right.

If the noise sounds like metal rubbing metal, 9 out of 10 chance that is exactly what is happening. How much have you driven it lately? I would check ASAP incase it is a caliper bolt loose or something. Could be costly if something actually falls off going down the road. Are there any dash lights coming on?
No, I just did the brakes, but the noise has been going on for a couple months.

·
Registered
269 Posts
TheChiefSinner said:
No, I just did the brakes, but the noise has been going on for a couple months.
Do the tires rub at full lock? My parent's Toyota Sienna did when I purchased slightly bigger tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NisAznMonk said:
Do the tires rub at full lock? My parent's Toyota Sienna did when I purchased slightly bigger tires.
No, there is no tire rub. Think it is the CV joints after talking to my mom's cousin. I don't know if I can do anything about it. I've hot a hayes manual for the CRV, but it is such a POS it isn't even worth wiping with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
TheChiefSinner
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing