TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris and I ran Moody Hill and we think Crystal Mtn. today. Great last minute run to get some more time in the new rig before moab.
Here are my random pics:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You must be lovin' that 4Runner. It's looking good. I'm sure you'll do well in Moab.
Runner did good, I was having a few issues with it running periodically but nothing huge. Its a little different compared to wheeling the 06 runner..

·
7,735 Posts
Yeah, I spy the playground at the bottom of crystal. Were the 'no trespassing' signs still up? or did somebody pull their heads out of asses and leave the trail open?

Wish I'd seen the run before 930 this morning, I would have ran down the road and ran it with you guys.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah, I spy the playground at the bottom of crystal. Were the 'no trespassing' signs still up? or did somebody pull their heads out of asses and leave the trail open?

Wish I'd seen the run before 930 this morning, I would have ran down the road and ran it with you guys.
There are no trespassing signs all over but it's only for the forest according to some dirt bikers we ran into up there. It's designated refuge or something like that...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Having trouble with the videos Carolyn took but here are some pics:

What's an easier way of getting videos on here without having to upload to bucket....that takes foooooooreveeeeeer.

·
7,735 Posts
There are no trespassing signs all over but it's only for the forest according to some dirt bikers we ran into up there. It's designated refuge or something like that...
for future reference: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174834

There have always been many signs along the way that basically say stay on the road, but there was a new one put up that basically closed the trail a few hundred yards in. Last time I ran into the Horsetooth wheelers, they said COHVCO was still fighting it out with the state. I have a pic someplace of the sign i'm talking about, but it's easily overlooked I'll try to find the pic of the sign and post it up later.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Link for article doesn't have the article anymore.

Are you talking about a gate on Moody or down towards Crystal? There was a gate and private property sign after turning left at a large intersection, but the gate was open. We did not proceed and went the other way to (what we thought was) Crystal.

Can't be more help than that. Don't know all the ins and outs of that network up there. But I will tell you we ran about 25-30 miles of trail/spurs and only encountered the one private property sign. All gates we came to were open.

Crystal turned out to be a fun little trail with some great hill climbs!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pics look good Chris!!
No Videos!!! No.... haha I want to see that one of me trying the steep climb with the front end coming up!!
You tube might be easier for loading..

·
Registered
434 Posts
What's an easier way of getting videos on here without having to upload to bucket....that takes foooooooreveeeeeer.
Well... I love Dropbox myself.

It really depends on what you want... Just a place to put some files, or a fancy website that can display them for you? If you need the latter, you'll need some Photobucket-like site. I'm not sure which sites can upload and play the video, other than the normal YouTube, Photobucket, etc.

However, if your internet has poor upload bandwidth (most do...) then there's nothing you can do 'cept grab a beer and wait. I pay for ~20mbit down, but I only get 2-3mbit up. Retarded.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Moody Hill/Crystal Mountain combo is my absolute favorite trail...definitely want to get out on it again this year.

There is a decent thread on Colorado4x4 about the closure and such, and while I'm not sure if there is a final outcome right now, the last official word I heard about it is that the Forest Service has decided not to enforce anything unless the lease holder for the land up there installs a gate.

According to a representative from COHVCO, there is currently a negotiation to lease an easement across the Land Trust land. They needed a large sponsor to help enforce it, and the Forest Service stepped up, and the funds are already available to pay for it. No one has said anything about the deal being officially sealed, but once negotiations started, the signs went down and the gate at the big intersection (where Moody comes in and the main road goes towards CO44) opened up.

At this point, it seems like its open until the CO Land Trust or the current lease holder takes further action to keep the general public from this trail. This is 3rd hand information though, so don't take my word completely for it. The same rules apply from before the closure stuff happened though, so stay on the trail and consider everything around it until about half way up the trail from the playground area to be surrounded by private land. There is a very tempting camping spot on the trail next to the big ledge in the playground area, but its definitely off limits.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I remember the description and read the map/sat photos correctly when I originally posted the article, the closure would have been shortly after the last picture in the first post on this thread (if that's where I think it is).
Actually, technically the CO State Land Trust land starts before the intersection that you turn up to go on Crystal Mountain. Here is a map of the parcel in question...

Here is the thread on CO4x4 about it.... http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=179391&highlight=crystal+mountain

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
All I know is that it's open and you should get your fix if the details on closure are correct. First time up there and I'm definitely going bac before the snow closes in this year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Moody Hill/Crystal Mountain combo is my absolute favorite trail...definitely want to get out on it again this year.

There is a decent thread on Colorado4x4 about the closure and such, and while I'm not sure if there is a final outcome right now, the last official word I heard about it is that the Forest Service has decided not to enforce anything unless the lease holder for the land up there installs a gate.

According to a representative from COHVCO, there is currently a negotiation to lease an easement across the Land Trust land. They needed a large sponsor to help enforce it, and the Forest Service stepped up, and the funds are already available to pay for it. No one has said anything about the deal being officially sealed, but once negotiations started, the signs went down and the gate at the big intersection (where Moody comes in and the main road goes towards CO44) opened up.

At this point, it seems like its open until the CO Land Trust or the current lease holder takes further action to keep the general public from this trail. This is 3rd hand information though, so don't take my word completely for it. The same rules apply from before the closure stuff happened though, so stay on the trail and consider everything around it until about half way up the trail from the playground area to be surrounded by private land. There is a very tempting camping spot on the trail next to the big ledge in the playground area, but its definitely off limits.
All I know is that it's open and you should get your fix if the details on closure are correct. First time up there and I'm definitely going bac before the snow closes in this year.
I plan on it as well
Lets make it happen!! Post Moab trip?? We should have some time before snow closes it.

·
7,735 Posts

good info. Thanks!

And I wasn't trying to call anybody out or anything, just wondering what what going on with that trail. Moody/Crystal is still one of my favorites.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts