TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically on the 07's....

Went and looked at the TRD Sport one quick yesterday and have a few questions...

Oil changes - how are they? I noticed the oil filter located on the right side of the engine compartment (4.0L) and up pretty high and towards the front of the vehicle. They're still mounting the oil filters pointing downwards...???

Composite Bed - what's it rated to haul? Is it strong enough to handle a full bedload of mulch? Anyone have problems with the beds buckling or cracking?

Compositie Tailgate - I've heard the tailgate will buckle if you put too much weight on it...??

In the TRD Sport model - do they all have engine oil coolers? I was looking in the brochure and was somewhat confused whether they all had engine oil coolers or just the Autos with the towing package & tranny cooler.

The CD changer- TRD Sport: It looks like there's only a single CD slot. I would assume this is where the CD changer is - just load up 6 CD's in the same slot?

I still need to drive 'em. I want to drive both the Auto and Manual. I'm not torn between either of them. It'll be a matter of how it feels I guess.

Thanks for the help guys/gals!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oil changes are very easy. The filter has a thing catches the oil from the filter.
Bed is as strong as anything elese.
The tailgate, from what I can tell, will bend if miss used. Just like anyother. In fact, I dropped off a Big rock for a friend. Hauled it in my truck with no problems, he put it in his Nissan, and it folded his tailgate.
Not sure on the oil coolers.
They do have 3 types of CD players, I think. A single disk, 6 disk changer, and 6 disk JBL.

·
Registered
156 Posts
pretty sure that the oil cooler only comes with the towing package. They might add it if you special order it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
doublej said:
pretty sure that the oil cooler only comes with the towing package. They might add it if you special order it.
Oil filter position is really cool with mess/free changing; Composite bed's fine with a bed mat in it, but won't take a rear collision....I now have two of them stacked in the backyard. However, insurance company chose to replace them because of cracking that I considered insignificant. They're stout enough to haul the stated payload and tough otherwise. I weigh 240 and have stood in the center of the tailgate; I've loaded a ZX-6 on it and it hasn't buckled.

Truck drives and handles like a dream in all kids of weather and at any speed.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Oil change is easy. Here's a tip for ya: Take the little rubber cap off the side of the filter housing and attach a length of rubber tubing to it and run it down to the bottom of the frame. That will allow you to put a pan under it to let the extra oil run into. Tailgate is shit, just be careful how much weight you put on it. Don't stand in the middle if you're big like me (230 lbs). No problems with my bed. I hauled 1400 lbs of stone in it a while back (air bagged). I believe the oil/trans coolers only come with the tow package. I will have to pull out my original factory info package to verify.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys/gals!

Whatta ya think about the manuals versus the auto?
This won't be a 'wheeler' - but only a daily driver. Doesn't matter to me either way - I just want reliability.

I've read a couple people not liking the clutch and the shifting. I've even seen a Youtube (heard the noise) of someone with a throwout bearing squeek already in the 05-07 models (can't remember the exact year).
What's up with that?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Like my auto just fine. I don't like shifting in SoCal freeway traffic.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test drove a manual and an auto.

The manual is really weird.... atleast, from what I'm used to.

Depress the clutch and let off the gas at the same time - I was expecting the engine rpm's to drop like most all manual trannies I've ever driven. The engine rpm's stayed up and it was kinda hard to judge how much gas to give when I let the clutch out again.

I understand this is something you get used to.... but for being a first impression - it was weird.

So - I'm looking at an Auto.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
tailgates are pretty much complete crap and poorly made. but someone on toyotanation has made a new skin for our tailgates and it seems to be pretty damn solid. i didnt like the manuals at all. oil changes are very easy, and yes, all 6 cds go into that slot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there, hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto your thread instead of starting a new one.

Question: Anyone know if it's possible to get Locking rear dif with TRD Sport pkg or get the compas/temp guage on TRD Offroad pkg. I want both those options on a 4x4 DC 6pd manual but from the brochure it doesn't look possible.

Also, what's the difference on the TRD Sport seats and Sport Fabric?

Thanks...

·
Registered
313 Posts
The standard cd player is only single disc unless you get the JBL.

The oil coolers only come with the tow package for the auto. My dad and I have sat on the tail gate and it didnt break. we both weigh over 220.

The bed is nice because you can just toss stuff in their (shovel, some fire wood, anything really) and it wont get scratched and then rust! In my old 03 if you put a feather in the back it would scratch and rust up :mad:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Forgot to mention mine is an auto. That may make a difference but I don't see how that would affect it having a compass and temp gauge or not.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
IF you want a locker instead of LSD, but like the look of the sport....Just paint and color match your grill and bumper. Then go trade someone for a hoodscoop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
marnes2986 said:
IF you want a locker instead of LSD, but like the look of the sport....Just paint and color match your grill and bumper. Then go trade someone for a hoodscoop.
Too much hassle would rather buy the truck the way I want it if it's possible. On another note is a locker also limited slip until you lock it in?

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
Too much hassle would rather buy the truck the way I want it if it's possible. On another note is a locker also limited slip until you lock it in?
The rear locker is open diff untill you lock it. As far as the sport coming with a locker. Not possible, unless someone proves me wrong. The OR package is the only one with a locker. I f you want an OR package with a scoop, and color matching handles, you are gonna have to do that after you buy it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rubberpants said:
The rear locker is open diff untill you lock it. As far as the sport coming with a locker. Not possible, unless someone proves me wrong. The OR package is the only one with a locker. I f you want an OR package with a scoop, and color matching handles, you are gonna have to do that after you buy it.
The TRD Offroad package has the full locker which can only be engaged when in 4lo (like all the other tacomas in the past).

The TRD Sport package comes with the Limited Slip differential which engages with wheel speed. It doesn't need to be turned on with a switch cuz it's always working. Similar to the LSD in my Dodge Ram.

Here's a breakdown of the TRD Offroad versus the TRD Sport
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/options.html

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I like my manual.. And whole truck.. Like the manual cause I like the control over the vehicle alot more then the auto and pull boats mowers and stuff... Got the towing package with the toyo stuff.. Undercoating shit worth 600 bucks. Don't know if it comes with every vehicle or not but it looks like lin-x undercoating pretty sweet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does the new Tacoma use the Sentry key?

(the key with the CHIP in it)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts