TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bug for help but I've got myself into a little problem with my wiring on this 1985 22re 4runner. I have looked at the wiring in the FSM and I'm totally confused on which injector plugs correspond to the injectors. Can anyone help me? I'm assuming that the plugs have to go to specific injectors. So from the front of the engine, 1st injector has blue and white wires 2nd has yellow and white w red stripe, 3rd is blue and white, and 4th is yellow and white w red stripe. Just looking at it, NOW, I feel like it should be different. Can someone help me please and if I do have them wrong what's my issue? It runs poor or not at all? I basically plugged them back as the wires would fit, like they went there. So if anyone can chime in that would help. Thanks again

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok right on, thanks. I'm wondering if the two longer ones could be on the wrong injectors. In my case that would be injector 1 and 4. Well if you have an extra minute and can give me any other injector wire colors that would be awesome but I'm guessing a real PITA, but if you can I'll buy you a cold one or 12

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The 85 4runner 22re uses group injection. All 4 injectors fire at the same time, every time (yes that means 3 wasted injector firings per revolution). You could swap the wires and it would still run without issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 85 4runner 22re uses group injection. All 4 injectors fire at the same time, every time (yes that means 3 wasted injector firings per revolution). You could swap the wires and it would still run without issue.
That explains the wiring diagram. I was trying to figure out why the power for the injectors only came from one wire.

Any to change that? Maybe using a tap off the distributor? Seems like an awful waste of fuel.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Your could swap wiring and ECU to 91 and newer. Those trucks had 2 group injection. Companion cylinders would fire at the same time instead of all 4.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm assuming that would involve swapping the entire harness and adapting various segments to fit the older motor?

EDIT - A bit of research turned up this:

Looks like the 4runner ECU used the same pinouts (in the M/T version, at least) from '85 until '92. Granted, that doesn't mean the same wires end up at the same pins. I don't have a '91+ FSM to confirm and I'm technically supposed to be working right now... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts