TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read up on all the racks available and was set to get the Xsporter but the thule guys said I should just get a roof top unit for my double cab and I would be good to go. I said my kayaks (2) are 14 foot and the xsporter or goal post is what most guys use. They said go roof top, save the money works fine last long time with an added benefit of going over the hood so you can see em better....

What do ya'll think? Will it work?

I've got hull a port racks from my previous vehicle and I wouild like to reuse them. (J style kayak on edge rack) so it would be nice to just add a roof rack and go.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I transport a 14' Old Town canoe (~76lbs.) on a Yakima roof rack (wifes expedition) and on a bed rack with my Tacoma. I have no problem with either one. If you are concerned about the strength of the roof rack system don't be. It will work fine. If you are concerned about the small space between the front and back bars of the rack, keep in mind that the spacing will probably be just as wide as the X-porter if you have a short bed tacoma. In an ideal world it would be best to have a combination of the two (roof and X-porter).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ya, spacing was my concern. You make good points. As I thought about it more, its about the same space as I had on my last vehicle so of course it would work. I did call thule to ask them about it as they do have some exclusions... the factory notes said kayak mounts on a 4 door are no problem.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I put one tower of the Yakima Outdoorsman on my X-cab with a set of Q-Towers to haul my 16' Canoe. The roof rack mount may be more convienient, but I've recently found that with some of the home projects I've been working on, my setup works great for hauling lumber, ladders, and other long items. If you have a DC and find you need more room than your bed will provide, the goal posts are a more versatile alternative to just an over the cab rack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Use this setup

This is what I use on my 06 Tacoma DC. Thule 400XT foot pak, 2160 fit kit, 58" bars and 44" fairing. The whole setup with tax & $20 installation was $286. I opted for the install because these guys at Rack Warehouse (a local Vermont Company) do it all the time & it took two of them less than 15 mins & its done right. When I asked about the footprint on top (there is 37 1/2" between the bars), the sales guy said there are many smaller cars using the same setup with no issues. The company guaranteed the setup or would take my money back. Its still on my truck.

Here's a pic without my cradles (Yakima roller in the back, cradle in the front). Two 12' Wilderness System Pungos fit fine with no issues. Love the setup & have very minimal wind noise with the fairing. The roof setup allowed me to put an Extang Trifecta Tonneau on the back, something a bed rack system would prohibit.

Good luck with your setup whichever you choose.

Attachments

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I have had a Yakima Q-tower setup on my roof that I have used since 2000-
Its worked out well- but if in hindsights- I would go with a 1/2 the Q-tower roof paired with the Yakima Outdoorsman.- Just as Breathegood mentioned.

This gives you a lot of versatility with spacing the mounts-
It also allows you to position the kayaks centered over the length of the truck. That way the the Kayaks won't be posisitone too far forward or rearward.

I also think loading, unloading, and strapping down the kayaks will be easier with this setup - since you can stand in the bed and still access both forward & rear cross bars.

I will probably pick up a single outdoorsman to add to my setup sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts