TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to get more power out of my otherwise stock engine at a flip of a switch. so i can have the power when i want/ need it and have the gas mileage of my stock engine when i don't need the power. is that possible with water/methanol injection??? how much engine tuning would I have to do. I'm Okay at basic modifications and with the help of friends some basic fabricating but i have not done much with engine modifications and don't have the tools to tune the engine management system. any help would be great

Thx, Dave

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Welcome Dave im sure water/meth will work although its pretty tuff to make any gains with just bolt on parts unless you supercharge and for greater gains add fuel mods to the supercharger. Other than that thats about all your going to get. Some would say do the deckplate mod but it did nothing for me.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I want to be able to get more power out of my otherwise stock engine at a flip of a switch. so i can have the power when i want/ need it and have the gas mileage of my stock engine when i don't need the power. is that possible with water/methanol injection??? how much engine tuning would I have to do. I'm Okay at basic modifications and with the help of friends some basic fabricating but i have not done much with engine modifications and don't have the tools to tune the engine management system. any help would be great

Thx, Dave
yup, a 50-shot Nitrous system will do that ;) Under $1k for a basic system

or go SC. If you don't stomp on it too much you retain your mileage...usually a little better than stock.
use a heavy foot, however and watch the needle move, LOL figure $3500-4000 by the time you get fuel mods and other stuff done.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There is also a propane injection system (instead of nitrus), but I'm not sure who makes it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for all the help I'm looking fore more long term power than I think a nitrous system will give me I want to be able to leave it on while I’m on steep grades or pulling a trailer up mountain roods. I don’t have a truck yet there are a few that I’m looking at. Most are 4cyl but one of them is a 6. I was hoping to get the power of a stock 6 out of the 4. For the gas mileage but I don’t know how well the 4 will do pulling a trailer up steep mountain roads. Or off road on steep trails. And I’m confused about the supercharger I will get better gas mileage with the super charger than stock if I don’t drive with a heavy foot.??? With a super charger I have to run high octane gas right??

I really appreciate the help,
Dave

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I was hoping to get the power of a stock 6 out of the 4.
Supercharger and re gear ;)

how well the 4 will do pulling a trailer up steep mountain roads. Or off road on steep trails.
Not that great, when i had 31s and 4.30s i was havin a hard time pullin a drift boat up some long hills, i did it, but she didn't like it....

off road with 4.30s and 33s i do just fine in 4 low, crawling would be much better with some 4.88s or even 4.56s, but i am gettin her done with what I got...

And I’m confused about the supercharger I will get better gas mileage with the super charger than stock if I don’t drive with a heavy foot.???
Shouldn't be that much worse, i got several buddies with the SCed V6 and there MPG is bout the same with a light foot....

With a super charger I have to run high octane gas right??
yep

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Thx for all the help I'm looking fore more long term power than I think a nitrous system will give me I want to be able to leave it on while I’m on steep grades or pulling a trailer up mountain roods. I don’t have a truck yet there are a few that I’m looking at. Most are 4cyl but one of them is a 6. I was hoping to get the power of a stock 6 out of the 4. For the gas mileage but I don’t know how well the 4 will do pulling a trailer up steep mountain roads. Or off road on steep trails. And I’m confused about the supercharger I will get better gas mileage with the super charger than stock if I don’t drive with a heavy foot.??? With a super charger I have to run high octane gas right??

I really appreciate the help,
Dave
the only way you can achieve that is to go with a SC and fuel mods. yes, they require premium gas as well. With the added hp and torque the mileage increases with general driving because you don't have to use so much gas pedal to get the truck moving. But, once you stomp on it all that goes out the tail pipe ;)

and no, the 2.7 is NOT a good choice for towing, especially on steep mt roads. If you plan on towing/hauling up steep hills don't even bother with the 4banger.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I was hoping to get the power of a stock 6 out of the 4.
What's the point? Just buy a V6. The extra money for a V6 will still be less than what you'd spend trying to get V6 power out af a 4cyl. And if it's for gas reasons, chances are the 4cyl would get worse MPG than the V6 after what you'd have to do to it to get the power you're looking for.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
What's the point? Just buy a V6. The extra money for a V6 will still be less than what you'd spend trying to get V6 power out af a 4cyl. And if it's for gas reasons, chances are the 4cyl would get worse MPG than the V6 after what you'd have to do to it to get the power you're looking for.
x2

4bangers are great...if you leave the truck stock ;)

wanna do lots of mods, tall lift, big tires, SAS, etc? don't even bother cuz the mileage can actually get worse than what a v6 will give when equally modded.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You need that supercharger Mad Max had...

and a dubbed voice.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
sounds like the 6 is the way to go thanks for all the help il start looking for some more 6cyl around here. somebody mentioned the deckplate mod and i found it in the mods section but there is no pictures. if somebody could post some pictures so i can have a better idea of what it is and how much more power it actually gives

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
sounds like the 6 is the way to go thanks for all the help il start looking for some more 6cyl around here. somebody mentioned the deckplate mod and i found it in the mods section but there is no pictures. if somebody could post some pictures so i can have a better idea of what it is and how much more power it actually gives
I doubt if anyone has done dyno specs before/after the deckplate mod...mostly the seat-o-the-pants hp guage is used ;)

google is your friend ;)

"deck plate mod"
top o the page...
http://www.wattora.com/index.php?page_id=10

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Other than WOT why would you ever need to shoot the gas to it? There are staged staged controllers so that you don't dump it all on at once to save the drive train some instantaneous loading strain but too my knowledge you're still at WOT when the giggle gas goes in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.