TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change the motor in my 95 4Runner and want to try and squeze as much power as possible out of the 3.0. Is there anything to increase the power of the 3.0?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,294 Posts
nothin for major ponies like the supercharger for the 3.4, but you could get a little from headers and exhaust. other than that, i dont know of too much available
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Professor™ said:
I seem to remember reading about a Camry dual cam head swap awhile back on yotatech. You might check there. The only other thing I've seen is to completely swap it out for a 3.4 .

I just got the 3.0 so going to a 3.4 is out. I will look into the head swap you mentioned. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
tech96 said:
I am about to change the motor in my 95 4Runner and want to try and squeze as much power as possible out of the 3.0. Is there anything to increase the power of the 3.0?

Get the 350 kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I have a 93 4runner that we just put a 2003 s/c 3.4. It's alot of work, but trust me, it's worth it. I can help you with info if you need it, but it sounds like you already have a motor.

In my opinion, the only thing the 3.0 is good for is a boat anchor. But I have see a few that put out some power...nothing like what you can do to a 3.4 though.

Hope this helps.

Eric
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
odonekanobe said:
I have a 93 4runner that we just put a 2003 s/c 3.4. It's alot of work, but trust me, it's worth it. I can help you with info if you need it, but it sounds like you already have a motor.

In my opinion, the only thing the 3.0 is good for is a boat anchor. But I have see a few that put out some power...nothing like what you can do to a 3.4 though.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Whats a 3.4 going for? Maybe something to think about for the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
If you're up for taking the motor apart, have the heads shaved down a little to bump up the compression. That will give you some more power. You could extrude hone the intake manifold. Add an intake, exhaust. It won't add up to too much in the end and you'll spend a lot of money.

If you really want power just put your own turbo kit together. I don't know if manifolds are available for the 3.0 so you might need to fab your own to go that route. The only reason I suggest turbo is because if you can swap your own engine you put your own turbo kit together. There's no better way for power.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
akshunj said:
If you're up for taking the motor apart, have the heads shaved down a little to bump up the compression. That will give you some more power. You could extrude hone the intake manifold. Add an intake, exhaust. It won't add up to too much in the end and you'll spend a lot of money.

If you really want power just put your own turbo kit together. I don't know if manifolds are available for the 3.0 so you might need to fab your own to go that route. The only reason I suggest turbo is because if you can swap your own engine you put your own turbo kit together. There's no better way for power.
Thanks for the info on the heads. I will be pulling the heads off to check the cylinder walls and replacing the gaskets. I will look into getting them shaved by a local machine shop.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 93 4runner that we just put a 2003 s/c 3.4. It's alot of work, but trust me, it's worth it. I can help you with info if you need it, but it sounds like you already have a motor.

In my opinion, the only thing the 3.0 is good for is a boat anchor. But I have see a few that put out some power...nothing like what you can do to a 3.4 though.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Eric,
I never have changed the motor yet and have been looking into the Ls400 v8 swap and have gathered alot of info to compare it with the 3.4 swap. I am currently researching the 3.4 swap so any info you could pass on would be appreciated. I am going to call my contact at the wrecking yard to price the 3.4 tomorrow. I have priced the v8 at $800 for everything but the size is my concern.

Thanks
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I seem to remember reading about a Camry dual cam head swap awhile back on yotatech. You might check there. The only other thing I've seen is to completely swap it out for a 3.4 .
The guy that was trying to do that never got it done. It would be much easier to swap in a 5VZFE than to try to convert a 3VZE into a 3VZFE.

I'd think twice about putting a blower on a 3.0, the headgaskets are weak enough already without boosting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,222 Posts
Eric,
I never have changed the motor yet and have been looking into the Ls400 v8 swap and have gathered alot of info to compare it with the 3.4 swap. I am currently researching the 3.4 swap so any info you could pass on would be appreciated. I am going to call my contact at the wrecking yard to price the 3.4 tomorrow. I have priced the v8 at $800 for everything but the size is my concern.

Thanks
Bill

What about a the size on a 4.0 V8 concerns you? It'll fit and cool just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
headers are about the only thing i did. it helped throttle responce but thats about it.
its not a power house, never will be, but its reliable with decent torque. either swap or stay on top of maintance on the 3.slow. headers are cake to do if its sas'd:D
i wouldnt waste another dime trying to get more ponies out of it. i am gonna swap mine with a 3.4 or a 4.7v8
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about a the size on a 4.0 V8 concerns you? It'll fit and cool just fine.
The headers are really the main part. I have to look into this further because the price I was quoted today on the 3.4 was a little steep. I have a 3" body lift because I am going to do the gas tank relocate so I think this will help on the motor side because I can raise it to clear the oil pan and from what I have read the factory headers.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I am about to change the motor in my 95 4Runner and want to try and squeze as much power as possible out of the 3.0. Is there anything to increase the power of the 3.0?
Um maybe put a 4cyl in it...just kidding .The 3.0 is a guttless wonder and a POS in my opinion.I can't believe Toyota actually built an engine with no torque or horsepower and put it in a truck!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
2k1trd
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top