TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will start out by saying I do a lot more reading on here than I do posting. The factory red on my truck was slightly faded when I purchased it 3 years ago and well time and paint restoration products as well as rusted rear fenders didn't do it much good. Upon seeing the results of others from the roll on paint thread I figured I would give it a shot. The before pictures are from last fall when I had a lift and 33's on my truck. Oh yeah I think I had the vivid effect on my camera and the truck was recently waxed so the red looks more red than it actually was.
Before:

After:

Please excuse the rear fenders they were my first attempt at body work. Had to chop out some rather large sections and weld in new sheet metal. The bondo doesnt look all that great but I have some fender flares which hide it pretty well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks awesome man! Some black flares would really make it complete.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
looks like a pain to get all the paint drips off of the moldings! good tip for glass is to use 000 grade steel wool, i use it to get primer clear and base off of windows also works good for metal spark marks
looks like it came out pretty damn well, although great choise in color for a roll on paint job white shows nothing!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Damn, that looks sweet! Nice work!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished cleaning the windows about 2 hours ago. I used steel wool on the windshield and main windows. I used this spray paint remover stuff on the extra cab windows and the back glass it worked really well. The steel wool seems to work on the rubber trim as well. I need to get some goo gone for the rubber around the back window. The masking tape I used left a lot of residue. Thanks for compliments.

·
Registered
101 Posts
sweeeeeet!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I thought about doing my truck in white but decided against it. Maybe next time :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
i did hatteras off white on my 85 runner...did you use the normal white?

·
Registered
756 Posts
yo, you used roll on paint? i just sprayed my tailgate and it looks like crap. how did you paint your rig and what kind of paint did you use? i searched and didnt see many posts for roll on paint.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
yo, you used roll on paint? i just sprayed my tailgate and it looks like crap. how did you paint your rig and what kind of paint did you use? i searched and didnt see many posts for roll on paint.
I started a huge thread on it. Search in topics I've started in my "View Public Profile" tab.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wow man very impressive, good to know that white will turn out well. When you get scratches on the trail do you think it will go through to the bottom stock paint?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
wouldnt it have been easier to remove the glass?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the compliments guys. I got my fender liners and flares back on last night ill try to come up with a camera to get some pictures up on here. The credit for finding this paint all goes to Brain. I am really pleased with how it turned out.

Oh yeah I did have the extra cab windows out to spray paint around them. I was driving it in between coats so I didnt really want to leave my windows out for the 2 weeks I worked on it. The runs on the glass cleaned up fairly easy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did hatteras off white on my 85 runner...did you use the normal white?
Yeah I used regular white. How did the hatteras turn out?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow man very impressive, good to know that white will turn out well. When you get scratches on the trail do you think it will go through to the bottom stock paint?
I really hope the scratches wont show through all 6 coats. It will look like its bleeding or something if it does. I think im going wheeling/camping for the 4th so we will see then.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts