TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Sway Aways and the aluminum adjustment collars have frozen up from road salt,dirt,and road grime. So that pretty much defeats the purpose of spending 625.00 on adjustable coilovers and they dont adjust,that isnt cool! Every time I go to the snow I wash my truck the next day,I usually am very good about washing my entire truck and my visible suspension components

The main problem I am having is my suspension is stuck on 3" of lift and I am blowing boots faster than I can change them,I have already gone through one spanner wrench trying to crank them down without success,and yes I have tried every lubricant out there with no luck,and still no luck!

Is anyone else having the same problem??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,294 Posts
i guess you could try a diff drop to see if that alleviates the problem, if you dont already have one...the more expensive option being to get some donahoes w/ a lifetime guarantee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YoTRacer158 said:
i guess you could try a diff drop to see if that alleviates the problem, if you dont already have one...the more expensive option being to get some donahoes w/ a lifetime guarantee
The sad thing is that I already have a 3/4" diff drop,I think I will put a solid front axle if I do decide on anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Davis3000 said:
Well it's been about a year or so since we got Ryan Shrimp at Sway Away to recall the Tundra valved,and Tacoma valved Sway Away coilovers.

Now a new problem I am starting to notice on mine and other peoples Sway Aways is the adjustment collars are freezing up from road salt,dirt,and road grime. So that pretty much defeats the purpose of spending 625.00 on adjustable coilovers and they dont adjust,that isnt cool!

My suspension is stuck on 3" of lift and I am blowing boots faster than I can change them,I have already gone through one spanner wrench trying to crank them down without success,and yes I have tried every lubricant out there with no luck,and still no luck!

Is anyone else having the same problem??
I've got SAW's and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nanotruck said:
I've got SAW's and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
I do have to say they have great customer service and at least are trying to maintain a good reputation which is awesome!

Hopefully Ryan or a rep for sway away can chime in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
Davis3000 said:
Well it's been about a year or so since we got Ryan Shrimp at Sway Away to recall the Tundra valved,and Tacoma valved Sway Away coilovers.

Now a new problem I am starting to notice on mine and other peoples Sway Aways is the adjustment collars are freezing up from road salt,dirt,and road grime. So that pretty much defeats the purpose of spending 625.00 on adjustable coilovers and they dont adjust,that isnt cool!

My suspension is stuck on 3" of lift and I am blowing boots faster than I can change them,I have already gone through one spanner wrench trying to crank them down without success,and yes I have tried every lubricant out there with no luck,and still no luck!

Is anyone else having the same problem??
Do you blame toyota for not washing your truck?

Give me a break anything metal will rust, you gotta take the encentive to prevent that, IE WD40 & washing things... Dont expect something like a shock not to rust.. if you dont take care of it, then you wont beable to use it... simple enough, i make sure to spray my shocks with some kind of oil every so often to prevent rust, and its worked i can adjust them without any effort at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Do you blame toyota for not washing your truck?

Give me a break anything metal will rust, you gotta take the encentive to prevent that, IE WD40 & washing things... Dont expect something like a shock not to rust.. if you dont take care of it, then you wont beable to use it... simple enough, i make sure to spray my shocks with some kind of oil every so often to prevent rust, and its worked i can adjust them without any effort at all.
Rust is not the problem, the collar is aluminum and the shock-body is aluminized. Aluminum doesn't rust it oxidizes.

If you live where there is road salt or inclement weather you need to lube the threads frequently or they will seize. I forgot what the exact chemical is but there is something you can squirt on there to help free the collar, it's not just liquid wrench, I saw it on Yotatech a while ago you might try a search there. Sway-A-Way recently began nickel plating their shock bodies to help prevent this. I think the problem is that people forget that these shocks are a racing type product and things like heims and seals will wear out faster than on a standard shock. SAW's are still the least expensive option in the bolt-in coil-over market so I think in that regard they are a great choice. Did you call Ryan before going online and expressing your problems? Ryan is a good guy and he will help you figure out what to do to get your shocks working again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Rust is not the problem, the collar is aluminum and the shock-body is aluminized. Aluminum doesn't rust it oxidizes.

If you live where there is road salt or inclement weather you need to lube the threads frequently or they will seize. I forgot what the exact chemical is but there is something you can squirt on there to help free the collar, it's not just liquid wrench, I saw it on Yotatech a while ago you might try a search there. Sway-A-Way recently began nickel plating their shock bodies to help prevent this. I think the problem is that people forget that these shocks are a racing type product and things like heims and seals will wear out faster than on a standard shock. SAW's are still the least expensive option in the bolt-in coil-over market so I think in that regard they are a great choice. Did you call Ryan before going online and expressing your problems? Ryan is a good guy and he will help you figure out what to do to get your shocks working again.
Thank you for clarifying to dorkis about the aluminum collar

I havent contacted him yet on the issue,my main goal for starting this thread was to see if anybody else was experiencing this problem besides myself,if it was an issue with a lot of people then I was going to contact Ryan and get his comment on it.I am not trying to ruin anybodies reputation but just had a concern that I feel others should be aware of IMO.

Maybe what we need to do is stress the importance to new Sway Away owners to lube the shock collar weekly to prevent the freeze up.



edited to correct speeeelling
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
A pipe wrench will free it up very easily. We had a set freeze up on Jim from our chapter and the pipe wrench handled the task with ease. The only downside is that the pipe wrench will chew up the outside of the collar on you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
SEAN_at_TLT said:
Rust is not the problem, the collar is aluminum and the shock-body is aluminized. Aluminum doesn't rust it oxidizes.
Well, your right and wrong. Aluminum doesn't rust but Aluminized steel is just steel with a thin coating of aluminum to resist rust. Those shocks are directly in the path of rocks and things of that nature flying at high speed from his and other peoples tires. Penatrate that thin coat and you'll get rust. My aluminized exhaust has rust on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
akshunj said:
A pipe wrench will free it up very easily. We had a set freeze up on Jim from our chapter and the pipe wrench handled the task with ease. The only downside is that the pipe wrench will chew up the outside of the collar on you.
Hell....I may try that next,it sucks that you should have to resort to that but ohh well,nothings perfect!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
yeah I know it would suck to have to chew up a nice set of coilovers like that, maybe you could put a rag around them to try and stop the pipe from chewing up the collar on you? If you break it free, they must just spin by hand after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YoTRacer158 said:
i guess you could try a diff drop to see if that alleviates the problem, if you dont already have one...the more expensive option being to get some donahoes w/ a lifetime guarantee
Off Topic.....who was the jackass videotaping you on the hill climb,what an asshole! Must be a Hummer owner or something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
ocmike said:
Well, your right and wrong. Aluminum doesn't rust but Aluminized steel is just steel with a thin coating of aluminum to resist rust. Those shocks are directly in the path of rocks and things of that nature flying at high speed from his and other peoples tires. Penatrate that thin coat and you'll get rust. My aluminized exhaust has rust on it.


You may be right about the rocks and such, But i doubt rocks are ever going to hit between the collar and shock body where the collar is seizing to the body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
akshunj said:
yeah I know it would suck to have to chew up a nice set of coilovers like that, maybe you could put a rag around them to try and stop the pipe from chewing up the collar on you? If you break it free, they must just spin by hand after that.
Something that seemed to work pretty well until my spanner wrench broke last time was I soaked the adjustment collar all night with super lubricant and the next day used my hi-lift jack handle with my spanner for leverage,that worked last time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
My Donahoes are going to enjoy the best New England has to offer this winter. The states and towns around here think salt is the greatest thing EVER and use it liberally.

So, I'll be spraying my favorite anti-corrosion spray all over them (espeically on the collars) in between snow storms.

We'll know come spring time whether $950 coilovers hold up any better. If the collar has seized or is at least a little tight I won't be that surprised.

I just think it's asking a lot of anything to survive a salty enviroment. Marine quality stainless, aluminum, and titanium are the only things that really hold up. And only the last in that list will do it without maintenance.

If my coilovers show no wear and tear after a New England winter I'll be really impressed.

Good luck with getting service on your Sway Aways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I have heard of this problem, mainly from the east coast guys who drive in the harsh enviroments w/ snow and road salt etc. Our shocks use a plated steel body w/ a aluminum adjusting nut (just like the DR's), however when salt and dirt and grime get between the threads for 2 months, a year or whatever and you dont clean them or treat them for the harsh enviroment what do you think is going to happen. This is not a manufacturing flaw nor is it something that is covered under warranty. I have an analogy for you guys: ( If a guy rides jet skis and likes to use it in the ocean, but doesnt spray the motor w/ silicone to protect it from the salt water and it rusts,who is at fault?? The owner who did not take the proper steps in protecting the product knowing the harsh enviroment he would be using it in or the manufacture of the jet ski????) What I am trying to say is that you have to take care of the product and not just bolt it on for a 100000 miles and expect everything to work like it did when it is new, it just doesnt work that way. I suggest users of adjustable coil-over lifts (Sway-A-Way, Camburg, Donahoe, Fabtech etc) routinely clean the suspension components, keep the threads lubricated, maybe even use anti-seize, and use a silicone based spray to coat the shocks to help prevent them from corroding and you should have no problems. Please feel free to contact me, [email protected] with any questions or concerns
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
STOMPER said:
You may be right about the rocks and such, But i doubt rocks are ever going to hit between the collar and shock body where the collar is seizing to the body.
I dont think it's rocks,but more or less just dirt and silt that work down into the adjustment collar...that would be my hypothesis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,612 Posts
PB BLASTER is my best friend

:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
You will have the same problem on the Donahoes, Fabtech, etc. if you do not take the steps to preotect your investment. Donahoe use a steel body which is plated and an aluminum adjust nut that has been annodized just like all of the other manufactures of adjustable coil-overs. Here is a good question: Do you change your oil????? If so why????
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top