TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone think the 4.0's are lacking compared to the 3.4's in bottom end power? My 2001 taco had a lot of torque, you could be going along in 1st gear and stomp it and the rear would "bark" just going straight. Not in my 07 though.. I'm not sure if it's got traction control or anything like that on there to control the wheel spin but I don't have any buttons for the traction or anything like that.

I'm looking to get some more power down low though what should I do to the new engines if I agreed to it? JBA headers? Don't really want to regear cause I'm planning on getting 255 or 265/75's sometime..

Anyone else felt this problem?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
regear it now and get the bigger tires later

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but if I reger to sometthing bigger then a 3.73 or lower than 4.10 1st gear will be really really low lol.. I think it'll be fine with 32's ayways.. power is good it's just the couple seconds u stomp on it.. well the two times i've stoped on it a little.. Dont seem to have as much as my older one..

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey anyone think the 4.0's are lacking compared to the 3.4's in bottom end power? My 2001 taco had a lot of torque, you could be going along in 1st gear and stomp it and the rear would "bark" just going straight. Not in my 07 though.. I'm not sure if it's got traction control or anything like that on there to control the wheel spin but I don't have any buttons for the traction or anything like that.

I'm looking to get some more power down low though what should I do to the new engines if I agreed to it? JBA headers? Don't really want to regear cause I'm planning on getting 255 or 265/75's sometime.. Different gears? Different Tune? I don't know..

I test drove one about 4 months ago and felt the same way until I drove the FJ. Obviously, the FJ has the same motor but to me it felt more torquey in the bottom-end.

·
Registered
483 Posts
stomp harder.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think they have plenty of low end power, when im out just messin around with my buddies, they have an s10 extreme and a brand new Colorado, were at a light and I stomp the pedal I roast my 33" BFG's across the intersection, and the chevys can even spin there tires. I love the power we get from this 4.0.:D

·
Registered
639 Posts

I'm looking to get some more power down low though what should I do to the new engines if I agreed to it? JBA headers? Don't really want to regear cause I'm planning on getting 255 or 265/75's sometime..

I think you're trippin'. The 4.0 has tons of torque and power through every gear. I drove my buddies 02 Taco and the difference is night and day. The 3.4 is a dog compared to the 4.0; even in first gear.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

either you're smokin some bad weed or your right foot ain't heavy enough, LOL

Oh, and regearing an '05+ will run you about $3k...no joke.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ive smoked those tires with ease...my tires were screaming about the length of two intersections...go 4.0...but more torque would mean more fun!!!
mmmm...burnouts are fun...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe it's my computer cause I baby it always? whenever I get on it, it just hooks and goes.. Seems sometimes like it takes it a second after I stomp on it to start to haul.... I'm not talked about dumping the clutch though, just going along and hit it i nfirst.. I normlly shift around 1800rpm, so the computer could be "programmed" for slow driving haha

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
There is a ton more bottom end power, but your also talking 3.73 vs 4.10, thou with that low 1st its close, but the early taco is lower.. your DC is also heavier which makes burning rubber harder. WOT is WOT, the main thing that is programed is the 5spd auto, which you dont have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
maybe it's my computer cause I baby it always? whenever I get on it, it just hooks and goes.. Seems sometimes like it takes it a second after I stomp on it to start to haul.... I'm not talked about dumping the clutch though, just going along and hit it i nfirst.. I normlly shift around 1800rpm, so the computer could be "programmed" for slow driving haha
How do you like the manual shifting since the switch ? Have you gotten used to the difference with the reving inbetween on the 07 ??

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
There is a ton more bottom end power, but your also talking 3.73 vs 4.10, thou with that low 1st its close, but the early taco is lower.. your DC is also heavier which makes burning rubber harder. WOT is WOT, the main thing that is programed is the 5spd auto, which you dont have.
AFAIK, it still is not proven or disproved that VVTi is adaptive in the intelligence mode. There is too much conjecture on the 'net, but after recently disconnecting my battery for a period of time longer than 5 minutes, I have to believe that it is indeed adaptive in design. Again, this is purely anecdotal and I don't have evidence to state this as fact. The auto in my mom's Avalon is adaptive and is actually a pretty trick transmission. My Tacoma is a 6 speed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I never have spun the tires on dry pavement in my Tacoma. I love how well balanced these trucks are (fora truck of course)

I also have a 2000 chevy full size 2x4 with a long bed, you cant do anything with out spining the tires and let me tell you its not a good thing. You can hardly drive it in the rain!

On top of that even though the chevy has ABS when you brake hard you skid like your on ice, even on dry pavment with warm tires (30+ mile trip on a 90 degree day)

The tacoma is a great truck through and through, The 4.0 has tons of low end power and I think they will beat the HEMI dodges in the quarter.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The 4.0 has tons of low end power and I think they will beat the HEMI dodges in the quarter.
Not sure about that.... Taco DC SB 4x4 auto has approx 17.3 lb/hp, the Quad Cab SB 4x4 auto 1500 hemi only has 15.3 lb/hp (11.5% better), and in the 1/4 aerdynamics isnt a HUGE factor. So I would say that a 345hp hemi will beat a 236hp taco, and the torque difference is huge 375 vs 266... I didnt look long enough to find 1/4 times, thou I know they are out there... but not sure if on the same chassis config.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can roast my tires if I punch it from a dead stop. I don't even have to power brake.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure about that.... Taco DC SB 4x4 auto has approx 17.3 lb/hp, the Quad Cab SB 4x4 auto 1500 hemi only has 15.3 lb/hp (11.5% better), and in the 1/4 aerdynamics isnt a HUGE factor. So I would say that a 345hp hemi will beat a 236hp taco, and the torque difference is huge 375 vs 266... I didnt look long enough to find 1/4 times, thou I know they are out there... but not sure if on the same chassis config.
Not according to Trucktrend.com. Tacoma is faster in the quarter. Tacoma does 15.7 vs. Dodge Ram 16.2(2wd) 18.5(4wd). Not that we care too much about that. I pulled a 3800lb kubota backhoe out of a mud pit/sinkhole in my dad's backyard yesterday. Thank you 4wd Lo and RR Diff Lock, and of course my Coopers!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts