TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for the most scenic/beautiful trail near Beaver Creek. just something off any main highway, away from any large amount of people. the easier the better. my truck is a stock '06 4x4 TRD off road.

i will be in Colorado soon, but won't be able to meet. thank you for any suggestions.

-Mike

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I will also recomend coffee pot road - which goes up to the flatops area on the North side of 1-70 at the Dotsero exit (about 40 minutes) West of beaver creek on I-70.

That was WICKED scenic. Mostly a dirt road but you get up to at least 10,800 feet and are just driving as far as you want through miles of wild flowers, high lakes and cool rock formations!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Also in the interest that you will be alone there are some sticky areas on McCalister that if it is wet you would be denied. (It is very steep in spots).

Another awesome trail is Mosquito pass outside of leadville. This is the highest driveable pass in colorado - at 13,200 feet. Plus the drive to leadville (Via minturn) is stunning too! Just go up to the top of mosquito and either turn around or go down the other side and return via boreas pass (Como to breckenridge - dirt road) or hoosier pass (Fairplay to breackenridge - paved)

Do let some air out of those tires (down to maybe 25 lbs) and then when you get back on paved road you can cruise at 55 mph easily till you find some air! (Of you do mosquito there is air within 5 miles in either fairplay or leadville) Otherwise your teeth will rattle out of your skull if you keep full pressure ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you. i appreciate it more than you guys can know. this isn't a wheeling trip (and quite honestly i wish more than anything we weren't making this trip), but we're bringing my truck just so we can get to some of the most scenic spots in the area.

thanks again.

-Mike

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Coffe Pot road/flat tops are a gorgeous area, cant beat them. And you likely will not need 4wd on any of the roads in the area. Still worth the drive though, for sure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i'm looking for the most scenic/beautiful trail near Beaver Creek. just something off any main highway, away from any large amount of people. the easier the better. my truck is a stock '06 4x4 TRD off road.

i will be in Colorado soon, but won't be able to meet. thank you for any suggestions.

-Mike
I live in Avon and have ran some of the trails, the only one I did not see already recommended is red and white mountain, can find it here http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=199, easy trail for any stock vehicle, takes you from avon to vail.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool, thanks again! curious, are there any trails that go up and actually overlook Beaver Creek? i think we'll probably end up going on a few of the trails to see which one we like best for our intentions. :)

-Mike

·
Registered
680 Posts
cool, thanks again! curious, are there any trails that go up and actually overlook Beaver Creek? i think we'll probably end up going on a few of the trails to see which one we like best for our intentions. :)

-Mike

Mike shoot me a PM. I have asscess to local area maps, and some info also....

·
Registered
248 Posts

-Mike
I work in Beaver Creek and know all the mountain roads that go through the ski resort, there are locked gates about one mile up cynch road and one right away on dally road, sometimes the gates are open for resort employees but they are off limit to the public to drive on, and if you drive past the gate you run the risk of getting locked in, its happened a couple of times. Your best to go up beaver creek mountain is to hike it, ride it, or pay for the gondala ride up. The reason for for no access to public vehicles is vail resorts is scared of ELF, those crazy people that burn ski resort buildings down.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I work in Beaver Creek and know all the mountain roads that go through the ski resort, there are locked gates about one mile up cynch road and one right away on dally road, sometimes the gates are open for resort employees but they are off limit to the public to drive on, and if you drive past the gate you run the risk of getting locked in, its happened a couple of times. Your best to go up beaver creek mountain is to hike it, ride it, or pay for the gondala ride up. The reason for for no access to public vehicles is vail resorts is scared of ELF, those crazy people that burn ski resort buildings down.
Ah, good to know. I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but is there anywhere away from the ski resorts that isn't too difficult to get to?

Michael - PM sent.

-Mike

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it keeps getting moved back, but now it looks like it'll be Labor Day weekend. That way we can stay an extra day. :) I might actually be able to meet up briefly, but I'll have to see how that goes. It'd be nice to meet some more people on here! The Nebraska region isn't terribly active, haha.

-Mike

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
I didn't know that there was another member right in Avon, we gotta get out some time with the guys from Moontime Cyclery....

...Anyway I think that the suggestion of Red and White Mountain is the best. You can actually drive it all the way from Vail and Piney Ranch (the Ranch is very picturesque) way out to Wolcott (CO 131). The route parallels I-70 and there are many views into Beaver Creek, Arrowhead and the New York range. Keep us updated as to when you'll be trying to want to get out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, looks like there's going to be a slight change in plans. we were originally planning on staying in a mountain house in Beaver Creek, but that sort of fell through. I'll try to find out where we will actually be when I come visit, and hopefully I can still go up on some scenic trails, and maaaybe even do some mountain biking. :D

-Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts