TTORA Forum banner

what would you do?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 22re in my toyota started knocking this evening on the way home. it has no power and cuts off randomly going down the road. what would you do?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If ya gonna do it do it right and go with a 3.4. If you need this shitbox back up and running soon just swap back in what you already have.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
7mgte

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i pulled the valve cover off this evening and the timing chain has A LOT of slop in it. so im guessing all the noise was coming from the timing chain. replacing that tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i pulled the valve cover off this evening and the timing chain has A LOT of slop in it. so im guessing all the noise was coming from the timing chain. replacing that tomorrow.
let me know how that goes, i'm still planning on doing mine this summer.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Get the metal backed chain guides and you know about the "mystery" bolt going through the top of the head (at the front) and into the timing cover... right? ;)

...oh, and I vote 3.4 or go back original.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get the metal backed chain guides and you know about the "mystery" bolt going through the top of the head (at the front) and into the timing cover... right? ;)

...oh, and I vote 3.4 or go back original.
i know now lol. do i have to pull everything off the front of the motor to do this? :eek: can i get the metal backed chain guides from a regular parts store?

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
yes you do have to disassembly the front of the motor

check 4crawler.com for tips and tricks also metal guides are not OE so you'll have to order those in from englbder

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
350 and 350 turbo can find pretty cheap.
Close but I would pick a 5.3l Vortec over that due to power vs weight. The weight of the vortec would be less than 100lbs over the weight of the 22re and would double it's power plus you would get better mileage than the re.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If your not set on a toy drivetrain I'd go with a tbi 4.3 mated to your toy transmission via an adapter. The 4.3 is an easy swap and motors are everywhere. I'd recommend the tbi since the CPI unit is prone to cracked injector lines dumping fuel into the cylinders

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My vote is the 3.4 IF you want to keep it a Toyota. If not, the easiest would be to fix the current motor or go all out for the LS series chevy v8 swap. My ideal set up would be a supercharged 3.4 as that is what I'd like to do if I had the time and money.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
i know now lol. do i have to pull everything off the front of the motor to do this? :eek: can i get the metal backed chain guides from a regular parts store?
Ooops.. sorry, I missed your post.

Not for sure if you can get them locally or not.

Can get'm here...
http://www.engnbldr.com/

...I've purchased two sets from here. EB has better pricing tho...
http://www.doaracingengines.com/

And yes, as already mentioned you'll have to do some significant surgery on the front of the engine. Just take your time doing it and be careful with all the sealing surfaces etc.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay in reality how hard is it to swap in a 2.7? can i use my transmission that i already have?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
okay in reality how hard is it to swap in a 2.7? can i use my transmission that i already have?
Yes, thats why i'm wanting to swap it into mine eventually.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
13 Participants
Yotaoffroad27
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing