TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seein if any of yall put your motorcycles in the bed of you truck. I have a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600. My truck has the D rings in the rear of the bed, and the utility track. Would it be possible to strap it down to the D rings and the track system?? Any thoughts, comments much appreciated.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, the bed rail system will hold the bike. I have a Ducati Monster and I've hauled my several times using the bed rail system.

Just a heads up on the tailgate. They are weak, so I would not plan on letting the tailgate support the weight of the bike. If you have to leave the tailgate down with the bikes rear wheel resting on the tailgate, I would use something to help distribute the load. Something like plywood... I've seen pics of tailgates that have collapsed in the middle due to bike weight while driving. Rolling the bike into the bed is no problem, it just seems to be an issue when driving and the bike bounces on the tailgate.

Regards,
AC

07taco said:
Just seein if any of yall put your motorcycles in the bed of you truck. I have a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 600. My truck has the D rings in the rear of the bed, and the utility track. Would it be possible to strap it down to the D rings and the track system?? Any thoughts, comments much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
anthonycoley said:
Yes, the bed rail system will hold the bike. I have a Ducati Monster and I've hauled my several times using the bed rail system.

Just a heads up on the tailgate. They are weak, so I would not plan on letting the tailgate support the weight of the bike. If you have to leave the tailgate down with the bikes rear wheel resting on the tailgate, I would use something to help distribute the load. Something like plywood... I've seen pics of tailgates that have collapsed in the middle due to bike weight while driving. Rolling the bike into the bed is no problem, it just seems to be an issue when driving and the bike bounces on the tailgate.

Regards,
AC
Some of the bed-cracking stories I have read about on here had to do with using the bed rails to tie down a bike. I don't think they are made for that kind of load, especially if you compress the front forks at all. One guy ripped the bed rail off and his dirtbike fell over and cracked the bed by tieing it down this way. I would get some more d-rings and add them to the front of the bed at the bed bolts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the quick responses!! If i were to put a piece of plywood under the rear tire, it should stay in place no problem right?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The bed rail system is not strong enough to hold a bike. The tailgate is not strong enough to hold a bike either. Definately get another set of D-rings for the front. I installed mine as the instructions said but added JB weld under the plate and washer but some people have modified them to fit under the bed bolts. There is a guy on Toyotanation that makes a steel plate to reinforce the tailgate that is really nice. I have it and it is now so strong I wonder if the chincy hinges will hold up! I haul bikes with no worries now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I put some eye-bolts in the right/left drain holes at the front of my bed with some fat washers underneath. I strap stuff to those all the time. I brought an 86 Yamaha Virago 700 home in the bed of my truck with no trouble. I'm sure that's a heavier bike than your 600, since it's like 430lbs dry. (was on the highway for about 45 miles doing about 75mph - back roads the rest of the time).

I just used a ramp I bought from an autoparts store for rolling it into the bed (and my tailgate has a nasty dent it it, and still supported the bike).

Since you have a sport bike, a Canyon Dancer is a great investment if you plan to transport it more than once. It's a padded thing that wraps around the handlebars and has loops for your tie-downs.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bet all the guys that have ripped off the rails were carrying bikes while offroading. (probably off roading to get to mx trails) If you're just carrying your bike and street driving, I really don't think it's a problem for the rails. Just my :2cents:

Yes, I think the plywood would stay in place, if the bike is left in gear, and would not allow the tailgate to bend, provided you use something like 1/2".

If you have a longbed you should be fine as the bike will probably fit in the bed without completely resting on the tailgate.

UPDATE: I 100% agree that adding d-rings or eye-bolts into the frame is a much better solution.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ok I also have an 06 gsxr and all I use is the bed rails. I have hauled "two" bikes from Las Vegas to Los Angeles many times. All you need to do is put the tires in the center grove of the bed and use good tie straps. The rear tire does not touch the tail gate. Oh and if it helps I drive agressive and my bike does not move at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot for the responses guys. I'll be hauling my bike from NJ to Connecticut in a few weeks so i appreciate the help!

·
Registered
204 Posts
i nervously haul mine a couple of time...seen the bed rail flex up and i use my trailer for now on......ive heard of poeple losing there bikes with this setup....funny how toyotas sales brochure and a few commercials have bikes back there......you should bring this up if anything happens

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hauled my CRF 250X a few times with the bed rail system. I was not impressed as the rails flexed when I went around corners. The farthest I hauled the bike was about 200 miles (4 hours of driving) while using the bed rail system. I went and got some d-rings for the front that bolt to the frame and it's ALOT sturdier, the bike doesn't move at all now. I would recommend getting some d-rings up front and bolting them to the frame, I just used the two existing bolts that hold the bed down to mount mine to.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
the bed is even weaker than the older tacomas? I haul bikes and quads on my 99 all the time on the tailgate. I have a toolbox so the quad sticks way out to where the tires are just 2 inches from the edge. no problems so far.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i think the tail gate mifgt be better than the 2000 i had but the bedrail system sucks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Be safe and spend the $40 for another set of D-rings. Especially if you have to leave the tailgate down. Why risk a $7000-$8000 bike? Use a piece of 3/4" plywood that fits between the D-rings and runs from the front of the bed to just past the end of the tailgate 9in the down position). Tie it front and rear and have no worries. That's how I currently haul my Aprilia. I will build a better solution out of aluminum C-channel as soon as I get time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
silver-bolt looks like you got some nice toys any pics of the STi or the Lightning???

·
Registered
779 Posts
with the extra d-rings you should be fine.. tie it down secure and obviously test it out driving slow at first ...seeing how some users here are saying the rail system flexes around corners? I haul dirtbikes all the time with the earlier taco...(96) with a 13" bobbed bed... and I am still fine... just lots of tie downs for the merchandise.. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I have an 05 YZ250F, and I've been tieing it down to the bed rails and it scares the shit out of me. I've put three bikes back there and it was really ify. I ordered new D-rings for the front. I don't trust those bed rails. I mean they are only plastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haul my quad around in mine just about every weekend and have never had a problem with the tailgate. Now the rail system is a different story, the first time I used it my quad just about flew out the back of my truck (the sliders don't hold worth a shit!). The d-rings work much better.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts