TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting sirius for christmas, but I wonder, how did you guys run the cord for the antenna? I was thinking through the 3rd brake light, but I have no idea where the fuck to start with that. Any help?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
just got one also, haven't installed it. I'm kind of thinking about coming through the firewall & out of the cowl vent & sticking it at the base of the windshield longways ( -------- ) under the passenger side wiper arm... it seems kind of protected & out of the way there, even though it's not exactly flat to the sky.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe you would have to take the headlinear down to be able to run the cord through the 3rd brake light. I think I saw a how to over at customtacos.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Got a link?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rice Taco said:
That sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Got a link?
When I installed mine I ran it through the third brake light. I had to loosen the side panels in the back and just slid the headliner foreward enough to loosen the third brake light, since the nuts are inside the cab. I don't have any pics but can explain it better if you want. It took me about three hours to install everything... the deck, sirius reciever, and antenna.

As far as placing the antenna it needs to be like three inches from the edge or something. The directions tell you where to put it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mechanicman said:
When I installed mine I ran it through the third brake light. I had to loosen the side panels in the back and just slid the headliner foreward enough to loosen the third brake light, since the nuts are inside the cab. I don't have any pics but can explain it better if you want. It took me about three hours to install everything... the deck, sirius reciever, and antenna.

As far as placing the antenna it needs to be like three inches from the edge or something. The directions tell you where to put it.
I would be very interested in a write up of how to do that. I'm sure many others would be grateful as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rice Taco said:
I would be very interested in a write up of how to do that. I'm sure many others would be grateful as well.
I'll start on a write up and let you guys know as soon as I get it finished. I'll try to snap some pics when I go home for chrismas break from college.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mechanicman said:
I'll start on a write up and let you guys know as soon as I get it finished. I'll try to snap some pics when I go home for chrismas break from college.
sounds good, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Which sirius unit are you are you getting? Where are you going to mount it? I'm also getting one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sunroof

I ran my XM antenna cable down thru the sunroof, I pulled the cording around where the headliner meets the sunroof and tucked the wire thru there. It was pretty easy to pull the headliner down enouhg to get the wire from the sunroof to the plastic trim on the upper part of the drivers door so I could run it down the trip behind the seat. Once the cable comes into the sunroof you can't see the cable again until it's plugged into the receiver.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rice Taco said:
I'm getting sirius for christmas, but I wonder, how did you guys run the cord for the antenna? I was thinking through the 3rd brake light, but I have no idea where the fuck to start with that. Any help?
I went through the third brake light with mine, and it wasnt that difficult. I didnt have to take down the headliner. I was able to fish it through from the back window to the front A pillar on the passenger side. I have some pictures of what I installed and where at http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287397793
If you need exact instructions or whatever, let me know. I may be able to do some kind of write up, itll just take a few days for me to do it. I can answer any questions anyone has, just let me know.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Anybody know if SIRIS/XM would be affected if it was too close to the CB antenna? I have my CB antenna mounted on the roof (drilled a hole) and was thinking about running the wire through there and behind the CB antenna...thoughts?

·
Kill Yourself!
2,091 Posts
4xClover said:
Anybody know if SIRIS/XM would be affected if it was too close to the CB antenna? I have my CB antenna mounted on the roof (drilled a hole) and was thinking about running the wire through there and behind the CB antenna...thoughts?

I don't think so. If I remember right, Mike has both an XM antenna and a Sirius next to his CB and he has said nothing about it interfering.

·
Registered
297 Posts
4xClover said:
Just a guess here but if the radiation pattern of the cb doesnt disturb the xm/sirius antenna reception, the only issue I can think of is similarity of frequencies. If they are too close you may loose some satellite signal when transmitting your cb. You would have to find out the exact freq for the channel of cb you are operation and the operating freq of xm/sirius. I have mine about 4 feet apart and havent experienced any ill effects. :xbeer1:
-Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rice Taco said:
I took off my 3rd brake light, and made a little cut in the top of it so the wire could fit through it, but the light still fit snug back into place. I then tookout the middle bulb, ran the wire through there and put the bulb back into place. Next take the 2 clips in the back of the headliner and both handles in the back, referred to as the "oh shit" handles. GENTLY pull back the headliner(it will crease if bent too much) and maneuver the wire through the metal housing that holds the bulbs for the 3rd brake light. You should know what to do from this point forward.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
mine is located at the front of the truck, i didnt do the install, come to think of it thats is the only time i let someone else work on my truck, here is a pic of where mine is mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont know what size intenna you are getting but mine was small enough that I just put it on the dash in the passenger side corner. Its about a half inch tall and 2 by 2 inches. You dont see it at all down there and have no problems with reception. This way there is no mods you need to do and you dont have to worry about it looking good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Crash said:
I don't think so. If I remember right, Mike has both an XM antenna and a Sirius next to his CB and he has said nothing about it interfering.

Damn...XM and Sirius?????? I've had XM for a few years now and havent used more than 5-10 stations...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
zszac111 said:
mine is located at the front of the truck, i didnt do the install, come to think of it thats is the only time i let someone else work on my truck, here is a pic of where mine is mounted.
I wonder if they ran the wire under the rubber seal or something for that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts