TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've slowly been refitting my mountain bike with new parts. I finally happened across a set of rock shox that fit my bill on ebay. (newer than my current set, and cheap). While the problem is not directly the shox but the steer tube, I've discovered that the new parts are so cheap, that it's just easier to but them and replace everything. So I've got new shox and a new headset. The headset install looks very straight forward except for the crown race. So does anyone here have any good tips on swaping out headsets and forks? There are a few articles floating around on the net, but I'd like to hear some first hand experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
all the headsets I have installed I have simply tapped them in slowly with a rubber mallet, making sure they are straight than give em a couple good poundings and it will slide right in,
I race my santa cruz VP free and have had no troubles with the headset.

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
ive installed head sets on my own... its not that easy to get right. you really should press them in with a tool to do so really. having a loose head can kill your ass.

the local shop can do it for ya, but since you seem to do it yourself, just be careful. im sure the local shop can give you some pointers. make sure its greased up well too!

oh and rock shox suck. they are cheap for a reason. you will need a rebuild it every 3 months and hate life. Marzocchi makes a nice product, and isnt too expensive for the lower end (you can get a nice one for under $250) and will have ZERO issues.
if you want some shock help, PM me and i can point you in the right direction...

·
Registered
28 Posts
After racing bikes and riding all of my life, nothing works better than a rubber mallet! j/k, but seriously the old style crankshafts would be impossible to get out w/o a rubber mallet, esp after the bearings had been pitted. Yeah, take it to somebody that has the parts. Did you get the right threading on the fork size for your ride, cus that could be an issue too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
jrizman said:
ive installed head sets on my own... its not that easy to get right. you really should press them in with a tool to do so really. having a loose head can kill your ass.

the local shop can do it for ya, but since you seem to do it yourself, just be careful. im sure the local shop can give you some pointers. make sure its greased up well too!

oh and rock shox suck. they are cheap for a reason. you will need a rebuild it every 3 months and hate life. Marzocchi makes a nice product, and isnt too expensive for the lower end (you can get a nice one for under $250) and will have ZERO issues.
if you want some shock help, PM me and i can point you in the right direction...
x2 i've been out of the cycling loop for a while but rock shox have always sucked.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get a shop to press the headset in, it should be around 20 bucks. Rock Shox are fine if you take care of them like all other products. I would stay away from the Rock Shox SIDs though because new seal kits are hard to find.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I worked at 3 different bikes shop during high school. You also need to check the lenght of steer tube. If its too short, you have buy a new steer tube/crown. You can do the race on the steer tube yourself, if you have thick diameter pipe with OD just bigger than the steer tube. Or just to go a shop have them do it. It takes like 2 seconds. They just have a tube they slide over to pound in the race.

If you have a new headset you have press in the upper and lower crown. Unless its an identical headset. Press out the out ones are the most pain and you need a special but a flat head and hammer works if you dont care about scratching up the head tube.

Bike so cheap and you got a lot more for your $ nowadays. Why not just get a new bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

The tools aren't really worth buying unless you plan on doing this allot. With out the proper tools you may damage something. Bike shops charge maybe 20 bucks to do it. I guess it depends on how confident you are in figuring out a way to do it with out messing anything up.
Depending on how much the bike is worth I may rig something up to get it done.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey atwinda,

I've been working on my bikes for years, and realistically, if you're looking for tips on how to do this, it's probably in your best interest to take it to a bike shop and pay the $10-$20 and then install the race and cups.

I'm sure it's too far for you, but if you want drive up to HB, I can help you out.

UPDATE: I just finished reading this entire thread, and here's what I do:

Cup install: Get a 15" piece of all-thread, two washers bigger round than the cups and two nuts. Set the top cup in place, slide the all-thread though the head-tube, put a washer and nut on top and bottom and tighten until cup is seated. Remove bottom nut and washer, put bottom cup in place and repeat.

Race removal: I'm guessing you will not be reusing it, tap it off with a hammer and punch.

Race install: Get a piece of pipe slightly lager in diameter and longer than your steerer tube and use it to tap the race in place. Make sure the tube fits nicely on the race. You don't want to damage the race.

--- Make sense?

Good luck,
AC

·
Alumnus maximus
678 Posts
26er:
how can you take care of a shock???
you ride it, then put it away... it should work the next time you ride it without question... rock shox do not do this. i rode the shit outta my marzocchi (ive had 3 of them) and never had any issues. i ride the piss outta my current Manitou Nixon and dont do shit, and again, no issues (knox on wood).

Shocks are meant to ride. keep the seal clean and you shouldnt have to do jack to them in my opinion... but i guess thats why i stopped with the pos rock shox...

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anthonycoley said:
UPDATE: I just finished reading this entire thread, and here's what I do:

Cup install: Get a 15" piece of all-thread, two washers bigger round than the cups and two nuts. Set the top cup in place, slide the all-thread though the head-tube, put a washer and nut on top and bottom and tighten until cup is seated. Remove bottom nut and washer, put bottom cup in place and repeat.

Race removal: I'm guessing you will not be reusing it, tap it off with a hammer and punch.

Race install: Get a piece of pipe slightly lager in diameter and longer than your steerer tube and use it to tap the race in place. Make sure the tube fits nicely on the race. You don't want to damage the race.

--- Make sense?

Good luck,
AC
Thank you. I'll be getting a piece of tube slightly larger for the race install, along with a piece of delrin (sp?) as not to damage the race with the edge of the tube. The race install was what had me worried the most- everything else seems fairly simple. Thanks again.. and I might PM you if I have any specific questions when it comes time to do it.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Super Doody said:
I worked at 3 different bikes shop during high school. You also need to check the lenght of steer tube. If its too short, you have buy a new steer tube/crown. You can do the race on the steer tube yourself, if you have thick diameter pipe with OD just bigger than the steer tube. Or just to go a shop have them do it. It takes like 2 seconds. They just have a tube they slide over to pound in the race.

If you have a new headset you have press in the upper and lower crown. Unless its an identical headset. Press out the out ones are the most pain and you need a special but a flat head and hammer works if you dont care about scratching up the head tube.

Bike so cheap and you got a lot more for your $ nowadays. Why not just get a new bike.
The length on the steer tube is longer than what I need, so I'll be cutting it down. It's threadless, so no problems there. I'm completely replacing the current headset because the last one is pitted.

Why not just a new bike? Because this minor upgrade is going to cost less than $60 bucks and improve the safety of my bike. I do not have $1000 to throw at something nice.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Np. Good luck!

atwinda said:
Thank you. I'll be getting a piece of tube slightly larger for the race install, along with a piece of delrin (sp?) as not to damage the race with the edge of the tube. The race install was what had me worried the most- everything else seems fairly simple. Thanks again.. and I might PM you if I have any specific questions when it comes time to do it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I suggest not cutting it short until you have a few rides. That way you can move the stem up and down to find that sweet spot, then cut it to fit.. I always leave mine long enough where I can use a couple spacers up top until I find the right stem height.

atwinda said:
The length on the steer tube is longer than what I need, so I'll be cutting it down. It's threadless, so no problems there. I'm completely replacing the current headset because the last one is pitted.

Why not just a new bike? Because this minor upgrade is going to cost less than $60 bucks and improve the safety of my bike. I do not have $1000 to throw at something nice.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is a few spacers stacked in there at the moment. I'm pretty happy with where it is. But I'll consider that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts