TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been helping out volunteering on a single track trail-building effort in the vicinity of Black Canyon City on the weekends for a few trails ultimately extending from Carefree Hwy to the Prescott area (currently we've only completed it up to about Bumblebee) and eventually it will go all the way to Prescott some 62 miles or so. Its a lot of work with a pickaxe and the crew even has some small blasting equipment used to get through some of the rock. A local from Black Canyon has been spearheading the trail building effort. This is a single track hiking and mtn biking trail also open to equestrian use. Its only closed to motorized vehicles. But if you are a mtn biker or hiker, you might check it out.

The section between Black Canyon City and Table Mesa has been completed for a while, but we've been out of state and until yesterday only have had the chance to get the bikes out on about 5 miles of it. It's called the Black Canyon Trail, it now has good signage and has been rated the "Best Trail in Arizona" by a national Mtn biking group. This is the trail that crosses Terminator, where you may have seen some bikers and is different from the two-track wheeling trail called by the same name -- the Black Canyon Trail.

Melanie rode a longer part of it yesterday (the 12-mile loop) and she gives it two thumbs up - really scenic trail that gets into some open country with nothing else around. I got a call from her saying she was on the mtn bike out at Table Mesa near terminator, that she had run out of energy and needed me to pick her up. She only ran into a few other bikers on a busy Saturday, so its still a pretty fun ride without everyone and their dog on it. She gave me GPS coords and I found her out near the entrance to LT.

This trail required a lot of volunteer effort and planning to get it built and the end result is the premier mtn biking trail in the state. 3,000 feet of elevation change on the Black Canyon loop and it crosses the river, has some ridgeline and some tight switchbacks, some high speed sections and some trickier slower rocky sections, etc. If you are into that sort of thing, come check it out. Mel only covered 12 miles of the trail yesterday in 2 hours. It is part of a much more extensive trail system, again some is built some still being cut. Trailhead parking on the south side of Black Canyon City, west side of the main drag (Old Black Canyon Hwy) -- Turnoff at Warner Road. Its pretty well signed. :cool:

Watch out for mtn bikers out there in TM, fellas. Don't run us over. :D There is a trail map in Cosmic Ray's trail guide book and also a pretty nice trail map available online here...

http://www.imba.com/sites/default/files/documents/resourcesmaps/blackcanyon_11x17.pdf

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts