TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Busy weekend for me. I mounted up a set of recovery points up front and thought I'd share.

I took a piece of 2x3 in .25 wall DOM rectangular tube and mounted a set of D-rings on it. The same kind that you see on the back of dump trucks, big ole nasty things:) I fired up the trusty Arc welder and mounted the rings approx 3.5" in from the sides. Next came the angle grinder to take off the factory skidplate front welds and tabs as they were provoking me. I had the tube cut to 27" and did some light beveling and grinding to make it fit perfectly. I hit all 4 sides with the Arc and finished it off with a couple coats of primer and some flat black paint.

I had to notch out the bottom of my stock bumper to allow the rings to have a full range of motion without getting caught on anything.

Topped it all off with a bungee cord across and through the rings to keep them from making a racket while driving down the road. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I plan on getting stuck in the near future to test them out:)

This was also the first step towards the SAS that I am saving for, I figure it will take a year or so, part by part to keep the wife from realizing the cost involved:)

I will post some pics tomorrow, left the camera at home today...

Happy wheeling!!

Boheefus

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Boheefus said:
to keep the wife from realizing the cost involved:)

Boheefus

LMAO! aint that the truth. I just got my W2's and was wondering where all my money went, with a mean look my girl didn't say anything and just pointed to my truck ,... lol Now I could only imagine how she would have reacted had I gone with the SAS option,.... well at least not yet ;)

Boheefus said:
I will post some pics tomorrow, left the camera at home today...

Boheefus

Can't wait to see the pics. I've been thinking of adding some kind of recovery points up front and still haven't settled on anything. I need more ideas.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't wait to see the pics. I've been thinking of adding some kind of recovery points up front and still haven't settled on anything. I need more ideas.
I may go back and put in a 2in receiver in the middle. Probably should've done it prior to mounting, but I got an itchy welding finger:) On a side note, the entire project cost me $28 in materials, not including the paint I already had, nor the welding rods.

Boheefus

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used the stock tiedown points on the framerails to mount a front receiver hitch. I got one for free, welded angle iron to the sides and bolted it using the stock holes. I even put the stock tow hook back on to use as a spacer. Mine sits just below the stock bumper, and I use a receiver clevis. Front hitches are cool :D

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
tacoted said:
I used the stock tiedown points on the framerails to mount a front receiver hitch. I got one for free, welded angle iron to the sides and bolted it using the stock holes. I even put the stock tow hook back on to use as a spacer. Mine sits just below the stock bumper, and I use a receiver clevis. Front hitches are cool :D
Got any pictures? I have been thinking of getting a front hitch for mine, but don't know how it will look. You mentioned you welded angle irons so I'm assuming this wasn't the aftermarket type that they sell for the tacomas. Do you know if those sit just below the bumper too?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tacoted said:
I am gonna notch out the bottom portion of the crossmember to accomodate the sleeve only. I believe hidden hitch makes a front mount for the Taco, I know they do for Jeeps....hmmmm

Boheefus

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Boheefus said:
I am gonna notch out the bottom portion of the crossmember to accomodate the sleeve only. I believe hidden hitch makes a front mount for the Taco, I know they do for Jeeps....hmmmm

Boheefus
I've only heard of drawtite front hitch, but then againI haven't looked into it too much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do have a pic, but I had to put it in my old ford gallery :p Here it is:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayimage.php?&photoid=67262&width=2
I think it is about the same as a hidden hitch. It hangs JUST barely below the plastic. The center receiver is the same heighth as the tube, so it doesn't hang any lower than the rest. It was free to me, so I only have the time invested. I love cheap, it keeps me out of hot water.

You can't see it on that link :xcrybaby:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts