TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.... I'm sure this subject has been covered elsewhere but after reading posts for the last two days I haven't found a good solution.

I want to mount 2 20l NATO style gasoline cans on my '04 Standard Cab 4x4 Tacoma.

Currently, the truck is bone stock with a canopy on the back. I have ordered a Demello hybrid bumper along with some other goodies from them. My plans call for eventually adding an AT FlipPac camper.

I haven't found a good solution for mounting the gas cans. I've been trying to connect with the guy at Demello who does their custom work to see if they have any solution short of a full swing out mount but so far I haven't been able to reach him.

Their bumper sits pretty flush with the back of the truck so any bumper mounting will leave the fuel cans to effectively serve as the bumper which I'm not sure I like. I don't think mounting swing out carriers higher up on the fiberglass canopy is a good option either.

The other options would be to mount the can inside the FlipPac which any safety info will tell you is bad. Although, I've been using NATO style cans for the last 4 years on the Pinzgauer laying on their side with absolutely no leaks or other problems. I have seen other people carry them inside their SUV type vehicles with no problems.

Roof mounting is out with the FlipPac unless I want to remove them every time I open the top.

The other option would be to ditch the whole idea of using cans and go to an auxiliary fuel tank.

I'm open to suggestions from others who have solved the problem of carrying extra fuel.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
The use of a Flip-Pac, limits what you can use... Some people have still mounted inside the bed. But removed it when they went to bed.

1) BUMPERs - most people mount them on a swing gate that is mounted on custom bumpers.
I have a CBI custom bumper that holds my Hi-lift, spare tire and one metal gas can.
Click on to my Garage Section to view my bumper and stuff and other persons too.

2) Aux tanks - There are only a few companies that make aux tanks for a Tacoma, but only ONE that I know of that is in the states. The majority of the companies make it for the RHD trucks, not the LHD.
The major player in Australia, The Long Ranger, I was talking with them to see if they would be willing to make a version for the US market... after studying it, they opted out.
I will see if I can find the link for that US company.

Other gas tanks - The following link shows a Isuzu gas tank installed.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/fuel_tank.html

With EITHER version, bumper or Aux tank, I would recommend the addition of the Reinforcement plates to be welded onto the frame.

As for my future plans.... I would love to run an Aux Tank.
But for now, I use jerry cans.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is what i used to have. I decided i needed the bed space more than i needed the 10 gallons fuel and water. AT can holders bolted through the bed mat and bed. I had to put a 1" piece of wood between the holders and the bed so that a lock would fit on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will add the frame reinforcements when the bumper and sliders are installed. One good thing about forums like this is that you can learn from the experience of other owners so you know what upgrades are needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts