TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have BFG 33x10.5 15's on my stock wheels (including the shitty spare wheels). I was going to rotate the tires the other day, but when I got to bolting the spare onto the lugs, the stock lugnuts didn't seem to mate up against the spare very well. So I put everything back the way it was and thought I'd ask before I went any further.

Here is the stock wheel with stock lugs (actually I bought a set of replacement lugs a while back because my original lugs were totally thrashed from roadsalt, but they are otherwise identical to stock)

What I discovered is that the spare tire wheel doesn't have the same deep channel that helps center the opening on the acorn lugnut. Instead it's just got a slight concavity. Not sure if you can see from this picture:

It didn't seem like the lugs would hold the spare on very convincingly. (admittedly I didn't try cinching them all down) So what's the deal? Are the stock acorn lugnuts compatible with the spare and can be used to hold it on for normal driving, even though they mate into the lug holes a lot differently than on the stock wheels? Or just emergency short drives? Or is something totally wrong?

I'm just getting into wheeling, so I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and get a used 5th rim off ebay to match the other 4. I don't care about the aesthetics of driving with 3 stock wheels and 1 ugly-ass spare, but I definitely don't want 1 rim that requires a differnt set of lugs from my other 4, or that is considerably weaker then the other 3, since I will be rotating the 'spare' into the mix as if it were a normal tire.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
:dunno:

That makes me want to check my spare though. I would hate to find out there is a problem when I get a flat.

I have two sets of rims and tires and would prefer a matching fifth for each set. That way I can rotate thru all five.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The end of the lug nut is tappered just like the the wheels reverse tapper. It is supposed do be that way, when you tighten them that is what centers the wheel. Every thing is ok.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Also for the OP, the steel spare rim is not junk. It is prob better than any aftermarket steel wheel for quality. Several members have collected these steel "spares" into a set and run them for DD and wheeling. The stock steel spare has the same backspace (4.5") as your stock alloys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! That's good to know, I'll just rotate the spare into the mix even though the lugs don't go on the exact same way as on the alloys. Sounds like they still work out (and I assume I torque them to the same spec as per the manual).

I'm glad I went through this exercise before I was in an emergency situation, I feel much better about it now. I thought maybe I had misplaced a special set of 'spare lugs' or something stupid like that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts