TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

The company I am with has offered me a couple of opportunities to move out to Oregon, there is one location in Bend, Oregon and one up in Portland Oregon. I've spent time out in Portland and only about a day in Bend. I've tried looking on the City-data forums but everyone on there has all different interests so I figured I ask the guys that share the same as me.

I'm mid 20's and my girlfriend will be moving with me. We are both into the outdoors which is why we chose OR instead of any of the other locations. I like to wheel (obviously) ride dirtbikes, shoot, hunt and fish. My girl is a nurse and wants to get a location with a good hospital to work at. We're not trying to raise a family yet or anything but i'm not trying to drink like I'm still in college and find raging parties every W,Th,F,S,Su (repeat). But it would still be nice to be able to go to a happenin' bar and get sideways every once and a while.

From the time I've spent there, this is what I've gathered (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Portland

PROS

- Young, active town
- You can find houses that have space for a good size garage/workshop
- Mt Hood is close
- OHV Areas are reasonably close
- Good Fishing
- Cool nightlife scene for the occasional bar crawl
- Multiple job opportunities if I get tired of this one / Good hospitals for my lady to work at.
- Beer, lots of it
- Moderate winters, doesn't get too cold

CONS

- Pockets of Greenie Libtard Treehugging Hipsters
- Traffic
- Homes are more expensive to find one with a workshop sized area.
- RAINS A LOT

Bend

PROS

- Less Liberal, treehuggers won't be setting booby traps for my dirtbike (Trust me, they are trying to kill riders in NJ)
- Wide open, fast access to outdoors.
- Mt Bachelor is really close
- Cheaper Housing / Cost of Living
- 300 Days of sunshine (everyone keeps telling me that, is it true?)
- From what it looks like, a lot of trails in the area (is the access as easy as it looks on google maps or is that all private property?)
- Close to Hunting & Fishing / shooting
- Again...Beer

CONS

- More Isolated than Portland, Limited other employment opportunities for my girlfriend or if I decide to change jobs.
- Snows in the winter, gets colder than Portland
- Not as much nightlife (again correct me if I'm wrong)
- Seems to be an older retirement / vacation community

Honestly, I think we'll be happy either place we go (just happy go get out of Philadelphia for sure) but I want to get your guys input, so please enlighten me!

Thanks!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well out of those two I would choose Bend and from the sounds of it I think you would probably like Bend better too.But since you are from philly even portland is probably gonna seem small. It is a pretty big town that is surrounded by pretty desolate area(Most of the land around town is national forest/state lands). From what I remember though bend had a pretty big hospital (havent been to that area in a few years). There is defenately a lot of hunting opertunities both big game and varmit. I think the fishing might be better in portland if you are in to salmon/steelhead as the willamette and columbia rivers run through there.
Portland is chock full of treehuggers while bend is not. Besides that the traffic blows and it does rain a lot. Portland suprisingly isnt very humid and does have a halfway decent summer with streches of mid 80's and little to no rain for 3-4 months. The sun does shine in Bend 300 days a year but expect a lot of snow-which is a bonus to wheel in. In portland you have to get emmisions while the rest of the state you do not. Cant comment on the bar seen in either town but I do know portland has more strip clubs per capita than any other city in the states.
The only bad thing about wherever you choose to move to in oregon the income tax is pretty rediculously high but there is no sales tax. Im sure somebody who lives in bend/portland will chime in soon. I figured I would help out a little. Good luck with your move and wherever it is Oregon is a very beautiful state(minus all of the californians).

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Portland has DEQ(emissions testing) not sure about Bend. Bend will be better for the access to outdoors.

OHSU has a great hospital. I lived in Portland for years and really liked it. Bend was a beautiful place I only visted. What about outside of Portland metro?

Bigger house, still not far from wheeling. Better job for the Misses possibly?

My friend lives in St. Helens(west of Portland and cheaper) and it seems nice with easy access to the coast range.

If it is Portland I can help further.

Are you on Marlin's board? Ask Cheesemaker who lives in Tillamook I believe. Tunsten Slayer lives in Bend and is a bad ass builder.

If I moved back I would not live downtown like I did. It would be Bend or towards the coast for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I'm not a big city person either. I've only lived in Philadelphia for under a year for a temporary position for work. Wainiha, I actually grew up across the channel from you on Oahu, then went to school in California and work in Ohio, PA, now looking to settle in Oregon.

Can you tell me more about Portland? I got an offer yesterday which makes Portland seem a lot more likely. I definitely wouldn't want to live in the downtown area, but we were looking at the Tualatin / Tigard area over to Milwaukee and everyhting south of there. Any areas to avoid?

As far as wheeling/riding opportunities, I've seen some videos of Brown's camp which looks sick, but what else is in the area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The NE sucks compared the the NW. I'm going to try and move back to OR, probably Portland or Richland, WA in a year or two.

Portland is a pretty good city. I havent lived there but visited friends there a lot when I lived in Corvallis (1.5 hrs south) a few years ago. It's a good access point for lots of things to do.

But you pretty much got the big points nailed. If I could live anywhere, it'd be Bend. Mountains, desert, less rain, gets snow, wheeling, climbing, sizable city, mountain biking...but like you said the job market sucks. If freedom of firearms is more important you'll run into less, if any, problems in Bend (heard there are ~some~ restrictions in Portland, dont remember what) I recall hearing the only two areas in the state that require emissions testing is Eugene and Portland areas (I lived in Corvallis and Klamath Falls, neither required it). A hr or two from Bend is the Christmas Valley sand dunes that you can ride in, FWIW.

If you think changing jobs wouldn't be an issue, Bend, IMO. What company is offering you the kickass option of moving there?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've lived in Vancouver WA but worked in Portland for the last 16 years for a reason.
Fuck the Portland libtard hippies.
There are some great bars, great food, but I hate cities.
Our house is the furthest Vancouver exit (Vancouver is across the Columbia River) which in my opinion is the best place around (Salmon Creek). The housing is cheaper than Portland, and the people are better. No scumbags.
20 minutes east of me is Larch moutnain for mild wheeling and shooting. 1.5grs east is hunting. Hell - I'm right on Salmon creek and have 4x4 bucks taunting me every year, but I'm in a neighborhood and don't shoot em.
Our plan is to buy land and buid up in LaCenter (15 minutes north of Portland).
Salmon Creek has Legacy Emanuel and there are a few other hospitals in the area.
Traffic sucks at 0730-0800 and 3:30-5:30pm crossing the bridge. Takes me about 20 minutes to get to work (10 miles) but I cross at 0830. To come home it's normally 45 minutes.
Tigard is horrible traffic from Portland. Almost worse than vancouver. Pm me if you want more info - you sound exactly like me. LOL
By the way, Bend IS sweet - but we only vacation there. In my opinion, it's too far out. Job security in Bend would be my main concern.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Where is your workplace located? That's the question.
Hillsboro is called Hillsburito, and Lake Oswego is called lake-no-negro. Lake Oswego is expensive.
I hate going through the Tigard/Beaverton area for traffic reasons - but depend on day/time.
Tualatin is getting out of town a bit, which is good. If I worked in South Portland, I'd consider it. Milwaukie and SW is kind of scummy, unless you end up in nice pockets of Clackamas.
Either way, getting your ass out if Philly and over this way, I'm sure you will really appreciate.
Seasons - last year we had a week of 8-10" snow, and a killer summer with only a few days of rain in 3+ months. Right now were about to hit 80 and sunny for the next 7 days, but it also rained an inch last week. It's always like that here. That's why everything is green.
The beach/ocean is 1.5 hrs west, Mthood is 1.5hrs west, I hunt 1.5hrs east and west. Fishing is everywhere. Spring Chinook are killer when the season is good. The Columbia River has multile access areas to cool off in the summer (and many tribute rivers).
Dirt bikes and trucks - TSF ORV area (Browns Camp) is pretty sweet and 45 minutes away. Also Oregon coast dunes if you like sand. Tons of sweet back-pack in high lake hikes to fish and camp.
I love our area. Just don't tell anyone, I don't want them all moving here. LOL
When people I don't know ask about the area, we always says it sucks because it rains 90% of the time. :)
Ps my pm box is full, if you want more info let me know.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was in Corvallis - no emissions. I lived on Scholls and Murray -that's Beaverton. (Across Scholls Ferry rd. is Tigard), Beaverton is a pretty yuppie area and traffic sucked.

I lived on 16th(maybe 13th?) and couch st. right behind Sandy hut. It was actually nice considering it was between Sandy and Burnside. No yards or big garages for wrenching though.

The only benefit I see to being in that close are the restaurants and commute time. Living outside of town would be the best other the drive into town at rush hour. Better get in early or late to work.

My friend had a nice place on Scholls Ferry right out of Beaverton. It was getting more developed and probably you to a little farther out now for the same. The back road to Newburg from scholls had some really nice spots.

Eastside my friends brother had a nice place out near 110th. There is section 8 housing out there somewhere which may not be appealing though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is some great info Trevor. It's looking more and more like Portland is the one where we'll end up. my work would be in the Milwaukie area so we were looking South or West. I had heard thet there is a lot of traffic but 20 min for 10 miles isn't as bad as Philly...or Oahu for that matter. Definitely doable. Also it sounds like I would be going against the flow going from west to Milwaukie.
Most likely I'd be getting to work about 7, leaving around 5 so i think i'll be able to miss the traffic anyways.

I'm really stoked to be getting to move out that way, Philly is too much city, coal and snow. I love driving in the snow but i hate shoveling that shit.

How well does that work out by living in WA but working in OR? Do you still pay income tax to OR?

I'll definitely hit you up when it gets closer, I'm looking to do some wheeling / riding / shooting / fishing ASAP

·
Registered
808 Posts
Portland Pro/Con - Lots of dirty people with bad teeth and bad tattoos. Oregon is like Cali except with ugly people and rain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in Corvallis - no emissions. I lived on Scholls and Murray -that's Beaverton. (Across Scholls Ferry rd. is Tigard), Beaverton is a pretty yuppie area and traffic sucked.

I lived on 16th(maybe 13th?) and couch st. right behind Sandy hut. It was actually nice considering it was between Sandy and Burnside. No yards or big garages for wrenching though.

The only benefit I see to being in that close are the restaurants and commute time. Living outside of town would be the best other the drive into town at rush hour. Better get in early or late to work.

My friend had a nice place on Scholls Ferry right out of Beaverton. It was getting more developed and probably you to a little farther out now for the same. The back road to Newburg from scholls had some really nice spots.

Eastside my friends brother had a nice place out near 110th. There is section 8 housing out there somewhere which may not be appealing though.
Good to know. I was driving around there a couple weeks ago and I definitely found some good pockets on the east side.

Emissions - do you have to follow the rules for the county you live in or could i go get my truck registered in a different county? It passed CA smog when I was there so i'm not too worried, i just hate having to pay extra money for something as stupid as that.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
All the 8 years I was there I only went into DEQ once. That was when I was in Beaverton. I shipped my diesel from Kauai like a dummy. Fortunately 10,000 GVW is exempt.

I don't think there is any emissions requirements outside P-town but I could be wrong.

No safety check like Hawaii. Just registration. If pass CA smog there should be no worries. I don't know about registering in other counties. I'll ask my friend in St. Helens.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm pretty sure the surrounding cities follow DEQ laws like Portland. Vancouver does.
You can register outside in a non-DEQ required area, but pretty sure you need an address in that town. So Vancouver folks use Amboy addresses, but - it costs more to pay for the PO box than it does DEQ licensing. WA you only run throug emissions every other year and it's $15.00
I think our Portland trucks are around $30 a year.
Unless your truck is a pile or you cut off your cats, there's really no reason to worry.
Working in Portland and living in Vancouver - yes, you pay WA sales tax, and Oregon income tax. The sales tax is not really any big deal in WA unless you buy a house or a car.
St Helens and Scapoose are pretty kick ass. A few guys at my work live out there.
But that's a ways from Milwaukie.
If I was working in Milwaukie - I'd try to find a place out towards Canby/Oregon City/Lake Oswego/Tualatin.
PS - there's a new Cabelas going in around the Tualatin area!!
Previously, we had to drive 3hrs north to Lacey WA or 3hrs South to Eugene.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
PS - out of state fishing and hunting is outrageous.
For me (WA resident) to hunt in Oregon - it's $800+
And vise versa for Washington.
Also - Oregon is very firearm friendly.
Suppressors, SBR's, and machine guns are allowed.
Good stuff.

WA finally OK'd suppressors a few years back, and just passed SBR's - still no machine guns.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Oh - and if you ever need a office or warehouse job (and aren't a lazy loser) let me know!

(Co-own a pretty large company in North Portland)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No safety check like Hawaii. Just registration. If pass CA smog there should be no worries. I don't know about registering in other counties. I'll ask my friend in St. Helens.
My dad just told me how bad the safety check has gotten out there. My uncle just called me to ask if I had trouble with my bumper for safety check. That's the only thing I don't miss about HI.

Trevor - not gonna lie, pretty stoked. Saw that cabelas going in too which is awesome. That's crazy it costs that much to hunt. What kind of tags are you getting for $800??
If your inbox is cleared out ill pm you about the office job...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The $800 are for big game deer or elk if you're a Oregon resident and want to hunt in WA or vise versa.

I need to figure out how to pay for my little red truck to update my account for PM's :)

We went to White Salmon WA this weekend for a friends bday (wine tasting)
This was crossing the Hood River bridge on the way home today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The $800 are for big game deer or elk if you're a Oregon resident and want to hunt in WA or vise versa.

I need to figure out how to pay for my little red truck to update my account for PM's :)

We went to White Salmon WA this weekend for a friends bday (wine tasting)
This was crossing the Hood River bridge on the way home today.
Wow that is an awesome view. So I took the job, I'll be headed to Portland mid July. We'll have to link up and hit some trails!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Wow that is an awesome view. So I took the job, I'll be headed to Portland mid July. We'll have to link up and hit some trails!
For sure. I'll fix my PM box and send you my #.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Make sure to check out Union Jacks on Burnside. Very classy:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts