TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Taco....and just say a 2006 for the first time yesterday. I swear, if I sat down 5 years ago and wrote down everything I'd change/enhance about my truck and sent it to Toyota engineers, they basiaclly did everything I said. Anyway...

a few questions for anybody who has an '06:

1. If you had an early model Taco, how do you feel the ''06 is better (or worse?!?!)

2. Does the 4.0 V6 REALLY require 91 octane gas? What kind of mileage are you getting?

3. Can you get a limited slip AND an electric locker in a TRD taco? Can you get traction control AND the TRD package?

...also, I decided several years ago that my next vehicle will, no matter what, have a factory installed GPS nav system. Can you get an integral GPS on the '06 Taco?

Thanks a bunch for any help/advice here guys and gals.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Can you get a limited slip AND an electric locker in a TRD taco?
No.

Can you get traction control AND the TRD package?
Yes.

...also, I decided several years ago that my next vehicle will, no matter what, have a factory installed GPS nav system. Can you get an integral GPS on the '06 Taco?
No.

·
Registered
550 Posts
SilverStreak05 said:
No on the 91 octane requirement as well.
wtf really?!! god damn it are you sure? I have never tried running anything less than 91 because i drive up steep curvy roads all the time and want the best preformance i can get, but if 89 works fine, then i will give that a shot... i feel like an idiot since i have been so religious about using 91 :( well i guess at least 91 doesnt hurt the truck :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
A buddy of mine gets around 24-25 mpg (city) in his 05 DC with the 4.0. The only thing he doesn't like about it, he went from a 99 ExCab I think was the year... He doesn't like how much bigger it feels than his old one. I like it, a lot more roomy IMO.

·
Registered
326 Posts
He must have some supertruck to be getting 24-25mpg. I've never gotten more than 20, even when I was bone stock. I'm averaging 16-18 right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
white_eskimo said:
wtf really?!! god damn it are you sure? I have never tried running anything less than 91 because i drive up steep curvy roads all the time and want the best preformance i can get, but if 89 works fine, then i will give that a shot... i feel like an idiot since i have been so religious about using 91 :( well i guess at least 91 doesnt hurt the truck :)

LOL!

Yeah, I run 87 with no problems. Doesn't the owners manual say 91 if you tow, I can't remember for sure. I thought running on the lower stuff was the whole point in VVT-i?

·
Registered
7 Posts
PaulH said:
LOL!

Yeah, I run 87 with no problems. Doesn't the owners manual say 91 if you tow, I can't remember for sure. I thought running on the lower stuff was the whole point in VVT-i?
When I had an 05 I always ran regular with no problems. The engine is not made to take advantage 91 octane fuel.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I run 87 and it runs perfect. I've tried 91 and honestly didn't notice a difference in power, smoothness, or MPG. :2cents:

24-25 MPG??? I'm kinda skeptical of that. I wish I got anywhere near that. With the lift and my 285s I'm getting about 15-17 MPG.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It was a couple of years after the Tacoma introduction so all the bugs were worked out, like head gaskets and ECUs, it had the early styling. The latter is a matter of choice but I like the oldest model look the best because it looks like a truck and didn't try to look like a car. It was also before Toyota started making it cheaper by skimping on materials like plastic throttle bodies instead of the origianl metal ones, crappy little sensors stuck into a one piece moldied air box instead of an actual MAF and other little things like that. When I look under the hood of a later model, it just looks cheaper overall. I can only imagine that the balance of the truck followed suit in interior materials, paint, etc.

·
Registered
397 Posts
OR_05Taco said:
I run 87 and it runs perfect. I've tried 91 and honestly didn't notice a difference in power, smoothness, or MPG. :2cents:

24-25 MPG??? I'm kinda skeptical of that. I wish I got anywhere near that. With the lift and my 285s I'm getting about 15-17 MPG.
i run 87 and i'm with him. since my lift & mt 285's i havn't gotten better than 14.5-17mpg. i've done the math at every fill up since i lifted it about 4 months ago.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Dick Foster said:
It was a couple of years after the Tacoma introduction so all the bugs were worked out, like head gaskets and ECUs, it had the early styling. The latter is a matter of choice but I like the oldest model look the best because it looks like a truck and didn't try to look like a car. It was also before Toyota started making it cheaper by skimping on materials like plastic throttle bodies instead of the origianl metal ones, crappy little sensors stuck into a one piece moldied air box instead of an actual MAF and other little things like that. When I look under the hood of a later model, it just looks cheaper overall. I can only imagine that the balance of the truck followed suit in interior materials, paint, etc.
The '98-'00 have a look of their own, whereas the '01+ share a very similar grille design to the '95-'97, but I feel the unique look of the second gen is the most attractive. The '98-'00 also share almost identical design features under the hood and inside the cab so I don't think they are subject to the cheapness you noted.

·
Registered
606 Posts
OR_05Taco said:

His is a bone stock prerunner and he babies it most the time. He'll give it hell sometimes, and his mpg goes bad.. But a lot of the time, it gets good mileage. Hell, I get 19 mpg city in my 03 with the 3.4 . And I've got 285/75/16s on mine too. I'm normally always running late for work so I don't drive too slowly on the backroad highways to get to work, normally around 65-75 mph, and that doesn't really affect it all that much. My mpg will go down to 17 or so when I drive like that for a week :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
0stepside3 said:
His is a bone stock prerunner and he babies it most the time. He'll give it hell sometimes, and his mpg goes bad.. But a lot of the time, it gets good mileage. Hell, I get 19 mpg city in my 03 with the 3.4 . And I've got 285/75/16s on mine too. I'm normally always running late for work so I don't drive too slowly on the backroad highways to get to work, normally around 65-75 mph, and that doesn't really affect it all that much. My mpg will go down to 17 or so when I drive like that for a week :D
Ok, I was thinking it was a 4WD. I guess with a prerunner it could happen. I was just skeptical because even when mine was fresh off the lot I think the best I ever got was 20 MPG. I dont mind trading some MPG for off-road ability though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2005 double cab, Sport V-6, 6 speed
1) The new Tacoma's are better in every way from my early Toy.

2) I only use 91 octane when towing my 26' big boat (6500lbs). I also have a 20' boat (2200lbs) that I tow using 87 octane.
Milage is 15mpg while towing, 20mpg every day to work.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I also use 87 octane and have from the day I bought the truck, I average about 18 miles to the gallon and have hit 21 once but that was all highway with cruse control set to 70.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts