TTORA Forum banner

Moving in

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Avsfreak1234 
#1 · (Edited)
I am a local boy from Aurora Co. originally so I am not a transplant. I have lived in Las Vegas for the past 15 or so years and I am now moving back to Colorado because I have always missed it and want my kids to grow up in a place that offers more then valet or cocktail waitress, not that there is anything wrong with the professions. I just would like my kids to have different goals and Colorado offers that.

We have a place in the northern most part of Colorado Springs just before Monument. My sister that lives down off of research says that it is a very nice area of town and that the schools are great there. The whole point of the move is for my 2 girls and so the schools were very important to me. I am told that they will be attending the De Vinci Academy because the other school would not let my old one in. Any opinions on this school would be great.

I have been wheeling for over a year now and have only done desert/sandstone type off roading. I have taken a lot of time to learn tire placement and trial building. I started with an FJ Cruiser, no locker and modified A-Track hack, so I might be a little more aggressive then I need to be with the skinny pedal. I am hoping to work on that and learn more how to crawl instead of ram obstacles. I now have a 96 4Runner with the locker on 285/75/17's, not lifted till I move because I am still debating the type of lift I want. I was part of the 702 FJ Crew and they were a lot of fun to wheel with, and also taught me a lot about off road driving.

We will be there next week and I am hoping to make it to the Xarra race, but I am not sure if that is going to happen.

Hope to meet some of you or all of you soon and look forward to doing a lot of trails.

See less See more
#7 ·
Welcome! I'm in the area. My kids graduated from Pine Creek HS. One more to go. D20 is a great school system. Do you know if going to DVA is just for this year? I'll ask around about DVA for first hand experiences there.

#8 ·
#9 ·
sorry was moving so i did not have a computer.
Do you know if going to DVA is just for this year?
That is the school that we are zoned for. We live just up from it.

We are still crossing our fingers for the Classical Academy but I have 2 girls with about 5 years in between. they say the little one sure but the older one may not be able to go there. Even so, the schools and life out here are so much better then Vegas that I do not have a problem wherever they go. The worst schools here are much better then even the best (if existed), in Vegas.

So do you still have the FJ or just the 4Runner?
Just the 4Runner.

Is your whole clan coming out next weekend or just you?
Everyone is here now.

#11 ·
sorry was moving so i did not have a computer.

That is the school that we are zoned for. We live just up from it.

We are still crossing our fingers for the Classical Academy but I have 2 girls with about 5 years in between. they say the little one sure but the older one may not be able to go there. Even so, the schools and life out here are so much better then Vegas that I do not have a problem wherever they go. The worst schools here are much better then even the best (if existed), in Vegas.

Just the 4Runner.

Everyone is here now.
just from personal experience...I do not like Classical Academy at all. Bunch of jackasses attend there.

backstory:
Every year in High school to start off the season we had a soccer tourney down there. We would drive down, play three games that weekend, get our asses kicked (We werent the best team), and leave. After our loss to Classical 9-3 (I had the hat trick for our team) we were getting some concessions for lunch before we got on the bus to leave and some of their teams athletes came up and made some snooty remarks about our team. I told them sincerely 'good game' and tried to joke with one that i burned repeatedly who, on the field, was nice enough about the whole situation. It was at that point they threw some profanities down and started talking shit. They were getting pushy and wanted to fight. they just beat us...bad.

my friend Joey, always ready to throw down didnt help and only escalated the situation. I was my teams captain and was trying to keep the diplomacy on and off field. Needless to say I wasnt doing the best job of it since 3 of their players (all with small people syndrome, and one pissed off because i broke his ankles on every one of my goals) were refusing to talk and would only throw fists. remember, they beat us 9-3. One of their cute girlfriends came up and started egging them on. The shortest of the 3 took a swing at me because i was in his way of getting to Joey. I just ducked and he slipped and fell down from the top of their bleachers. At that moment "mom" drove up in a Porsche Cayenne with dealer tags and started crying for him to stop. So at that point they backed off.

since that year we havent gone back to that tourney and i have moved on past HS. but Athletic teams are supposed to be a representative of a school and their character in wins and losses. they had far from a positive light shed on themselves after that tourney.

This was just one experience. maybe the rest of their school isnt that bad. but those boys did not make me want anything to do with that school again. there are the bad apples in every bunch but when its the bad apples that you choose to show it doesnt speak well for the rest of the group.

but that aside, welcome to COTTORA and we'll see you out on the trails!

#12 ·
Let's get together sometime. We've likely seen each other on the roads in the area.
Would love to. Any time, any place!
Looking forward to meeting some people and taking in as much fun as I can.

Avsfreak1234 - When I was younger I lived on a farm in Utah and then moved to Las Vegas with my parents and they put me in the richest public school there thinking that it was the best they could do. It was not fun at all so I can totally side with your experience as it sounds like the first 2 years of high-school for me before I went vocational. Met some good people but got into a lot of trouble too.

#13 ·
i dont mean to put down the school. I just had a bad experience with them. we were always the small town underdog being from Estes Park where highschool athletic teams make ESPN for being "the worst football team in the nation". and when there are a bunch of kids from a school like that trying to pick fights with us it gets old quick.

the springs is a good place to grow a family. close to the mountains, close to the citys, and if your military the AF academy and peterson are right there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.