TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i understand on a off road forum, off road capability takes priority of mpg, but i am curious. i looked online and see that for a 98-04 tacoma ext cab v6 auto stock mpg is approx 18-19 city, 21-22 hwy. i know tires size and driving habbits have an affect on this. is anybody with a STOCK vehicle actually getting these figures? if not what are you getting??
thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
I get 19 to 20 for city driving....stock size tires..(265 R 70) BFG AT

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
i understand on a off road forum, off road capability takes priority of mpg, but i am curious. i looked online and see that for a 98-04 tacoma ext cab v6 auto stock mpg is approx 18-19 city, 21-22 hwy. i know tires size and driving habbits have an affect on this. is anybody with a STOCK vehicle actually getting these figures? if not what are you getting??
thanks
thats about what i'm pullin. With that, im not the typical 16yearold driver. I do about the speed limit and dont fly around coners like most do.lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yea, same here... I really baby it.. This things a DD so I'm hoping it will last me a long time...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
That sounds about right..........If anything the highway numbers are a little low.........I have seen upward of 24 on long trips :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I average about 18-20 around town, and trips from MS to AR I average 22-28 depending on the winds and such. Thats running an average 70MPH.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
That is the tire that I am running.

It will depend on your gearing (I got 4.10's) but yes you should be near there.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get around 320 miles before the gas light comes on. I do mixed driving, city and highway, easy on the throttle, bone stock 06 TRD 4wd with 265/75/16. 320/20 gallon gas tank=16 mpg!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
91Bravo said:
I get around 320 miles before the gas light comes on. I do mixed driving, city and highway, easy on the throttle, bone stock 06 TRD 4wd with 265/75/16. 320/20 gallon gas tank=16 mpg!
you still have some gas left with the gas light my guess is a gallon or 2, try refigruing with that in mind.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I get an average of 18 in the city. The only "long" highway trip I did was from here in TN to Myrtle Beach,SC and I got 21mpg.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am proud to say that I have gotten 25.3 MPG in my '00 Prerunner when I went down to Florida last year. Gotta love those straight, level, Florida roads. Normally around just daily driving I would get around 21 MPG, but thats with Brush guard and Can-Back, so 23 MPG should be easily reachable. In the city you can expect around 19 MPH. I can't wait for this "winter gas" to leave so I can get my MPG back up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Although I've owned my truck for less than a month (2004 X-Cab 4x4, SR5, 5-speed with the 3.4l V-6 and 265/70R-16 tires) I'm a bit obsessive about MPG, so I keep a record of every tank. I've filled up twice now, first tank was 18.35mpg, 2nd was 18.21. Keep in mind this is virtually all city driving, lots of short trips, occasional 5-10 minute warm-ups due to cold weather, and using winter (oxygenated) gas. I'll be taking my first "long" trip tomorrow, and will be interested to see what kind of MPG I get.

I've also noticed that my low fuel light comes on at about 16.7 gallons or so. Which means that when the light comes on I've got nearly 2 gallons remaining (18.5 gal tank according to the manual.) Typically that's at about 302~ miles.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
please exucse my lack if knowledge but ill do my best... something ive always been curious about. with cruise control on goin up long slopes or hills it will sometimes drop down, its not down a gear, i think its something to do with the torgue converter. then on steep hills it will drop down a gear. is it better mpg to let the cruise control and computer make the choice of gear and all, or pop off the cruise and increase fuel supply (via pedal) to maintain OD??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts