TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wanting to get a set of MT Classic II's with 4 7/16 BS for my 07 DBL Cab Off-Road... Would like to mount some 265/75/16 BFG AT's on them.

Anyone know if I'll have any rubbing issues?
Should I stick with 265/70/16's?

Thanks in advance for the help...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
They will rub some but its not too bad. If you dont want that then stick to 265/70s. There are so many lift options out there if you just want to clear 265/75s. If you research lift options before you ask peoples opinions they will help you a lot more. :) Good luck man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ty for the reply 06LVTACO... I was actually researching the Donahue CO's with Extreme Weather Coating (I'm a soon to be Nor' Easter). I think I will like the performance of those along with the 2" of lift it provides.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You will not be dissapointed with those coilovers. I love mine. That lift for 265/75s is perfect. You will have to cut and trim to fit 285/75s without rubbing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Just a little heads up those wheels won't fit the new tacomas. I know because I ordered a set and when the shop went to bolt them on they hit the calipers really bad. There was no way to make them fit. I have an '07 DC Off Road and ended up getting a set of the FJ TRD wheels with 265/75-16 MTRs and haven't had any rubbing at all with them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I tried the exact same wheel and no way it will fit.
Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah...i have to agree with cperc...i ordered the Mickey Thompson Classic Locks same size and style as the classic II's except with a simulated beadlock. They hit the caliper pretty bad. Discount tires called Mickey Thompson and they told them that the 16x8 Classic II and Classic Lock will NOT fit on the 2007 tacoma. No news on if they were gonna try to make one that would fit. I know some guys are running the 17x9 with a 3" lift, but they rub pretty badly onroad...i bet they are really bad offroad. Good luck finding something that will fit...it took me forever to find something. I went ahead and went with Eagle Alloy 137's (4.25" backspace) with 275 70r 17 Goodyear MTR's. I am getting them put on this week and will post pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for the heads-up on those wheels... I was on the understanding that I'd just have to grind the calipers a tiny bit to get them to fit... oh well.

Funny though, goon743 - I really like those wheels you got picked out... Be sure and post the pics, I'd be very interested in seeing them.

Do all the Eagle Wheels fit or just these particular ones? I like the Eagle 186's also.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
They fit. Don't be scared of the grinder.

EDIT: you can see how much I ground off of the calipers. It's just a little off of the hub side of the casting nipple. Maybe 1/4" or so. As far as effecting integrity, I drive on the autobahn everyday and use my brakes harder than 99% of the Tacoma's on the road, and no problems at all. It's just a casting nipple.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All I know is the 16x8 with 4 7/16 backspacing was no way fitting on my truck. The 3 5/8 backspacing would fit but i didn't want my wheels to stick out that far. :2cents:
Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guarantee you if you order the 16x8 Classic II or Classic lock...they will hit the caliper on the 2007. I tried both at Discount tire...and they will NOT fit unless you grind the caliper. I chose not to do this since my truck only has 2000 miles on it. I talked to the service guys at the dealership, and they told me any alteration to the calipers would negate any warranty on the brake calipers. Dont really know if it would affect the integrity of the calipers either, probably not.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Try the procomp 1069, which is what i have :D

I know yours is a different truck, but it is practically the same look as the MT Classic II. The Procomp might be even cheaper. Make a few phone calls to see if they'll fit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Goon, did the wheels almost fit or was it really bad? Could I grind off a couple millimeters and be ok or are we talking a lot?

I'm willing to get these Eagle 186's if it means I don't have to fool with it any... I'm going to be wheeling logging roads every now and then for hunting, camping, etc. So, I don't need rock crawling wheels. I just like the MT look for my truck more than anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Taco, from what i could see when they tried to fit the rim..I think it is just minor grinding if you do it correctly. I think you have to grind the top end at an angle. You would probably have to buy one of the rims or see if they would let you "borrow" it to grind it correctly. I have seen a couple of guys on here that have those rims and did the grinding themselves in their garage in under an hour. Discount tire would'nt do it for me and I dont have a grinder..so i bagged it. I dont know how much needs to be ground off though...sorry. Goodluck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah my truck was only a couple weeks old when I got the wheels and I really didn't want to have to grind the calipers on a brand new truck so that's why I didn't even mess with those wheels. You may be able to get them to fit it just depends on the amount of work you want to do on your truck :confused: :2cents:
Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had some 17x9 classic lock IIs on my 06' DC and I did not have to grind the caliper. I painted the calipers black it baaaaaaarely smidged the paint. If I never painted the calipers it would not have made contact. That is really close, but I never had to grind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
SinCityTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing