TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find these? I just got a ticket from some dickhead civilian military cop who said that Oklahoma has a mud flap law. My truck is registered in Texas and I was unaware of the law. Please let me know your experiences on this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i know some states require that you have the tred of your tire covered by a mudflap. but i thought if your truck was registered in a different state that you only had to obey those state laws, not the state you are in. so i would find out what laws texas has too and maybe fight that ticket if you are legal by texas standards. here in NJ we need mudflaps to pass state inspection. so maybe you could just call a local garage that does inspections and ask them if mudfalps are required to pass.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have seen people post about mud flap/fender flare laws and it shocks me. I live in a city where you can't drive 50 feet without seeing another monster truck (all street queens). I mean powerstrokes, duramax's and cummins on like 44's. Forget them just sticking out an inch or two, they are completely exposed! I have been here since I was 5 years old and have never even heard anyone mention the law, let alone get a ticket. If there is a law here, it definitly isn't enforced.

·
Registered
662 Posts
In WA the mudflaps must cover the entire width of the tread, and they must extend down to the center of the axle. The fender flares must also cover the entire width of the tire. I got a $101 ticket last week for it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah... I'm in WA and I got a ticket a few months ago.

The cop pulled me over - I'm sure - for dodging traffic. Thing is, I was going the speed limit and everyone else was going 15 under (20mph). I was merging, using blinkers, and not cutting people off.

He pulled me over, had NOTHING on me, checked my perfect record and then gave me a fix-it or pay ticket for mudflaps. How pathetic! I paid, cause I dont like mudflaps.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
seth_js said:
I have seen people post about mud flap/fender flare laws and it shocks me. I live in a city where you can't drive 50 feet without seeing another monster truck (all street queens). I mean powerstrokes, duramax's and cummins on like 44's. Forget them just sticking out an inch or two, they are completely exposed! I have been here since I was 5 years old and have never even heard anyone mention the law, let alone get a ticket. If there is a law here, it definitly isn't enforced.
its enforced here. several members have been cited for no mudflaps. its usually just DPS that stops people for it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
grumpy said:
its enforced here. several members have been cited for no mudflaps. its usually just DPS that stops people for it.
Have you ever heard of anyone getting a ticket in AZ yet? Reason is that seth js just posted, "I have been here since I was 5 years old and have never even heard anyone mention the law, let alone get a ticket. If there is a law here, it definitly isn't enforced." I don't know if DPS just has nothing better to do, but it seems like unless your driving like an idiot, have IAs sitting in your bed, or are smoking dope when you wave as you go by, then they should not really bother you, I would think.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
yes Yogi has got at least 1 maybe more. IF cited (at least here in Az) go to court and show the judge that you ordered the parts and they will dismiss it. Az law is as wide as tire and like 4-8" off the ground.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sure. I've got alot of expreience with dick head cops. Where shall we start???? As for the mud flap laws, i'm clueless. I just run 'em to avoid the dickheads.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
tacoman13 said:
but i thought if your truck was registered in a different state that you only had to obey those state laws, not the state you are in.
Federal law requires your vehicle meet the codes "for the state its being operated in" and "the state it's registered in".

The only waiver to this law is if your visiting for 90 days or less you will not be required to meet the visiting states emissions codes but must meet all other applicable vehicle codes. Local law enforcement may choose to enforce the codes but its at their discretion.

Military members are required to meet all requirements even if they choose to keep their state of record as the registering state for their vehicle. The reason for this is because theyre required to register their vehicle on base with a DOD sticker and congress mandated 5 years ago that all vehicles registered on a specific military reservation would comply with that states vehicle codes.

An example would be you are from Texas stationed in Calif, your vehicle retains Texas tags and has been waivered for Texas smog/safety inspection (if applicable) as a registered operated out of state vehicle, but to be issued a DOD sticker at the base your stationed at you must have a Calif smog certificate.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Here in CA you can get stopped for missing mudflaps even if that is the only thing wrong. Depending on how the cop writes the ticket, it can end up as a fix-it ticket, or a fat fine. I always put my flaps back on after wheeling.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
836 Posts
In most courts, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Even if your vehicle is registered in another state, you are expected to abide by local laws. How bad is the fine and how often are you in OK? A simple court appearence will usually get something like that dropped. If it's less than $100, I'd just pay the fine and be done with it.

What exactly makes the cop a dickhead? Doing his job? I've been harrassed myself, but in all honesty, I WAS breaking the law at the time. Put yourself in his shoes. Laws may be made to be broken, but they are intended to be obeyed. Even if we don't agree with the law, it's his job to enforce it. Please go easy on our public servants. Things would be a lot worse without them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Federal law requires your vehicle meet the codes "for the state its being operated in" and "the state it's registered in".

The only waiver to this law is if your visiting for 90 days or less you will not be required to meet the visiting states emissions codes but must meet all other applicable vehicle codes. Local law enforcement may choose to enforce the codes but its at their discretion.

Military members are required to meet all requirements even if they choose to keep their state of record as the registering state for their vehicle. The reason for this is because theyre required to register their vehicle on base with a DOD sticker and congress mandated 5 years ago that all vehicles registered on a specific military reservation would comply with that states vehicle codes.

An example would be you are from Texas stationed in Calif, your vehicle retains Texas tags and has been waivered for Texas smog/safety inspection (if applicable) as a registered operated out of state vehicle, but to be issued a DOD sticker at the base your stationed at you must have a Calif smog certificate.

Tim
thanks for the info

·
Registered
670 Posts
I Live in Maryland and Drive a 98 Tacoma and run 33 x 12.50 Thornbirds, We all know how wide those bitches are, and i have Extend a Fender Flares and no mudflaps the tires stick out about 2 inches past my flares, I havent gotten pulled over yet, suprisingly, Does anyone who about the flap/flare law in MD?? Thanks

1998 SR5 2.7L XtraCab 4x4
2.5 Inch Cornfed Spacers
2 Inch PA Body Lift
33 x 12.50 Thornbirds :D :D

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
faithoffroad said:
Does anyone know where I can find these? I just got a ticket from some dickhead civilian military cop who said that Oklahoma has a mud flap law. My truck is registered in Texas and I was unaware of the law. Please let me know your experiences on this.

Can't help ya with where to find the laws. I know a lot of comercial vehicle laws change and if you're not a big outfi you only are able to find out by the ticket or a freinds ticket.

Here is one that got a ticket the year before last for mud flap. Notice the axle dropping down out of the hanger. Took pictures to court of the exact same mud flap on the same truck sitting on the wheels and the springs back in the hangers and it was dismissed.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
tbplus10 said:

Tim
God damn... you a cop? :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
boophoenix said:
Can't help ya with where to find the laws. I know a lot of comercial vehicle laws change and if you're not a big outfi you only are able to find out by the ticket or a freinds ticket.

Here is one that got a ticket the year before last for mud flap. Notice the axle dropping down out of the hanger. Took pictures to court of the exact same mud flap on the same truck sitting on the wheels and the springs back in the hangers and it was dismissed.
Look at these mud flaps, I snapped this pic last year.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All of these are good points but now that I got the ticket taken back the PMO can't tell me how to fix the problem. In other words they don't know how big or where I need to mount mudflaps to make it legal.

Can you guys post pics of your mudflaps?

·
Registered
458 Posts
BigBro said:
Have you ever heard of anyone getting a ticket in AZ yet?
I was pulled over 3 times within 30 minutes on the way to jerome one day. Every single DPS officer that passed me going in the other direction turned around and pulled me over. Fortunately the first guy gave me a warning so the other two guys could do squat about it. One guy seemed really pissed that he couldn't write me a ticket... hehehe... I was also pulled over out in the florence junction area once. I actually had mud flaps that time but had taken them off cuz I was out wheelin. The DPS officer was cool about it and let me go once he saw the brackets for the flaps.

I can think of four other people that have been pulled over for mud flaps. It's always DPS, so I don't think the city cops enforce it much (if at all), and mostly its been out somewhere where DPS doesn't seem to have much else to do. However, I do know of one guy getting pulled over as he was pulling onto US60 and another guy that got pulled over on the 101.

later!
shane

·
Registered
161 Posts
Driving around this morning with my headlights and windshield getting pummeled by small rocks from various SUV's and trucks, I realized very few vehicles (especially those that should) actually come with mudflaps, at least around here.

Jeeps, GMC 2500's, some Fords, all firing rocks at me from the sand trucks.

I'm not sure what the law is, but I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed around here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts