TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, what do you think about the stock mud flaps on tacomas. one of mine got ripped off by a curp. should i try to stick it back on or just ditch them alltogether?

·
Registered
90 Posts
id say ditch them, but some states get fussy if you dont hsve mud flaps

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
bmw678 said:
alright guys, what do you think about the stock mud flaps on tacomas. one of mine got ripped off by a curp. should i try to stick it back on or just ditch them alltogether?
That's why you take them off when you get to the trail and then put them back on when you are done. I'm in CA also and have had a few mud flap tickets, some of them were fines!

Later,
....Mike

·
609 Posts
Mtnfrk79 said:
Don't give JonnyLaw any more of a reason to nab ya. Trail side removal is the best solution.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Really? I live in northen ca and I recall seeing a law enforcement vehicle (expedition with 31" wild cat mud style tread with no flaps. Beside that, stock.

But I think the mud flap rule is only in place if your wheels are offset 3" or more...something like that. Last summer when I had my 90 yota single I had thos eoffset wheels on it with mud tires. I got pulled over for speeding (19 over in 35). Got the full ticket, but the cop didn't hassle me on me only having one mud flap on and a out brake light, haha.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I live in Southern Republic of Kalifornistan, and have been running mud flap free for over two years since I ripped one off a couple times. I've not been stopped or ticketed for it, and I drive a lot in AZ as well. It's just a matter of time I'm sure, but I've been fine without.

I just lifted an inch and a half, and am thinking of putting them back on, but I will be shortening them by about 4" to 6" if I do so.

I also notice 2wd non-prerunner tacomas have some short mud flaps. That might be a "bolt on" replacement option that will keep them out of reach of most rocks.

Interesting you bring this up, because I was looking in the California Vehicle Code a few hours ago on this. Nothing mentioned for requirements, other than the width of the tire tread is to be covered, and that there is to be no excessive spray or shedding of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle. Pretty friggin' arbitrary and open to interperitation.

CVC 27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
What does a mud-flap ticket run these days by the way?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
sagexp said:
What does a mud-flap ticket run these days by the way?
The cost of a mud flap ticket can be pretty minimal if the cop writes it as a fix-it ticket. If that is the case, all you have to do is show proof of correction and pay a small filing fee.

If the cop doesn't like you, he can write it in such a way that you will get a fine in the mail. My last fine was $87.

Also, as someone else said, why draw attention to yourself? Missing mudflaps can lead to all sorts of other stuff. I would rather lay low when possible.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think I'd live with that ticket once or twice before I decided to bolt them back on.

I did get a ticket from an overzealous Los Angeles Airport meter maid while my truck was parked in long term parking because it had no front plate. WTF is that? Crappy little $30 ticket. Paid it, but pisses me off nonetheless to have a meter maid get one over on me when the truck was parked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I took mine off because my tire chains were making noises, and I was afraid I would ruin them. Then the idea struck me to EBAY them. I haven't been happier. If I end up needing mudflaps in the future, I will fab up something with the cheapest parts available.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
i run mine w/o em here, always have, never had a problem. I'm in kansas though and laws are less strict compared to like cali or something. However, w/o em i get lots of rock chips and paint problems thanks to my 33x12.5's and 3.75 backspacing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I accidently removed both front mud flaps at Barnwell Mountain, in Gilmer, Tx. Never did find em................haven't looked back.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mtnfrk79 said:
Yup what he said. ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I would saw ditch them, however since you are in Kali, you may want to get some "quick-release" ones from 4crawler. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/MudFlap.shtml

I had mine all sliced julian styl by the curbs and the body seam. I also went mudding and had them rip from the mounts in the front. These new mud flats are not as sturdy as my old '87 4runner mudflaps. And not as nice either. Hence why I have them removed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll be a disenting vote and say leave them on. I nearly tore one of mine off while stuck in a mudhole last summer, so I decided to trim them a few inches to prevent them from being ripped off while off road. Since then I have gotten countless more rock chips - I can't imagine what it would look like with the mudflaps off completely. Luckily I have the Lunar Mist paint, so it doesn't look too bad at this point. I may end up Line-Xing the lower portion of the panels though down the line.

Keep in mind that I drive hundreds of miles on dirt roads and jeep trails for work every year. If you don't off road as much (atleast through rocks), the lack of flaps may not be a big deal to you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i say take em off. imo, it will make the truck look better. you may get more rock chips, may not. you'll get rock chips with em on. body damage is a downside to offroading. just my thoughts :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd say remove them. I did and like the look much more anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts