TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at these two in 285/75r16.... anyone with opinions or favorites?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I couldn't be more pleased with my 33" goodyear mt/r's. They perform exceptionally everywhere, my only gripe is they dont clean out well in the mud.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
cauch235 said:
I see tons of BFGs out on the trail, but I haven't had personal experience. I love my MT/Rs. They do great on the street and out on the trail. I mostly wheel rocks, no mud for me.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had experience with both. I run BFG's now and couldn't be happier with over 45k on the tires and at least 50% tread on the lowest one.
The MT/r's I had expereince with (two sets one replacement) Gave nothing but problems. And has left me with nothing but bad things to say except their quiet on the road. Just my experiences.

·
Registered
104 Posts
cauch235 said:

I had the same size BFG MT's on my last truck. Great treadwear, excellent traction, not too noisy on the highway. (For an MT anyway) Never ran with the MTR's, but I hear there decent as well. Personally though, Id go with the BFG's, as they tend to be considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
148 Posts
cauch235 said:
What kind of terrain will you mostly be using them on rocks,mud,snow?
I have never owned the goodyear MT/R's but heard nothing but good things about them,I have had a set of BFG's years ago,and they did great in the mud. I have heard more than once that the Goodyear MT/R's do not clean well in mud. So out of these two tires, if your gonna be in the mud-BFG's ,if you are gonna play on the sharp rocks-Goodyear MT/R's for thier strong side walls.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I have been on 33" MTRs for over a year and about 10k miles now and love them...I have no experience with the BFGs but they seem to be the more popular tire on this board because of price and many other factors...I have read that they dont do well in the mud, but have yet to have problems with mine, if they wont get me there I dont need to be there, and I have yet to find something they wont tackle!!
I have had problems with balancing though, as many have reporte with the MTRs, makes for an od ride esp at high speeds, every time I take it in they are out of balance different from before...otherwise I love everything about em!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love my BFG MT's. I have always run them on all of my trucks. From a small 28inch stock tire to a 35inch tire. Works great during the snow season and I can't wait to try them out on my new tacoma wheeling.

Great tread wear, good price, and all around awsome tire.

·
Registered
351 Posts
goodyear doesn't make a mud terrain. the MT/R means Maximum Traction Radial. not mud terrain. they are better suited to rocks. the BFG MUD terrain is a better mudder but not as good on rocks. both will wear about the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree -

The BFGs will do better in mud and on the check book

MTRs will do better on the rocks, dont work real well in deep sticky mud - they clog up too easy.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
the only time ive gotten stuck with my BFG MT's was while trying to pull out my buddies F250 w/ a 6" lift and 35's that was burried to the frame in some super sloppy shit. if i spent less time in the mud i would have gotten the MT/R's

·
I think I remember where Moab is?
1,227 Posts
I have ran both of these tires in multiple sizes and my opinion is that the MT/R is 10 times the tire, but I hate mud. I use them for on highway, rocks, slickrock, and good ole trails. The things that I hated about the BFG is the the wet traction, and the fact that in the ice and snow I would have been just as well off with drag slicks. Now I know that you can't expect a mud tire to be good on snow and ice, but the MT/R is by far the best one that I have run and I am on tire set # 15 on my truck so I have run a few tires. Like I said though, I hate mud so I have no idea which one would do better, I think the mud has just as much to do with power/weight ratio as it does tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think i am going with the goodyear mt/r.... thanks for all the input

·
Registered
226 Posts
cauch235 said:
Out of those 2 i would definitely pick Firestone Destinations! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts