TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 03 tacoma prerunner and im pretty new to off roading wondering if you guys had any tips for mudding in a 2wd

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
first of all dont double post, but you will never do nearly as well as a 4x4 even if you are locked in the rear. just get out there and have fun. take a buddy thats 4x4 and go yet stuck to see how far you can really go. remember it all depense on the type of mud on how youll do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats my bad on the double post this my first time using the site. im thinking about purchasing some bfg mud terrains right now i just have some worn down all terrains i m hoping that will help me get some more traction

·
Registered
616 Posts
mud can be bad, does no good for the truck. never the less, make sure you have good dependable recovery gear and DO NOT GO ALONE. if your in a mud pit and start to bog down and aren't going anywhere dont push it or you will just bury yourself deeper and deeper. but like said above, there are many different types of mud.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tips for muddin' in a 2wd

Tip #1: Stay out of the mud.
Tip #2: Paddle tires and super-charger.
Tip #3: Bring a spare starter and/or alternator.
:p

In all seriousness though, good recovery equipment, locker, tall skinny tires, and lots of skinny pedal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i thought for mudding you want a wide tire for more surface area rather than a tall skinny tire for regular offroading. why would you want something that doesnt have ample contact with the "ground" making it in a way float over rather than dig in?

and you might want to do a rear differential breather mod so you dont get any water and mud in the 3rd member, bad times

·
Registered
710 Posts
x2 on the diff breather extension

You may be right for a 4wd. I'm thinking for a 2wd, that's just more front tire to be pushed through the mud. With the front wheels not spinning, they become more like a plow. The narrower tire will cut throught the mud, while the wide one will just push it. That's my thought on it. :2cents:

·
Registered
322 Posts
x2 on the diff breather extension

You may be right for a 4wd. I'm thinking for a 2wd, that's just more front tire to be pushed through the mud. With the front wheels not spinning, they become more like a plow. The narrower tire will cut throught the mud, while the wide one will just push it. That's my thought on it. :2cents:
u got that rite in florida the 2wd mud trucks have really tall an skinny tires up front an wide meaty tires in the rear in ur case id lock the rear end get some boggers in the rear an watever tall narrow tire u can get up front an ssling that crap

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The only thing that'll help is good tires. You could lift it to get some more clearance but IMO if your 2X4 cant make it through a mud pit at stock ride height with good tires then your still not going to make it through if your 6" higher up.

The Pre-Runner is more of a desert racer than a mud bogger. Go with a long travel set up and ditch the mud for some dunes. It's easier to clean up after too!
:2cents:

·
Registered
268 Posts
if you really want to wheel your 2wd in the mud the ONLY things that will help you is really good tires,locker, and experience. its not all just hammering on the skinny pedel cuz alot of time that will just throw traction out the window but when your in real deep goopy mud some times hitin it with a gap ass is all you can do but if you get stoped in mid pit let off the gas cuz it might just fuck you even more if you dont there is so many kinds of mud out there. just take a 4wd buddy with ya and give'r hell and get the experience and you will figure it out. but just remember you will never be able to do what a 4wd can do. GOOD LUCK !!!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
MUDDING IS FUCKING STUPID!

Prerunners don't like the mud. I had my Supercharged Prerunner on M/Ts stuck in the mud quite a few times. And that was on a trail run - not "mudding". I got stuck in places that stock 4wds didn't blink at.

If you want to go mudding, sell the Tacoma, grow a mullet, and go buy a 1979 chevy 4x4 with a 350.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
MUDDING IS FUCKING STUPID!

Prerunners don't like the mud. I had my Supercharged Prerunner on M/Ts stuck in the mud quite a few times. And that was on a trail run - not "mudding". I got stuck in places that stock 4wds didn't blink at.

If you want to go mudding, sell the Tacoma, grow a mullet, and go buy a 1979 chevy 4x4 with a 350.
just cause you dont know how to drive in the mud dont mean ya gotta stereo type poeple who do. its not all about power and mashin one the gas . its alot more faness and tech than you ppl think. most the time mashin on it will just get you stuck (prolly y you got stuck alot )if you know what your doin,a prerunner will impress you but still is'nt a 4WD. but any how, dont stereo type or judge another type of wheelin just cuz you SUCK at it

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Playing in the mud can be fun but at the same time its just stupid. Getting stuck sucks and I've been in that situation many times. Not fun. And dont ever go by yourself...I learned my lesson the hard way (had to get pulled out by my friends all-trac Celica)

·
Registered
322 Posts
yall are just jealous cuz mudders do it better

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Playing in the mud can be fun but at the same time its just stupid. Getting stuck sucks and I've been in that situation many times. Not fun. And dont ever go by yourself...I learned my lesson the hard way (had to get pulled out by my friends all-trac Celica)
what the fuck kind of terrain can you NOT get suck in? its not gay because you get stuck. i get stuck in snow, but that doesnt mean shit is still have an awesome time. It is gay because all u that think mud takes skill to drive in. come on now any dodge, jeep, chevy, ford, fag can drive there 16 inch lifted truck into a mud pit

1 - 20 of 135 Posts