TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I have read all the posts and the majority is concerned with SOUND...
My concern is MAX POWER!
How can I find out which muffler will emphasize my torque and horsepower?
Ive got a 05, quadcab, Taco, TRD SR5 with 6 cylinders.
I also need to know how to maximize my airintake, and not ready for Supercharger yet.
Yes, I did a search.
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
419 Posts
air intake-K&N Cold Air Intake, a lot of of the new tacos on here have them and they are happy with them, i actually have one myself. The hp gain on this is 11 and it actually gives you a dyno sheet from an 05 taco that was tested.

muffler-you'll wont get any gains just from changing out a muffler, if so, very little. The most horsepower you'll get out from a muffler is to get a full exhaust system. Banks makes quality exhaust systems and the piping for those is a huge increase from stock; 2.25'' to 3 inches.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah, and with the CAI when you suck in a little bit of water you'll also bore and stroke out your motor. Well... at least one cylinder or rod...

·
Registered
332 Posts
With any exhaust modification, you are making a decision. In opening up the exhaust (increasing tube size and high flow muffler) you are lessening backpressure. Backpressure is what increases torque. That will gain you a few extra horses at the cost of some pound feet of torque. Unless im missing something there is no way to gain both lbs/ft and HP. If you want some more horsepower, get the banks catback and a highflow intake. if you want to take it to the next step, i would go for a set of headers. the only company that i know of that makes them is JBA. As far as opening up flow thats about all you can do short of opening up your engine. That is far and beyond what you asked about. Port and Polish is what I am refering to. Plenty of information around the internet on all things performace.
later
Zach

·
Registered
196 Posts
the best way to get horse power is a intake, headers and ex. yea youll get more hp with a intake but thats about it. if you want to get more torque a combination of headers and ex will do this.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just installed the new TRD CAI system...so far...so good. It is accompanied by a Magnaflow catback system. The truck definately feels better than stock. I have no dyno numbers however.

·
Registered
395 Posts
any and all backpressure in an exhaust is BAD. what is important is exhaust VELOCITY, which unfortunately is maximized at lower RPM's by small exhaust tubing, which creates backpressure at higher RPM's. larger exhaust passages increase flow at higher RPM's but they kill velocity at lower RPM's and have the effect of decreasing torque.

so once again, backpressure = bad. velocity = good. :)

-Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys..Sounds like go big, or dont bother for real performance. Maybe I need to look at a chip???
Opinions?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Get a fart can muffler, some APC lighting and a bunch of stickers. Any carbon fiber that you can use will present signifigant gains also.

But seriously, http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16387&highlight=performance is some good info in exhaust systems....look at Post # 15 from Gadget specifically.

URD also carries a device to alter the MAF signal, which people have had good luck with. Read http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49491&highlight=4.0+performance thread.

Short of a supercharger, there aren't alot of significant HP gains available. Look into doing the deckplate mod. Headers will also produce some gains. Also SEARCH and ye shall find. There are many threads on here discussing the availibility of performance upgrades (or lack therof)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
the general rule of thumb is the more noise the more hp, but thats a top end rule... and exhaust and intake mods dont really "make" more power... they just allow more power to the ground, so it all depends on how bad the stock setup is. You will see a better gain with intake as more cold air makes the power better and more useable (might see a small gain in chp, but more in rwhp)..

I am suprised the exhaust on the new taco is only 2.25", I thought it was 2.5" from the factory.. a friend on mine has a 2.5" flowmaster on his stock, 95.5, exhaust, and it was a perfect fit...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing